_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
1/48 Saab Lansen Build
litespeed
Staff MemberNews Reporter
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,976 posts
AeroScale: 1,789 posts
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2012 - 10:33 AM UTC
Hi all

I just started to put together the Tarangus 1/48 Saab Lansen. The large beast is impressively moulded and a dry fit of the major components results in a good fit. But I know as soon as there is whiff of glue in the air things can change.

I started by gluing the lower wing halves together and left them overnight to cure. Next day I glued the one piece insert that forms the main under carriage bay. The fit is very good and does not require any filler around the joint. The bay adds a lot of strength to the joint. The recessed ejector pin mark was filled and when dry, the ribbed detail was re-instated using a file, very easy. Not sure whether this repair will even be seen as there is a plastic part that fits over it. Upper wings were added later.

The cockpit tubs are separate so to make things easier I have added a piece of plasticard to join the two parts together. There is a little flex in the joint, just in case I need to adjust anything when fitting the tubs inside the fuselage. The forward undercariage bay has been built and added underneath front cockpit tub.

Added some platicard tabs to one half of the fuselage for lining up the two halves when joining.

To be continued………
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2,798 posts
AeroScale: 2,443 posts
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2012 - 03:56 PM UTC
I watch with intrigue sir
litespeed
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2012 - 09:01 AM UTC
Hi all

A have made bit of progress with the Tarangus 1/48 Saab Lansen over the last couple of evenings. I have put together the parts for the air ducts for the engine. There are some large raised ejector marks to remove from the inside. The whole lot was left overnight to cure before rubbing down the inside. The inside of the duct was primed with Halfords [a UK auto accessories outlet] grey primer and when dry [15 mins] sprayed with Humbrols Aluminuim 56 acrylic spray paint. The ducts were left overnight to dry before I then attached the ducts to the inside of the fuselage. A little trimming is necessary to achieve a snug fit. You will notice I have added a plasticard insert to the rear of the duct to prevent seeing into the cavernous fuselage.

I have started to paint the cockpit and also the reheat ring of the engine. I have left the raised ejector pin mark on the cockpit floor in place as they are very difficult to access. It’s much easier to drill a hole underneath the resin seats so they fit over the ejector marks.

To be continued………
litespeed
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, February 28, 2012 - 08:52 AM UTC
Hi all
Bit more work on the Lansen. I glued the fuselage halves, wings and stabilisers together. No major fit issues, the only un closable gap is just above the jet pipe. After a session of filling/sanding/filling/sanding the beast was ready for priming.

As ever I use Halfords grey primer from a spray can. A few minor flaws in my filling were put right. I have decided to use Alclad II for the natural metal surfaces underneath. I masked off some areas to spray Halfords black matt paint, again from a spray can, to give some variation with the Alclad finish. After the paint was allowed to dry I coated the whole lot with two coats of Kleer. I am just waiting on a delivery of Alclad to progress.

To be continued…..

litespeed
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 08:04 AM UTC
Hi all
Applied a few coats of Alclad II aluminium [alc-101] over the under surfaces. As you can see the results are pretty good. Let the whole lot dry for 24 hrs before applying a couple of coats of Kleer by brush. The Lansen was left over the weekend to cure before masking off the under surfaces.
Tamiya olive drab [XF-62] was applied, I think I sprayed it 5-6 times building up the colour depth.

To be continued....

litespeed
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, March 08, 2012 - 08:23 AM UTC
Hi all
Making good progress with this build. Masked and painted the canopy and windscreen. I have not glued it just yet, the seats still need to be painted. Finished off the painting the nose and fin top black and applying some Alclad around the air intake lips.
I have used some oil paint to weather the paintwork, particularly the aluminium under surfaces.
Another coat of Kleer and I have started to apply the decals. They are responding very well to Micro Sol. The decals only need soaking for a few seconds before they are ready to slide. Do not play around with them too long otherwise they will break up. The first one I applied did split as I tried to straighten it up. Once applied and the Micro Sol has done its work the decals look superb.

To be continued.............

Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 08, 2012 - 09:20 AM UTC
Hi Tim

Nice one! A fine build of an equally fine looking aircraft. I like the Alclad over alternate dark/light panels effect - I've never tried that (I've resorted to masking different shades of Alclad itself), and it's really effective.

