_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
KotS GB 2012 Nieuport XI- MGunns
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 11, 2012 - 01:01 PM UTC
Okay folks:

I changed my mind. I am doing the AModel Nieuport II in the kit supplied markings of Alvaro Leonardi. I know nothing of the man or the aircraft other than I like the markings. I will do some research and see what I come up with. In the meantime I have started. I have gotten spoiled by the quality of the moldings present in a WNW kit, so this is a challenge as there is a lot of fitting, filing, filling and sanding, but it seems to be going together fairly well once the above work is done. I like the Ne.II for a number of reasons chiefly, it was a good airplane and the design was good as it fathered many derivitives. Here are some photos of what I have:

The box art:

And the parts array:

The moldings are a little soft as is the plastic, but so far things are progressing nicely. You can see the decal sheet tucked in the corner, it has the artwork of the "Homer Simpson" looking character and the serial number. What I have read is, if memory served me correctly, is that he was a character in an Italian comic strip. As mentioned, I will be doing some research on it and the pilot and hopefully come up with some photo's of the actual aircraft.

Nothing exciting right now, but that is where I am at. I could have made more progress but with temps in the mid 60's today, I had to take the Harley out and go for a ride.
Thanks for stopping by.

Best
Mark
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,032 posts
AeroScale: 1,025 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 11, 2012 - 01:46 PM UTC
Mark,
Good on ya, a good weather run on the Harley will be great for your morale I`m certain!
I`d not heard of this kit before so did a very brief search, lots of answers to your questions on Merlin`s Review of Weds. 30 June 2010 with specifics from Stephen on the pilot and the Logo. Where did you buy the kit, one link on the search mentions EBay as the only source as they are apparently very limited runs.
Looking forward to your build, should be very unique.
Cheers,
Lance
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 11, 2012 - 02:21 PM UTC
Here is a bit of fun on the subject:

Quoted Text

"Nieuport XI N2123 was licence-built by Nieuport Macchi at Varese and was assigned to the 80a Squadriglia, most probably in 1917. Although I cannot confirm when it left the production line, it was with that unit in May 1917. It became the personal mount of Sgt. Alvaro Leonardi, who survived the war with a score of 8 confirmed victories. The first (and only) of those kills gained at the controls of Ni. 2123 was scored by Leonardi on the 24th May 1917, shooting down an Ufag L1 seaplane (L1 36 or L1 37). It seems that the ‘Fortunello’ was very popular as a personal marking with the pilots of 80a Squadriglia, as many of them had one, each of different features. Regards Alberto Casirati. This kit was built from the Nieuport 11 Eduard Profipack kit #8070."

Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2012 - 12:25 AM UTC
Thanks Stephen for the info on Alvaro Leonardi.
@ Lance: I have tried to find the article you mentioned, but for some reason it isn't coming up. I bought this from Mike Taylor at Misterkitusa. He carries Amodel and Avis kits as well as others. It was a bit spendy, but I likek the markings and it is the only Bebe around in 1/32nd scale.

Here is what I managed to find on a WWI Modeling site, photos submitted by JAMO from N/Z:

Note on this example and Stephen's model, that the top wings of the wings aren't painted in the Italian tri-color as indicated in the instructions.

Best
Mark
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,032 posts
AeroScale: 1,025 posts
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2012 - 02:03 AM UTC
Mark,
The info I referred to is the full(er) version of Stephen's reply above. Go to "Search" top of this page, type in "AModel" and then look for item "AeroScale Italian Nieuport II" That will give you Merlin's Review, then go to the Comments-read more and you'll have it.
I found the Kit also on Roll Model's Site; as you say pricey. I`ll be watching your build to determine if it`s worth the $.
Thanks for the info.
Cheers,
Lance
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2012 - 04:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

". . . I`d not heard of this kit before so did a very brief search, lots of answers to your questions on Merlin`s Review of Weds. 30 June 2010 with specifics from Stephen on the pilot and the Logo. . .Lance

Actually it was a "News" item. Its not in the reviews section.
gajouette
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 365 posts
AeroScale: 356 posts
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2012 - 05:07 AM UTC
Mark,
I'm eagerly awaiting the first new update my friend. I have the same kit I bought from Mike during the last bulk buy. Saw those markings and just fell in love with them and had to have the kit. I'm looking forward to following along with your thread,no doubt picking up some excellent tips along the way.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2012 - 06:23 AM UTC
Thanks Lance and Stephen: I finally did find the review and with some web brousing found some pictures of the replica in N.Z.

