Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Eduard Fw190A-6 for Wurger Campaign
ludwig113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
AeroScale: 1,110 posts
Posted: Monday, June 04, 2012 - 06:30 AM UTC
well after seeing your build tom i've started my a-6, i hope it turns out as nice as yours.

all the best

paul
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Monday, June 04, 2012 - 07:02 AM UTC
Looking really good!
Nice to see it going together so well - I've been having some trouble with my Eduard A-8, though it's partly my own fault.

Keep up the good work. Looking forward to see it finished.
doubtingthomas
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 156 posts
AeroScale: 153 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2012 - 04:59 PM UTC
Thanks for the positive comments, Eetu, Paul, Luciano, and Neil!

Well - it's DONE!

Sorry for the lack of updates, but it's been all work work work lately with little time for modeling, photographing, etc.

The end of the build was fairly straightforward - just sticking on all the fiddly bits:
I added brake lines and straps to the landing gear legs with wire and foil. The landing gear legs were a bit fiddly as with all Fw190 kits - getting the stance is no easier or harder than competitor kits.

I had to replace the snapped-off inner cannon barrels with brass tube.

Lastly, I re-installed the deck machine guns and fiddled them into decent alignment. I'm noting how close-up photos make things look awful that seem perfectly fine via the eyeball - look at all that dust!

The one remaining thing I need to do is figure out how to get the gun cover to fit. It doesn't lay naturally and line up with the hinges (not that much lay naturally on this kit, so I'm not surprised). I think the windscreen is too raked, but need to check a few more photos.

So what is my final opinion of the kit?
The cockpit looks great with all the usual stuff we expect from Eduard. The engine has more parts and detail than is really required for a closed cowl, but wouldn't really have enough detail if you opened everything up. Surface detail is great. Construction has many potential pitfalls although I got lucky compared to other folks. Decals worked great. I am very pleased with the end product, but it took a lot of stress to get there.

Unless I wanted to build a Fw190 all "opened up," I would probably look to the Hasegawa or Tamiya kit and maybe add a Zoom PE set to bring the cockpit up to Eduard standard. That said, if you have the kit in your stash, go ahead and dive in!

Thanks for following along, and I think the next thing I'll do is start building one of each of those other 1:48 Fw190 kits and see how they compare....

Regards-
Tom D
Wisconsin, USA
ludwig113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2012 - 06:47 PM UTC
excellent, really really nice.

paul
doubtingthomas
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 21, 2012 - 12:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

paul

Thanks, Paul! Now let's see some pictures of yours...maybe in the Wurger Campaign thread?

Regards, Tom
cinzano
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 419 posts
AeroScale: 378 posts
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2012 - 12:31 AM UTC
Excellent build, Tom.

Gotta know. Does the gun deck hatch fit on your FW with the MG151s installed? (Mine does not).

Cheers,
Fred
DougN1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 410 posts
AeroScale: 409 posts
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2012 - 12:35 AM UTC
Looks great Tom, always like the checkerboard cowls!

Sorry to mention it, but it seems you're missing the breech covers on the top of the wing for the outer cannons?

Doug
ludwig113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2012 - 06:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

paul

Thanks, Paul! Now let's see some pictures of yours...maybe in the Wurger Campaign thread?

Regards, Tom

dont worry you'll see it, nearly at the painting stage...it stands out a bit from the normal fw190's...

doubtingthomas
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2012 - 09:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Excellent build, Tom.

Gotta know. Does the gun deck hatch fit on your FW with the MG151s installed? (Mine does not).

Cheers,
Fred

Hi Fred-
Thanks for the kudo.

It definitely does not cover them and come down flush with the fuselage. Honestly, I'm not sure that it would fit the opening correctly even if it did - not without some special attention to it as Eetu is doing with his build. I didn't worry about it as I intended to leave it open.

Regards,
Tom
doubtingthomas
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2012 - 10:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sorry to mention it, but it seems you're missing the breech covers on the top of the wing for the outer cannons?

