_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Isn't it interesting that....
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 04, 2012 - 08:53 AM UTC
I was thinking today, how it would be interesting to take a poll and see what percentage of modelers on Aeroscale were primarily interested in WW2 subjects.

As for me, I have had a life long interest in aviation history, throughout the 109 years man has been flying in heavier than air machines, I have enjoyed reading and even building models from all eras.

What is interesting I find, for me at least, I keep getting pulled back to WW2. It was such an important time in human history and the flying machines seemed to have such character in them.

I wished I would build more outside this time in history, but every time I think of starting something, say a somewhat modern jet for instance, I get a return call from this most significant time in aviation and world history. Just a thought. Russell

P.S. Maybe the fact that my dad was a Marine in the Pacific during this time has a bearing on me as well. I would think many Aeroscale members have had family members or friends they knew now or growing up who had similar experiences in this conflict.
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,265 posts
AeroScale: 1,715 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 04, 2012 - 10:19 AM UTC
I am specifically not doing WWII currently. I wont say Ive had enough of WWII subjects, but in the past I did alot of that.

Now I'm interested in the postwar period, the cold war period I guess.

raypalmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,151 posts
AeroScale: 985 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 04, 2012 - 11:31 AM UTC
I've done the gambit I guess. Fokker's through F16's. But WWII is just so darn alluring. It's not just the aircraft though, it's the markings. In a six-year period you have more variation in markings and camouflage than we've had in the subsequent 65+ years.
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 04, 2012 - 11:40 AM UTC
Thanks for the responses so far, looking forward to seeing more of you respond. Take care, Russell
Tojo72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
AeroScale: 238 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 04, 2012 - 11:46 AM UTC
My main interest is WWII and forward all the to the most modern.
SgtRam
Staff MemberEditor-at-Large
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
AeroScale: 511 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 04, 2012 - 11:49 AM UTC
If it looks like plastic, smells like plastic, and tastes like plastic......and it looks friggin kewl....I will build it. While I have done alot of WW2, I like anything. Especially if I can put a little red maple leaf on it....

Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 04, 2012 - 11:55 AM UTC
I like your answer Kevin! My grandfather, who was from New Brunswick, said he always thought it was strange that the Canadian government chose a red maple leaf for the aircraft markings? He told my dad, this was before I was around, that it should be a green maple leaf to show it was alive!! ha ha Thought that was funny. Russell
SgtRam
Staff MemberEditor-at-Large
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
AeroScale: 511 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 04, 2012 - 12:23 PM UTC
There were a few Green Maple leafs used in WW2, mostly on some of the Canadian Spit's. But Canada chose red, being in Canada in fall when the maple trees turn bright red, it is spectacular, so maybe there was some reason behind it.

Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 04, 2012 - 02:22 PM UTC
Most of the reason behind it was that we adapted the RAF's roundel, which has a red centre. You can see the very same influence in the RAAF and RNZAF's roundels as well. For a short while after the war the RCN used a type C RN Roundel with a green maple leaf in the middle of the red centre, but it didn't show up very well at any distance greater than about 10m away. Thus the decision to stick with red.

I'l build anything, but my favourite time periods for military aircraft are the early years up to 1930-ish and the 1950s. I'll build airliners of any time period.
usethermite
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 252 posts
AeroScale: 209 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 04, 2012 - 03:04 PM UTC
Hi, Russell. In my first incarnation as a modeller(30 yrs ago), I only built WWII IJA and RAF aircraft. Now, I find myself really drawn to the '50s jets. Have no idea why. But, in general, I'll build anything that gets my attention. I also like civil aviation- like the Zilns, Lets, and so on. My standard is this: Shiney, pretty plane. Me like. Me want!
Anyway, happying gluing, JT
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 04, 2012 - 03:20 PM UTC
Great to have so many replies, it is interesting to see what makes each one of us "tick" so to speak. Keep 'em coming! Russell
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2,798 posts
AeroScale: 2,443 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 04, 2012 - 03:26 PM UTC
I find American military WWII to modern to be my main point of interest.when I get bored with one I switch to the other
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 04, 2012 - 09:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I was thinking today, how it would be interesting to take a poll and see what percentage of modelers on Aeroscale were primarily interested in WW2 subjects.

Hi Russell

We already have a poll that should answer your question:

https://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=NS-Polls&file=index&pollID=293

At the moment, 64% of those who have voted picked WW2 as their primary area of modelling interest.

All the best

Rowan
james84
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Roma, Italy
KitMaker: 1,368 posts
AeroScale: 377 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 04, 2012 - 09:38 PM UTC
I am not very interested in a certain period, but I prefer selecting certain subjects. I have a wishlist and a stash including aircrafts from WW2 until today, no pre WW2 aircrafts. Maybe because I like "robust" aircrafts?
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 869 posts
AeroScale: 862 posts
Posted: Friday, April 06, 2012 - 06:33 AM UTC
Russell,
I do not build any models other than WWII aircraft with maybe a couple of ground vehicles every so often.
Modern aircraft all look the same to me and don't give me any inspiration to build models of them.

