_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
A piece of Aviation History arrives
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,032 posts
AeroScale: 1,025 posts
Posted: Monday, June 04, 2012 - 06:08 AM UTC
Thought I'd like to share this with our Members. My second entry in KoTS 1 last year was a WNW Sopwith Naval Pup done in the colours of a Canadian Ace, Alfred W. "Nick" Carter of 3 Naval Sqn. RNAS. I mentioned that a close friend had promised me what his Father, a former Air Commodore in the RCAF, had given him years back, a leather flying helmet he had recieved from Nick as a token of friendship in the 30's.
Last week it was delivered. I was a little skeptical at first as the helmet has zippered ear pieces and I thought it looked more like a pre WWII helmet. This weekend, while attending the IPMS Western Canada Regional Model Contest in Edmonton I visited the Alberta Aviation Museum and spotted the absolutely identical item (with the exception of the zipper "brand" on the tang) in a display honoring "Wop" May, the Canadian pilot that the Red Baron was pursuing when he was (probably) shot down by ground fire. Wilfred May went on to score 13 aerial victories by War's end. The acting Museum Curator stated that the helmet was worn by "Wop" in 1920 when he was a Bush Pilot and there was a photo dated 1920 of "Wop" wearing the helmet. He thought, like most of the Bush Pilots who had served in WWI that it was flying gear brought back from the War by May. It thus appears that this is probably one of Nicks WW1 Helmets.
Any experts out there that can elaborate on this??
In the meantime I am thrilled to have it; there's no doubt that it's Nick Carters in my mind, I just can't confirm at this point if he wore it in combat...or is it a newer version he wore after the War?
Here it is in all it's glory, and placed in my Display Cabinet with "Baby Mine", Nick's Pup with 3 Naval.

and a quick photo in isolation;

Bottom line, I'm thrilled to have a piece of Aviation History with my small but growing collection. I'd be very grateful if any of the members can add to the validity of this item; be gentle if it's less then great news!
Cheers,
Lance
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Monday, June 04, 2012 - 06:28 AM UTC
Hello Lance,

Well I can't ad anything to validate the helmets pedigree – but it is one great looking item, and will certainly add to your collection in a fine way. A thougt – It would be pretty cool if you could dress it up on a dummy head?

Best Regards

Mikael
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, June 04, 2012 - 07:36 AM UTC
Mikael,
The ones in the Museum I referred to were on very simple syrofoam "forms" as you describe. I'll be doing something similar eventually and it will go into the cabinet beside the Pup.
Cheers,
Lance
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Monday, June 04, 2012 - 03:28 PM UTC
Kudos to you for the acquisition and posting the images here. My sincere thanks!
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Monday, June 04, 2012 - 03:58 PM UTC
The zippers were likely for Gosport tubes. They can be seen in many pictures here (These are of a slightly later vintage than your helmet, but looking substantially the same).
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2012 - 12:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The zippers were likely for Gosport tubes. They can be seen in many pictures here (These are of a slightly later vintage than your helmet, but looking substantially the same).

Jessica,
Many thanks for the information. I've done a careful comparison of the photos in the link to the helmet in question; particularly the stitching pattern and fasteners etc.
The results are a little contradictory; the basic stitching or "piece layout pattern" does not match at all. The "chin" strap appears similar but I can't see the fastener to compare them. The "Back" strap across the base of the skull / top of the neck has the same unique shape at the "loose" end. Last, the helmets illustrated in the link have sewn on strap supports/loops for the goggles, no such articles on mine.
I'll keep looking, also will attempt to get more examples/info from other Museum sources. The Jury is still in deliberation on this but for now I'm going to stay positive, this item at least dates to 1920; more to follow I'm sure.
Cheers,
Lance
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 8,227 posts
AeroScale: 3,915 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2012 - 01:53 AM UTC
I am no expert but I think that this is later than WW1.
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2012 - 08:01 AM UTC
John,
My leaning as well however the photo of Wilfred "Wop" May (dated 1920) indicates that, if not an article worn in WWI, it was in use 2 years after the war. I am hoping to get more info on this, do you have any Museum expert contacts you could refer me to?
Cheers,
Lance
 _GOTOTOP