Doug

AAAAARGH!
This has created a moment of panic! I ran down to the man cave to see if I just left off some parts (it wouldn't be the first time ). The Eduard kit doesn't provide separate cannon bulges or ejection ports... everything is molded into the wing and they provide different wings for the different versions. So if it's an error, it's a kit error that I don't see pointed in any reviews (so would be good that you called attention to it). Their A-8 and F-8 kits have wings with outer cannon covers, but not their A-5 or A-6.

My references are unclear on at what point (if ever) they became standard, although they do seem more prevalent for A-8's and later.

Anyone have the definitive answer?

And despite my panic, Doug, it's totally cool with me to ask the question of my build...

Tom
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2012 - 10:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Doug

AAAAARGH!
This has created a moment of panic! I ran down to the man cave to see if I just left off some parts (it wouldn't be the first time ). The Eduard kit doesn't provide separate cannon bulges or ejection ports... everything is molded into the wing and they provide different wings for the different versions. So if it's an error, it's a kit error that I don't see pointed in any reviews (so would be good that you called attention to it). Their A-8 and F-8 kits have wings with outer cannon covers, but not their A-5 or A-6.

My references are unclear on at what point (if ever) they became standard, although they do seem more prevalent for A-8's and later.

And despite my panic, Doug, it's totally cool with me to ask the question of my build...

Tom

Agreed! The cowling really sets it apart.
Btw, how did checker decals fit? Got the same kit in my stash and it would be nice to know if there's something to look out for.

Don't panic, absence of the breech bulges for the outer cannons is correct for the A-6.
The rectangular bulges were introduced in later variants, to my understanging, to enalble the installation of the MK 108 cannon for the sub-variants that had them.

This article on Fw 190 variants on IPMS Stockholm's website says the A-8s were always finished with the outer cannon fairings. (those A-7s with outer wing MK 108 naturally had those bulges too) This article on Hyperscale agrees, saying the bulges were fitted on all A-8 to simplify production.

But there surely were A-8s without the outer cannon bulges. I'd guess they could either be the result of field repairs where planes had their wings replaced, or right at the initial assembly plant, with existing stocks of wings used in order not to waste valuable materials?

I hope someone with more knowledge could clear it up?
DougN1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2012 - 02:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Doug

AAAAARGH!

Tom

If the outer canons are the MG FF type (short barrels), then there are no covers on the top of the wing. However, if the outer canons are MG 151 type (long barrels - which started with the A6), then the covers are required on the top of the wing. If there is no provision to have the long barrels and the covers on the top wing, then it would appear to be an error on their part.

FWIW, I have an old 1/48 190a8 in the display case that should have the covers but is missing them . I'm just sorry I did not notice it earlier so that you could have a choice of what to do about it Tom.

Doug
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2012 - 04:25 PM UTC
Tom, beautiful build there! Love that white and black checkered nose. I built one like it for a local hobby shop in 1/32 scale and hope to add one in 1/72 for my own collection. Good job. Thanks for sharing it with us. Russell
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2012 - 10:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If the outer canons are the MG FF type (short barrels), then there are no covers on the top of the wing. However, if the outer canons are MG 151 type (long barrels - which started with the A6), then the covers are required on the top of the wing. If there is no provision to have the long barrels and the covers on the top wing, then it would appear to be an error on their part.

MG 151s didn't require the upper wing covers. Fw 190 A-8 (#733682) at the London Imperial War Museum:
--link--
Here's a couple of close-ups: --link--
Note characteristic access panel with shell ejection chutes under the wings. For MG FF, the access panel only had a roundish bulge to clear the drum magazine, and no ejection chutes.

DougN1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 23, 2012 - 12:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

MG 151s didn't require the upper wing covers. Fw 190 A-8 (#733682) at the London Imperial War Museum:
--link--
Here's a couple of close-ups: --link--
Note characteristic access panel with shell ejection chutes under the wings. For MG FF, the access panel only had a roundish bulge to clear the drum magazine, and no ejection chutes.

