_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Question: Albatros D.V engines
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,032 posts
AeroScale: 1,025 posts
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2012 - 08:21 AM UTC
I'm hoping there's an Albie expert here that can answer my question(S) regarding airframe/engine installations in a couple of specific DV aircraft. Both machines are subjects of the Wingnut Wings Decal Sheet 30011 Albatros DV Jasta 18.
Option B DV 4594/17 (Strahle) says " Mercedes DIII 160 HP Engine however the sideview shows the shorter "fatter" airpump, which I thought was on the 180 HP engine. All the photos I've seen seem to portray (not definitivey) the taller thinner air pump ie. 160 HP however the photos are poor.

Option D (new research indicates Monnington vs. previously von Hantelmann) is captioned with a 160 HP engine however again I can't confirm with photos. Two other puzzles: the "L shaped flash guards along each side of the engine" referenced in the short write up, new to me and I can't find photos and last, the colour scheme. Photos indicate the tail section is black with only the rudder in lozenge; the three views depict the stabiliser/ elevator in lozenge top and bottom. For some reason I can't open the WNW Site photo Gallery to look further. I've Emailed the queries to WNW but so far no reply. (They probably think I'm completely "gone" as a victim of acute AMS)
Anyone got the "gouge" on these topics?
Thanks and Cheers,
Lance
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2012 - 02:09 PM UTC
Greeting Lance. The simple answer is the official Daimler notations are F1466 & F1466a. All Alb.D.V left the factory with the F1466a Merc. D.IIIa 170-75hp motors.

Even though engines were up graded as performance developments were developed, the crank case usally remained the same and were embossed with "160hp". In our terms this is the Mercedes D.IIIa 170 -175hp. It had flat piston heads where the 160hp had concave piston heads.

Now the the air pump was moved on the motor too. On the 160hp it was at the back of the motor after the #6 cylinder. On the 170-175hp it was moved to the front and at first came in two versions. The tall skinny profile matched both.

The fat thicker profile air pump began being seen on late production versions of the 170-175hp(Fall 1917. The water pump was moved on this later production series from the rear tower to an area under the crank case. This then became the standard.

The Merc. D.IIIaü 180hp had all of the late production D.IIIa progressions plus piston heads that were convex - domed shaped. This was the over-compressed version. Though still identified as a D.IIIa. The major visual difference was that the rocker box covers were no longer centered on the rocker arms but the boxes were now moved back and the rocker arms were at the leading edge of the cover. I am confident that the first installations were in the Alb.D.Va types.

There were further developents like altitude compensating linkages and water jacketed intakes to keep the incoming air temps low.

Power ratings determined the roman numerl identifiers in the motor designations.

0= 80hp
I= 100hp
II= 110-130hp
III= 160hp
IIIa= 170hp-200hp
IV= 220-260hp
The a & b suffix was a notation that this was a progression of a standard within a horsepower rating.

See:
Merc. D. type motors
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2012 - 03:34 PM UTC
Stephen,

Very helpful, Thanks! So many variations, changes, Field Mods, and exceptions that the only thing we can be sure of (at the 100% level) is were not sure. I'll be going with the "most likely" of informed opinion on this one; the DV gets a 160 hp (as you pointed out 170-175 hp)with front airpump etc and I'll do the DVa with a 180 hp overcompressed version.
As for the colours on the black (Monnington) DV I'm leaning towards the lozenge on the entire empennage; the WNW folks and Ronnie Barr seem to take their research seriously and I'm sure did their homework well. All that's left now is the decision, all black or the classic Jasta 18 blue/red.
On the high side, it's nice to have choices.
Cheers, and Thanks again,
Lance
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, April 02, 2012 - 08:31 AM UTC
I recieved a reply with some great info from Wingnut Wings regarding my concerns with the Monnington Black Albatros DV; thought I'd share the info in case someone else has a "question mark over their forehead" on this , admittedly down in the weeds, question.
WNW designed their Jasta 18 Sheet based on the photo of the aircraft in the Instructions which they analysed as depicting a lozenge stailizer and elevator. Richard further advises that another photo has since surfaced which shows their interpretation was correct thus the full lozenge treatment of the tail section as depicted is historically accurate. Given the source I'm 101% confident of the accuracy of their 3 view and will probably go that route with my present build.
Great service for sure; this supplier not only provides (IMHO) the best WWI Kits of this scale on the market, they also care about their customers a great deal and provide great service. In my experience the "service" normally vaporises right after payment; not so with these folks!
Cheers,
Lance
 _GOTOTOP