_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
IPMS Western Canadian Regional Model Contest
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,032 posts
AeroScale: 1,025 posts
Posted: Monday, June 04, 2012 - 06:39 AM UTC
This weekend past I traveled to Edmonton to attend the subject event, my first ever such experience. I thought I'd provide a brief report on the Contest and a few photos.
The event was thrilling for me; I met a lot of really good Modellers, saw some beautiful work, and learned a lot from the special presentations and demonstrations put on the the Event Spacial Guests, Brett Green of Hyperscale and Tamiya Magazine, and Spencer Pollard of Military in Scale.
There were 495 entries in the various categories, the WWI representation though of disappointing numbers was more then off-set by the incredible quality of the entries. There were approximately 18 entries in the Class, here is a sampling of what was entered:
First, in the Vacuform Kits Class a magnificent Koster 1:32 Sopwith Tripe which took the Gold:

In the Injected Kit Class the Gold went to an Eduard DVa which was beautifully presented: (please forgive the poor photo quality(s)

The Silver went to an absolutely stunning super detailed Neiuport 28 by retired Doctor Tom Morgan of Winnipeg; you had to see it to believe the detail. Tom has had builds published in Windsock (for good reason!) most notably a scratch built DH2 about 10 years back. I picked his brain relentlessly all weekend, learned a great deal from him, and the beer was OK as well!!

The 3rd Place Bronze was awarded to a very impressive Roden SE5a which was displayed with the Koster Tripe:

And last, to my delight, my McCudden SE5a was awarded the Class Honorable mention.

I'll add a small sampling of some of the other entries later. Best Aircraft in Show was awarded to a huge 1:48th (?) C130 Hercules.
In all a very well organised and attended event, most enjoyable throughout, and highly recommended next year when it will be hosted by the Calgary Alberta IPMS Branch. I'll be there "with bells on"!
Hope this is of interest and enjoyed by the membership..........
Cheers,
Lance
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Monday, June 04, 2012 - 07:05 AM UTC
Most impressive builds!
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Monday, June 04, 2012 - 12:22 PM UTC
I agree completely, wonderful, wonderful work! Great builds one and all. Russell
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, June 04, 2012 - 02:27 PM UTC
Thought I'd add a few final photos of some of the other entries; some really nice work on display.
A trio of Albies in 1/48 Scale:

From the trio, "STROPP";

A very neat 1/72 Fokker EII/EIII:

The Koster Vacuform Tripe (Gold Winner in Class) with the Roden Bronze winning SE5a by the same builder..

And finally the Best Aircraft in Show winner, the RCAF C130 Herc in painted (no decals used here) CGI Camo, even I could appreciate the quality of this modern vs. WWI subject and a "Trash Hauler" to boot!!)

All in, a great experience and an event I'd definitely attend again in future. Hope you enjoyed the report.
Cheers,
Lance
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 06, 2012 - 03:14 AM UTC
Lance - there are some very talanted builders in Canada, but I already knew this of course Congratulations on the hounrable mention. Also always nice to be inspired by others.

Mikael
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, June 06, 2012 - 03:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Lance - there are some very talanted builders in Canada, but I already knew this of course Congratulations on the hounrable mention. Also always nice to be inspired by others.

Mikael

Thank you Mikael. There certainly were some very talented builders at this one. Since it was my first experience with Competitions I was already a little intimidated, when I saw some of the entries I had an impulse to quietly pack mine up and quietly leave............perhaps even by the dumpster in the parking lot!
The biggest thing I "took away" from the event was the inspiration to do better with my builds by going a little slower and thinking more ahead for the next steps. I learned a lot from the Guys I met and all were very willing to share their techniques and advice.
All in all, a great experience.
Cheers,
Lance

_GOTOTOP