_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
WNW Sopwith Pup RFC Keith
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2012 - 11:19 AM UTC
Hi all yes I've been quiet, but busy, kornbeef's been been toiling away on a Pup you see, odd I know it has round things where the X's are supposed to go. I'm enjoying the build so far, not going too AMS crazy. building her as profile B Capt Pratt's kite
Anyway hoping this weekend to have my camera back in action so will snap a few shots. Watch this space... not too hard though.

Keith
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,032 posts
AeroScale: 1,025 posts
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2012 - 03:32 PM UTC
Keith,
I'll believe the "not too AMS crazy" part when I see it. "Methinks thou speak too soon, knave" to misquote the great Bard.
Looking forward to your pics; the RNAS Kit was a beauty, will no doubt remain one of my very favorites.

Cheers,
Lance
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2012 - 05:30 PM UTC
Iance I agree, I'd gone to Hannants website with a RNAS Pup in mind but they were nil-stock.

And I'm charging my AMS for a DV I have planned unles WNW release something before that... I've a few Bench Queen delayed projects need finishing.

Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, April 29, 2012 - 05:14 AM UTC
Finally, late in the day Iget some pics up. rather late to run a biuld blog too? I'd say so?

The interior is fairly OOB I added the cables etc used HGW's detail set for the rigging (which I messed up a bit during building (WNW tolerances and overeagerness)) I added pipework and throttle rod but most is outta sight anyway.

I modded the top of the ammo container, and opend up the furel & oil filler apertures using etch brass instrument bezels for the strengthening rings and scratched new filer caps.

Undersides sprayed in dark grey after masking ribs and spars then once coated I removed the spar masking and over sprayed again before finally spraying with linen colour till I was happy with the shading.

As you can see the finished model is going to be rather muddy.
The motoer, I managed to get everything lined up nicely.. left overnight the inlet pipes moved.... or more likely fat fingers did it and old eyes never noticed.

Anyway as the cowl covers all sins I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

I've detailed the machine gun but forgot to take pics.. modded the muzzle, added brass tube for the barrel and opened out the front of the cooling jacket.

Will post more pics soon.

All comments welcome.

Keith

Almost rigging time!
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, April 29, 2012 - 05:20 AM UTC
I forgot,

other mods include

Adding the cable ferrules in the fuselage sides top and botom from brass tube. Pinning the tailskid to rudder tube and the aerlerons for strength. moding the rear of the aluminium panel between the cabanes and accentuating the rear rib spar on the centre upper wing section.

I widened/accentuayed the wing panel joints taped over a few joints here and there and modded the lower alu panel slightly. Thinning the plastic around the cowl slots has given it a more scale apperance too.

TTFN Keith
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 29, 2012 - 05:46 AM UTC
Excellent Keith!
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, April 29, 2012 - 02:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I forgot,

other mods include

Adding the cable ferrules in the fuselage sides top and botom from brass tube. Pinning the tailskid to rudder tube and the aerlerons for strength. moding the rear of the aluminium panel between the cabanes and accentuating the rear rib spar on the centre upper wing section.

I widened/accentuayed the wing panel joints taped over a few joints here and there and modded the lower alu panel slightly. Thinning the plastic around the cowl slots has given it a more scale apperance too.

TTFN Keith

Keith,
OOB????
I'd expect nothing of the sort!
Keep the photos coming; she's looking very fine.

Cheers,
Lance
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 29, 2012 - 03:03 PM UTC
That's wonderful rib tape detail. Is that from the kit, or did you add it?
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, April 29, 2012 - 06:38 PM UTC
Hi Jessie, no I can't take credit for that its WNW's work.
Beautiful isnt it.

I tried to replicate it on my Albie DII build to some degree of success.

Lance,

You know how it is. see sometthing easy to do and it just highlights something else and so on. I have restrained myself though. So far.
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, May 08, 2012 - 09:28 PM UTC
Hi all,

Back with some progress. Times been limited, distractions have been many so she isnt as advanced as I'd hoped. That and a few mishaps have not helped.

You know when you do something stupid.... afterwards it just seem so obvious. I was attaching the interplane struts, fixing the bottoms I set up the upper wing in place dry fitted and left it to set.... now where would be safe I thought. In the kitchen out the way... Oh a nice clear spot on the coffeemaker top.... after all it never gets used. So Kornbeef sticks the kit upside down safely out the way. Next day the washing machine was spinning. Even in a different room you just know what the clunk ad clatter is as it hits your ears and the air turns blue even before you see whats happened. So several points and parts now pinned with brass rod later and wayward parts recovered from under kitchen appliances. A lesson learnt? Of course....ummmm

Anyway pics for your comments. Part rigged. I'm not over happy how its turnied out in places (rigging) a little movement before setting off of CYano and using the plastic points to rig the strut bracing... ummmm not strong nd me forgets.

I'm using invisithread smoke for rigging, shying away from even attempting flying wire. First stage is the bracing wires between struts, The rest will be rigged in my new found preassembl style of making up the wire assembly and fixing it as one piece then tensioning it, that worked well o the Rumpler. Of course the attachment is simpler just an eyelet and single piece of brass tube at each end.

Underside, weathering and dirtying up is started...this is just the beginning.... "Dirty puppie!"

final shot, the Vickers muzzle reworked a brass barrel and the cooling jacket was hollowed out. Below you can just see the oil and fuel filler apertures I opened out and added scratched caps.

Lots to do still. wearing her in.

Oh and incidentally I used different fuselage roundels that spec'd in the instructions as they just loked better sized against Ronnie Barr's profile. though in comparison WNWs skull and Xbones are bigger too. still look the part when on though

TY for looking all commnts appreciated.

Keith
Apologies for the dreadfull diction and spelling. New PC and keyboard, old head andfingers.
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, May 09, 2012 - 02:00 AM UTC
Keith,
Wonderful at this point; I really like the dirty effect you've achieved on the lower wings. Nice additions to the oil and fuel filler areas as well.
Looking forward to the next dispatch from your famous old oak stump.
Cheers,
Lance
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 09, 2012 - 06:03 AM UTC
Very nice Keith, love the skull and crossbones motif (morbid I know) Brilliant wethering and paintjob as usual. Very interesting mode of rigging - it'd be nice to see a bit more of how this works?

Best Regards

Mikael
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2012 - 02:10 AM UTC
Oh a little update. No serious mishaps this time though a few *Oh FFS* moments... been rigging.

Also spotting something on the Ronnie Barr profile I've been fabricating the square tube that comes out of the breech of the vickers, I'm presuming perhaps for the ammo belt, were later ones self destructing links like later? Dunno but its a something a little different. (no pic of this bit)

I know theres lots of touch ups to do, the rigging end points might bet painted black yet too.?

I still have the lower tail skid cables, aireleron (I hate that word...lol)and dreaded double wires to do then its touch up and dirty up time ... close to done.

Ta fer lukkin

Keith

lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2012 - 08:01 AM UTC
Really like the weathering and wear on the wheels as well as the stain on the nose access panel Keith. Another beauty emerging.
Cheers,
Lance
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2012 - 10:38 PM UTC
Keith – I totally agree with Lance – this is an emerging beauty. Impressed also that you're keeping your AMS "almost" in check!

Mikael
 _GOTOTOP