@Greg: I should be posting some pictures tonight. A lot of trimming and filing right now, the usual preliminary procedures that are required before actual assembly. I too am looking forward to getting underway.
Best

Mark
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2012 - 08:41 PM UTC
Hi Mark, I really like the look of this one – the Italians really had a way of doing nice paint jobs on their machines.

Looking forward to se what you'll make of this one!

Mikael
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 - 10:36 AM UTC
Very cool subject Mark ! Always wanted to do this scheme , have a spare cowl and engine . Shouldn't be to hard to scratch the rest .

Looking forward to seeing your progress .

Terri
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 - 02:27 AM UTC
I can't wait for your opinios as you build, I've often considered buying one of AModels kits but always wondered at the work involved to get one upto scratch. Looking forward to seeing how you progress.

Got to love those Italian colours for adding a splash of interest to your shelf/case/display.

Keith
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 - 02:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Very cool subject Mark ! Always wanted to do this scheme , have a spare cowl and engine . Shouldn't be to hard to scratch the rest .

Looking forward to seeing your progress .

Terri

Oh! getting the urge again to scratch Terri? Errrrr... ummm not phrased in the best of ways but good to seee you considering it
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2012 - 12:04 AM UTC
Greetings all:

Thanks for the encouragement. I have had to take a different approach with this kit. Lots of patience, unlike a WNW kit, this requires much test fitting, I had to take the dremel out, so I am taking my time on this. I did make some progress and will post some photo's this evening. Most effort revolved around re-doing the engine. I had to cut the push rods off the ring as the ring makes the intake tubes assembly stand proud. I have now rectified that and will finish the motor this evening. Another area is the seat. Amodel provides a perforated seat back in plastic, however when bending it, I even soaked it in hot water to soften it, it breaks. I had the Tom's Modelworks PE Set for the Nieuport 17 and used the PE seat back, but for some reason it wouldn't stick to the plastic using super glue. I finally got it to stick but it is a delicate thing. I have that painted and awaiting seat belts, I should have that accomplished as well. Another issue is, I guess it is the fuel tank, it is a box like structure molded to fold together, however it doesn't work like that, so I had to separate the pieces, take out the moto dremel tool and grind away, it is fairly well hidden under the forward deck but the fit isn't very good. The interior framing is molded into the sides of the fuselage so I drilled holes and will apply rigging where visible as required. I am hoping to have the fuselage buttoned up this weekend. I have managed get the wood items painted and wood grained, i.e., the interplane "V" struts and the cockpit components. It is challenging, but nothing I can't handle, I think. It sure makes you appreciate the effort that WNW takes to make a fun build. Anyway, that is all I have for now, no photos, but they are forthcoming. Thanks to Stephen for supplying photo's of his model for guidance.

Best
Mark
xmald11
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wojewodztwo Wielkopolskie, Poland
KitMaker: 135 posts
AeroScale: 135 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 08, 2012 - 08:52 AM UTC
Don`t know if it`s going to help you but take a look...
I used these sources to build my Ni.11.
here.

http://www.wwi-models.org/Images/Landon/Nie11/index.html

And here`s what should be most valuable because it`s your Ni:
here.

And another great website:
http://www.mincbergr.net/index.php?page=nieuport-11-2
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 08, 2012 - 02:21 PM UTC
Hello Filip:

Thanks for stopping by and thanks for the great references. Right now I put this on the back burner, to return to it when I have the motivation to tinker with it. I will return and get it finished (I hope) in time for completion. Your references will certainly come in handy.

Thanks again

Mark
 _GOTOTOP