_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
AH 60 DAP Interior
Cuny12
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Australia
KitMaker: 378 posts
AeroScale: 3 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 20, 2012 - 02:23 AM UTC
Hi all I am chasing a prepainted Interior set by Eduard for the DAP kit by Academy and am wondering whether The UH-60L Interior set will work or which specific item do I need.

Cheers cuny12.
Removed by original poster on 03/20/12 - 20:41:50 (GMT).
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 20, 2012 - 08:47 AM UTC
I don't think there is an Eduard MH-60L DAP set. The UH-60L set will work to a point. The common items (seat belts, roof pieces, gunners' bulkheads detail, pedals, etc.) will be usable, but the IP on an MH-60L is very different from that of a UH-60. The MH has multi-function digital displays as opposed to the analog gauges of the UH. Eduard also leaves out some other pieces.

I recommend the Cobra Company MH-60L Update set or MH/HH-60G Update set to get a nice interior on it. I used most of the MH/HH-60G set, along with their M230 Chain Gun set and a few other Cobra Company pieces here and there on my MH-60L DAP build a few years ago. I highly recommend all their sets, great stuff.

By the way --- There is no such thing as an AH-60L in the US Military. The aircraft in the Academy kit is an MH-60L DAP gunship used by the US Army's 160th SOAR (Special Operations Aviation Regiment, NightStalkers), which is a Multi-mission Helicopter with a Direct Action Penetrator (DAP) gunship kit added. The DAP kit is the single point ESSS (External Stores Support System) wings with 25mm chain gun and its control boxes and large internal ammo box, M200 19-shot FFR (Free Flight Rockets) pod on the other side, and the M134 .30 cal minigun door guns are locked in the forward-firing position as well. Usually, the M200 and M230 are used, but an M200 and Hellfire rack can also be used, as the kit instructions show.

A gunship is usually a cargo or utility helicopter with extra guns mounted in a fixed configuration to provide fire close air support (CAS) to ground troops.

AH is reserved for Attack Helicopters like the AH-1 Cobra and AH-64 Apache. The MH-60L DAP is a gunship, not an attack helicopter. They have different configurations and missions.

An attack helicopter is specially designed with movable guns and sighting systems to attack tanks and other hard targets directly. They can also be used as CAS, but prefer to be used in the close attack role.
 _GOTOTOP