_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Need help with decal disater
sfcacid
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 15 posts
AeroScale: 15 posts
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2012 - 11:19 AM UTC
So I wasn't paying attention to where my masking tape was going (quick touch up) and I destroyed the whole reason for buying this specific kit (Tamiya 1:48 FW-190 A3). After nearly screaming and throwing crap every where I finally put it up for a couple months. But now I want to actually finish some of the kits I've stared and never finished.

Basically I'm wondering what I can do to work with this and make it work out and turn out half way decent. Not looking for anything fancy, just something that will make sense. Weathering it up a bunch or on the extreme end make it look like a crash or something? Or if someone had spare eagle head decals from the kit that they aren't using that would be awesome ha.

Anyways this is what I have to work with. Any help would be awesome. And yes I'm still learning Ha.

JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,265 posts
AeroScale: 1,715 posts
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2012 - 11:35 AM UTC
you mean this?

just a random grab off the interwebs. Have you tried asking Tamiya if you can get a replacement decal sheet?

failing that, if you can find a good enough image, you can inset it into a Word document, adjust scale, and print on white decal paper.
Magpie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 653 posts
AeroScale: 165 posts
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2012 - 12:15 PM UTC
Given the regularity of the design I reckon you could have a pretty good crack at cutting a mask and airbrushing it?
sfcacid
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2012 - 12:18 PM UTC
Sorry, the image you posted doesn't work. And how would I go about getting another sheet from Tamiya? I saw something on the instructions or the box about that but it was for the Japanese market only.
sfcacid
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2012 - 12:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Given the regularity of the design I reckon you could have a pretty good crack at cutting a mask and airbrushing it?

Of the eagle head? No way I would be able to do that. Hands are waaaay too shaky to draw (stick figures are about it) and cutting a straight line alone oi.
Magpie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 653 posts
AeroScale: 165 posts
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2012 - 12:33 PM UTC
Print out a picture of the decal on ink jet self adhesive label paper then cut it our from there, using a steel rule and an uber sharp knife.

Give it a go, it is easier than you think. I am a total dunce with fine details work but I have had some pleasing results.
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2,798 posts
AeroScale: 2,443 posts
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2012 - 01:07 PM UTC
I'm with mag it's how I fix my oops
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2012 - 02:43 PM UTC
I have that kit and I'm not going to be using those decals. PM me your postal address and I'll pop them in the mail to you.
sfcacid
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2012 - 03:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have that kit and I'm not going to be using those decals. PM me your postal address and I'll pop them in the mail to you.

You're a goddess! Thank you!
berktuzuner
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 20 posts
AeroScale: 19 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 - 11:02 AM UTC
Tamiya's decals are too thick the results may not satisfy you even if you get them. I think you should consider to buy after market decals.
mrockhill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 566 posts
AeroScale: 507 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2012 - 06:11 AM UTC
If you end up needing more Im pretty sure I still have mine left over from this kit and Ill send them if needed. Ive had decent luck with tamiya decals, when the profiles are to my liking. They look thick on the sheet but have settled down nicely with some polly scale sol and set. Nice looking 190 so far!
NickZour
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
AeroScale: 1,241 posts
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2012 - 01:48 AM UTC
A cheap but difficult solution is to find the pieces that have been ripped apart , and get them together in the FW surface
Good luck, with whatever you do Mr. Cory

Cheers Nick
 _GOTOTOP