You may indeed be correct, the one reference I checked showed that they were supposed to be there (and the Hasegawa 1/32 kit shows them there). I'll have to check again using more references. Good discussion nonetheless, it may be me removing them from my model in the end

Doug
DougN1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 23, 2012 - 07:07 AM UTC
Ok, looks like I was wrong (teach me to trust Hasegawa and an old reference book). Went upstairs and dug out the good references, and did some research on the A6, and indeed, there are no covers on the upper wings. So, it would seem Eduard is correct and Hasegawa telling you to put them on is incorrect.

I'm very, very sorry for causing the panic Tom!!!

Now, off to remove the covers from my build (like I need more delays!)

Doug
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Saturday, June 23, 2012 - 08:29 AM UTC
I checked out the kit instructions and it indeed has those covers as separate parts and points them to be glued in place. That's a bummer!

Seems someone wasn't paying enough attention when they made the instructions... If I'm not mistaken, their 1:32 scale A-8 kit came out first in the 190 line so they must have reused drawings from its instructions.
Well, it isn't the first time there's mistakes in kit instructions. Hope they got it fixed for subsequent releases.

Hope you get the covers off with minimum fuss.

doubtingthomas
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 23, 2012 - 11:34 AM UTC
Naturally, I will believe the set of references that best support they way I built the kit!

Thanks for all the info, guys - I learned something. One thing I love about Aeroscale is that you can have that kind of discussion without it degenerating into a viscous mess.

I noticed that many very good modelers put the covers on their Hasegawa kit - including Ian Robertson's build of the same aircraft: http://hyperscale.com/2007/features/fw190a632ir_1.htm
I don't see them on any of the Eduard A-6 builds.
Looks like folks tend to follow the directions!

Eetu- the checkerboard decals fit very well. I had to touch up just a little.

Regards, Tom
DougN1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 24, 2012 - 06:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I checked out the kit instructions and it indeed has those covers as separate parts and points them to be glued in place. That's a bummer!

Seems someone wasn't paying enough attention when they made the instructions... If I'm not mistaken, their 1:32 scale A-8 kit came out first in the 190 line so they must have reused drawings from its instructions.
Well, it isn't the first time there's mistakes in kit instructions. Hope they got it fixed for subsequent releases.

Hope you get the covers off with minimum fuss.

I was thinking the same thing. I got my model straightened out (see my build blog so we don't continue to hijack Tom's build blog). I should send a strongly worded email to the folks at Hasegawa and tell them I want to be reimbursed for my time in correcting their error! And that they should also put an addendum sheet in their kits telling modelers not to put the covers on...

Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled program!

Doug
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 24, 2012 - 08:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What sacrilege is this? These people call themselves modellers???!?
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Sunday, June 24, 2012 - 11:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I noticed that many very good modelers put the covers on their Hasegawa kit - including Ian Robertson's build of the same aircraft: http://hyperscale.com/2007/features/fw190a632ir_1.htm
I don't see them on any of the Eduard A-6 builds.

Eetu- the checkerboard decals fit very well. I had to touch up just a little.

Regards, Tom

Thanks for the info! The reason you don't see the covers on Eduard A-6s is simple: the kit doesn't come with them. Instead of separate parts and inserts to get multiple variants with minimum new tooling, they made whole upper wing halves with and without the covers. Same with variant-specific fuselages.

Oh, instructions... Reminds me of Hasegawa's B-239 Brewster. Its instructions pointed the reflector gunsight to be glued in front of the windscreen! I suspect careless recycing of drawings from earlier kit(s) to be culprit.
And Revell's re-boxing of Hasegawa's 1:48 Spitfire IX/XVI. The instructions only show the mk.IX cannon arrangement, and only the painting and marking section showing the differences. Guess who found that out the hard way?
And no such omissions in the original.
erwin_rommel
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Brest, Belarus
KitMaker: 105 posts
AeroScale: 76 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 04, 2012 - 07:30 AM UTC
Not bad Mate))) Good work done
 _GOTOTOP