_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Campaign proposal: VP International
RedwingNev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 911 posts
AeroScale: 415 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 09, 2012 - 01:09 AM UTC
Well, the realisation that What Ifs are allowed has prompted much doubt as to my choice of entry.

Originally I was going to do either the Hasegawa 1/72 Orion, JMSDF, in these markings (I always liked this one because the stylised "Orion" on the tail looks like a baddy from Scooby Doo).

Alternatively I was going to do this 1/72 Revell S-3 Viking

But now, do I do a what if JMSDF Viking?

Or a what if JMSDF SV-22J Osprey? (Both were real-world proposals - more what mighthavebeens, rather than what ifs).
BigSmitty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 597 posts
AeroScale: 10 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2012 - 03:37 PM UTC
I have a question regarding a pair of variants of an MP aircraft. I have the AMT/Ertl ES-3B Shadow. Since it was a short lived replacement to the EP-3E Aires is it allowed? If not I think I can backdate to a standard S-3B. I also have Hasegawa's old US-3A somewhere. I have no idea why I keep all these obscure variants. I'm assuming the aircraft has to be a MARPAT mission aircraft as modeled.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2012 - 04:06 PM UTC
Since its job was to patrol over the ocean, I'll accept it. It wasn't directly an antisubmarine aircraft, but the role is changing these days and I suspect that the time of dedicated one-mission maritime patrol aircraft is soon to be over.
BigSmitty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 597 posts
AeroScale: 10 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 13, 2012 - 12:59 PM UTC
Just took the shrink wrap off the US-3A (and the kit was from 1987, sheesh) and it has alternate markings for the VS-33 "Screw Balls" S-3A, so that's my kit for the campaign.

I don't want to backdate the ES-3A from VQ-5. I actually got to train in that thing back a "few" years ago when a detachment deployed on the USS INDEPENDENCE. I'll save her for something special.
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2012 - 09:21 AM UTC
The Official campaign thread can be found Here

As the official thread is now open for posting this thread will be locked

Happy Modelling

Allen
 _GOTOTOP