Matrixone
stugiiif
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
AeroScale: 403 posts
Posted: Friday, April 06, 2012 - 06:57 AM UTC
Russel, I'm not going to say I'm not interested in WWII. 1/32nd HE 111 hiding on the workbench. under my F3H-2M Demon. But it has to be a special kit, to get me to buy WWII kits now. My interest has been the early jets of the US Navy and a few modern subjects for aircraft. For armor subjects I still build a lot of WWII, but for now I'm realy in love with the shapes of those early Jets.
Happy Building,
Steve
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Friday, April 06, 2012 - 07:20 AM UTC
Thanks for the replies, one and all. Rowan, I seem to remember that poll now that you mention it. Thanks for reminding me. Russell
modulla
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 72 posts
AeroScale: 71 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 08, 2012 - 07:30 PM UTC
Hi Russell
As for me, as a lad, I started with sailing ships, then WWII aircraft, but my first WWI got me hooked. Now I am sooo... prejudiced. I would like to do maybe 8 WWII once I clear my WWI stash. I think what settled me on WWI was building a Sopwith Triplane in 1/72 and getting all the wings to stay on, and at the right angles !
I remember looking at a collection of WWII models at a museum and thinking some of them were samey ( sorry guys! ). Probably, for someone with no interest in the subject, four different aircraft would be enough ......
Finally,the colours of WWII aircraft may be more varied than modern jets, but what of WWI ? Looking at just one squadron ( Jasta 5 ), it had amazing variety. They all had green tails with red edging, but for the rest of their fuselages, one had chequerboard, one a giant dragon, one Bavarian blue diamonds, one was white with two sizes of black spiral ...
Congrats to all of you, of whatever era, who make your models look so REAL.

Clive Mason
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Monday, April 09, 2012 - 06:38 AM UTC
Hi Russell,
in my early days of building scale kits(about 12 years ago) I've built everything from a WW 1 bi plane to a modern jet. But then I more and more discovered my heart for those old WW 2 warbirds, also because of visiting airshows with those birds. My main subject in that era is the Pacific Air War with all engaged countries, especially Japan. But I also build other aircrafts flying over Europe and North Africa of course. Those kits make about 80 % of my stash.
I think what makes this era so interesting, is the fact, that within let's say 10 years there was a revolutionary change in the air. In 1935 most of the aircrafts still were bi planes and in 1945 we had the first jets in the sky.
But on the other hand sometimes I brake out of this WW 2 scheme and build something more modern. So at the moment I'm working on Revells German Air Force Eurofighter Twinseater which should be ready for take off at the end of this month. But afterwards I quickly go back to my beloved props as the Fighter Campaign awaits me. Some cars to fit to the aircrafts are also build from time to time, mainly those fine Tamiya ones.
Oh, and I always stick to the same scale 1/48. Though I already have some 1/32 kits in my stash. But they are for the time when I'm old and grey .....

Happy modelling
Torsten
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Monday, April 09, 2012 - 08:42 AM UTC
Hi Russell.
In the beginning there was WW2 prop jobs and only WW2 prop jobs. WW1 were weird and modern were boring.. no props you see.. Then as I got a bit older I started on the jets.. jets jets and more jets.. and a few prop jobs as they were released..
Then I went into a collecting phase for about 20 years or so until I came back to building about 10 years ago. Now the vast majority of stuff is the early stuff I didn't build when I was younger.. those nasty biplanes with the infernal struts etc, and between war stuff I am into now.
My building and finishing is getting much better as my eye site gets worse and worse..
jphillips
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
AeroScale: 214 posts
Posted: Monday, April 09, 2012 - 11:30 AM UTC
Hi,
My dad was a Pacific vet also, he was a US Army infantryman. He served in the Philippines, Indonesia and Papua-New Guinea.
I've built WW2 subjects, but I do more modern stuff these days.
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Monday, April 09, 2012 - 02:48 PM UTC
It is really great to see the good response to this query. I think it is interesting to see how each of us views this very heterogenous subject matter of aviation history through model building. Thanks again to everyone who has participated in the forum. Russell
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Monday, April 09, 2012 - 07:07 PM UTC
My two penneth

I used to build A?C when younger, moved onto pretty much 99% WWII armour but built the odd A/C along the line.

Roden released their 1/32nd DRi and as a non participating member of Armorama I came to across Aeroscale looking for info on the DRi and was hooked by the good people on the early aviation forum. I've been a WW1 nut since but do build WWII but it has to be a special subject I like. 109's, Spits, Mustangs, P-47 amongst a few.

Give me an Albi DII-DIII(OAW) anytime though
russamotto
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
AeroScale: 375 posts
Posted: Monday, April 09, 2012 - 07:58 PM UTC
I'm still not very good at aircraft, but the very first kit I built was a snap tite P-40. Since then, WWII has always held my interest in modeling subjects, although I will build anything else that gets my interest. With WWII aircraft, there is a sense, for me, of fragility and desperation and an idea of the scope of the conflict that gets my attention. I like modern aircraft, but memories of running through the yard as a child, trying to get a propeller to spin on a cheap 1/72 scale kit will always pull me back to WWII aircraft.
pbhawkin
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 179 posts
AeroScale: 170 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2012 - 12:24 PM UTC
Hi russell,
I build mostly WW2 BUT am interested in the 1930s to the early jet age. Like many have mentioned I like interesting or unusual planes (which is why I have a collection of pre-war Lufthansa Catapault planes! as well as WW2 radar equipped planes!).
I collect/make 1/144 but have a few other scales that I own but unlikely to build (nice to look at and fondle!).
 _GOTOTOP