_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Bf 110D-1/R1 (Cyber Hobby) Parts w/o Colors
Athlen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 12 posts
AeroScale: 12 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2012 - 05:07 AM UTC
Several parts in the Cyber Hobby Bf 110D-1/R1 Dackelbauch kit do not have a paint color indicated. They're white in the instructions. Examples include the frame that supports the cannon tray and the one that supports the ammunition holder in the cockpit.

(I don't mean the parts where they show, for example, the assembled cockpit being placed into the fuselage -- these are specific parts that are white, don't have a color key, and there is no other part that has that color keyed.)

Colour Me 110 cockpit photos are hard to find; I can't find a reference. What color are these parts? Is there a 'default' color?
shivadog
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 42 posts
AeroScale: 41 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2012 - 05:23 AM UTC
This is quite difficult with those early 110.
You can try to check a bit with Eduard instruction.

http://www.eduard.com/store/out/media/8202.pdf

Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2012 - 05:53 AM UTC
Default interior colours for early war German aircraft were RLM 02 for most surfaces and 66 for detail bits. Later in the war everything was RLM 66. In the field, it was whatever paint the ground crews could get their hands on to get the aircraft back into the air as quickly as possible. At the very end of the war such niggling little thing as colour standards went out the window.

That being said, RLM 66 is probably your best bet. Nobody is likely able to prove you're wrong, so you can stand up to the Farbenpolizei and dare them to back up their claims.
shivadog
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 42 posts
AeroScale: 41 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2012 - 09:04 PM UTC
I'm also building 110d from Cyber Hobby in the moment.
Overall it is a nice kit, but has some stupid feature.
There is some weird cage in top element of cockpit, which shall not be there (there were not such thing in real plane).
The top frame is also not fitting well, You should add one 0,25 mm styrene from both side, and second one 0,25 in front.

Please take a look:
http://www.pwm.org.pl/viewtopic.php?f=123&t=20539&start=30

there shall be also small wheel on the left of pilot which is not shown in instruction. (it is in frames, You have to look for it).

Athlen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 12:11 AM UTC
Thanks for your help. The Eduard instructions show the parts are RLM 66, and I really like those instructions as well as the fact they provide a mask for the canopy.

I did wonder what that 'frame' was for, so thanks for pointing that out as well.

I'm thinking of writing a review, just because I like writing -- there is one, but I suppose another can't hurt. For one, I wish they allowed non-Dackelbauch modifications, such as perhaps the post-Dackelbauch wing tank version.

There is a part that appears to be a bomb rack, but no bombs. OTOH it's my guess (not having done much research) that the plane was meant to scout the North Sea for ASW patrols, and four 100 kg bombs wouldn't have been much good if it happened to run into a Royal Navy battleship, or even a destroyer.

As for the Farbenpolizei, I also just got an Me 262, and I suppose I could paint it bright orange 'because the RLM 71 factory was bombed/in East Prussia.' There won't be any photos to prove otherwise, since my particular 262 was shot down by an old Defiant in its first flight.

Thanks again, those parts are in Step 1, so now I'm ready to go.
Athlen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2012 - 04:58 PM UTC
Well, I've gotten to the point where I see what you mean about the upper frame not fitting. I also managed to not drill the holes through that frame, and therefore I put the instruments on the wrong side. This is made more frustrating because I spent a while figuring out what almost all of them were.

I've found color photos of a 110G panel and black-and-white photos of a 110C and 110F. The Dragon kit cockpit is identical to the F (early F, with MG 17s) while the Eduard kit uses the C instrument panel.

All of the cockpits are pretty dull. RLM 66 with black instruments. The only color is on the lower part:

coolant temp (blue) fuel level (yellow) coolant temp blue)
coolant flap switch (blue) tank selector (black) coolant flap switch (blue)

There aren't any other colors you could really paint onto a model, except perhaps the little white airplanes on the repeater compasses. (The upper right box in the set of six in the rear cockpit is a compass.)
 _GOTOTOP