All the best

Rowan
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 08, 2012 - 09:45 AM UTC
I had no idea that the Lansen was such a portly beast. I had always been under the impression it was much more svelte. One can really see the influence of the designers of the Tunnan
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 08, 2012 - 10:06 AM UTC
Hi Jessie

Come on, "portly"'s a bit unfair, isn't it? "Muscular" might be more apt - it looks like the love-child of a Sabre and Hunter on steroids, and it definitely fits the old "if it looks good, it'll fly well" axiom.

All the best

Rowan
Lars_Befring
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sweden
KitMaker: 7 posts
AeroScale: 4 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 08, 2012 - 12:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I had no idea that the Lansen was such a portly beast. I had always been under the impression it was much more svelte. One can really see the influence of the designers of the Tunnan

Aww... now you´ve made it mad

Really cool progress Tim!!!

My work on the RB04´s is getting along:

/L
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Thursday, March 08, 2012 - 01:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Aww... now you´ve made it mad

It's okay, I'll bribe it with Surströmming and Salmiakki candies.
Lars_Befring
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sweden
Posted: Thursday, March 08, 2012 - 04:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It's okay, I'll bribe it with Surströmming and Salmiakki candies.

Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Friday, March 09, 2012 - 05:36 AM UTC
And thus we see the reason why the Lansen is portly.

gd&r
litespeed
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, March 09, 2012 - 09:58 AM UTC
Hi all
Great images of the toothy Lansens Lars. The grin on the nose looks like the dentures from Dick Dastardly's dog Mutley.
The RB04 anti ship missile will be a great item to hang under the Lansens wings. I look forward to seeing it.
Many thanks for posting the images Lars.

Hi Rowan, yes the black and grey primers worked well with the one shade of aluminium. Saves money to as well as less work using the air brush.
Hi Jess, portly hmmmm not sure that's fair, poor Lansen is highly offended
All the best.
tim
Lars_Befring
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sweden
Posted: Saturday, March 10, 2012 - 10:42 AM UTC
Yay!!!

Digital work on the RB04C/D missile is done!!:

and now onto the Pylon!!!

/L
raypalmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,151 posts
AeroScale: 985 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 10, 2012 - 03:20 PM UTC
I see Gerry Anderson's hand in that...

litespeed
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 - 06:57 AM UTC
Hi all
Well the Lansen now has legs and is able to stand properly. I have also added the blade aerials and finished the seats.
Nearly there.........

Lars_Befring
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 - 06:49 PM UTC
Nice to see her on her leggs and detailed up! I love the NMF/OD look

waiting for the next update Tim

/L
litespeed
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, March 19, 2012 - 09:54 AM UTC
Hi all
Well I am calling this build finished. A good experience all round with a great kit. No great problems putting this beauty together and I would heartily recommend the Tarangus kit to anyone with some building experience. I am tempted to acquire another and try the Maestro Models decal for this kit release.
Many thanks to Fredrik from Tarangus for supplying the kit and also many thanks to Lars Befring for the many close up photos he sent me of the Saab Lansen.
Thanks for watching.
Tim

Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
AeroScale: 1,351 posts
Posted: Monday, March 19, 2012 - 10:15 AM UTC
Nice work Tim, I like the idea of the different primers under the Alclad I'll have to give that a try. I'm very tempted to get me one of these as it follows those fine lines of other great aircraft that looked right even if the Lansen is less well known.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Monday, March 19, 2012 - 03:12 PM UTC
Aha! Those side views show the sleek and svelte Lansen I'm familiar with. What a spectacular model
Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,707 posts
AeroScale: 1,119 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 20, 2012 - 06:17 AM UTC
Beautiful build mate, most excellent!
Remember the Lansen from my childhood, from the airbase in my hometown!
litespeed
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, March 20, 2012 - 10:01 AM UTC
Thanks all, it's very much appreciated.
All the best.
tim
Middle_Franconian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 279 posts
AeroScale: 239 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 29, 2012 - 08:28 AM UTC
Hi Tim ,

I just came across your nice Lansen! Well done! I think I will purchse one.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with this kit.

Best regards,

Sebastian
litespeed
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2012 - 09:48 AM UTC
Hi Sebastian
Thanks for the kind comments, it's much appreciated. Check out the Maestro Models detailing products for the kit to detail the cockpit and exterior of the kit. They are very good and I wish I had them when I built my Lansen. They will be going on my next build though.

Interior detail.

Exterior detail.

Ladder & FOD guard.

All the best.
tim
 _GOTOTOP