_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
CaBuilding Airfix Albatros D Va
chris1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 949 posts
AeroScale: 493 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2012 - 12:20 PM UTC
Hi All,
It's been a while since I was last here,however I'm to again try a WW1 aircraft 3rd time lucky.
So of course I need to pick your brains as I have some questions.
I bought ye olde Airfix 1/72nd D V kit a while back (I know its been around since Adam was a cowboy) however it was cheap.
I'm doing some scratch building of the interior, seat,floor etc.
I'm looking to mark her up as flown by M von Richthofen
Albatros D.V (1177/17) (really imaginative)unless you guys have some other ideas(pictures gratefully accepted)

Q1.Apart from an interior any other simple work to make her externally more accurate?
Q2.Where can I get a 1/2 decent pair of Mgs to replace what was there,I'm considering modifying a pair of mg 34 barrels
any suggestions.

That's it so far but I bet there will be more oooh and should I do this as my first build blog?

Chris
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2012 - 04:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Q1.Apart from an interior any other simple work to make her externally more accurate?
Q2.Where can I get a 1/72 decent pair of Mgs to replace what was there,I'm considering modifying a pair of mg 34 barrels
any suggestions.

That's it so far but I bet there will be more oooh and should I do this as my first build blog?

Gadzooks and Hot Marimba!
A1. Yes to mske it more accurate sand off all the surface detail and start from scratch. Replace the kit struts with brass rod. Replace the motor with a resin copy (maybe engines & things out of Canada or White Metal item from Aeroclub?)

A2. Fotocut brass or Tom's Modelworks brass PE come in 1/72 They have several sheets to choose from.

A3. Sure go ahead and blog on it. Call it "A facelift for a warhorse."

Good luck.
amegan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 996 posts
AeroScale: 915 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 03, 2012 - 04:35 AM UTC
Do it as a Knights of the Sky build. Sounds interesting up to now
chris1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 949 posts
AeroScale: 493 posts
Posted: Monday, June 04, 2012 - 11:31 AM UTC
Hi Stephen and Andrew,
Thanks for the comments,
Stephen
I take your comments on board but given I purchased the kit for next to nothing I can't justify the cost of aftermarket items,the cost plus postage wouldn't be worth it.besides SWMBO won't let me spend much at the moment another reason why aftermarket is off the market (no pun intended).
Also I need to learn how to scratch build so I figured this would be a good place to start.I have grand ideas for a couple of other Airfix kits
Arado Ar.196
Blohm & Voss Bv14
Fairey Battle
bristol blenhiem

Andrew
I'll see what I can do about the blog(sic) will be more a case of photos at major build sections

Thanks again

Chris

_GOTOTOP