_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
AAR Issoudon 1918
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 25, 2012 - 03:48 PM UTC

Allied Repair shop, Issoudon Feb. - Nov. 1918.

This is basically a one building diorama. Iinitially I wanted to include all interior and exterior (?) concerns and view angles. But have to lengthen the diorama to get the whole I image and all the aircraft involved. One sided and open to view. This would be approx 24 - 25 inches in length.

It may have a full interior, large hangar doors on two opposing ends and a row of large sectioned windows on one (and the other opposing sides?) Following a photo reference wings will be stored in a rack above the fuselage repair area. Can do a single row of a/c in repair or double this will expand the building to the width equal to the length of three Nieuport single seat fighter nose to tail. Zipping through the interior will be a wingless Nieuport with pilots students riding it. It will appear that a throttle has gotten stuck during a ground taxi class. Several figures running from the careening trainer. This will require 11 - 13 Nieuport 21, 24 & 24 bis, (trainer) kits or fuselages for the interior.

Some of the ideas I toyed with were; sign on the exterior should point to the ‘wing repair shop.’ On the roof there will be a crashed Nieuport trainer. The crashed trainer will draw onlookers and spectator figures. Also there will be a pilot picking up a repaired trainer and an office ‘Pogue’ with a ream of govt. documents.

Since the header image is not specifically from the Field Five shops I will take some artisitic license in buildings and detailing my version.

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 25, 2012 - 03:52 PM UTC
Starting with a test grouping of some semi finished builds.

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 25, 2012 - 03:58 PM UTC
Test grouping #2.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 25, 2012 - 04:05 PM UTC
Test grouping #2 again. (I know someone is going to ask about the rudder.)

Test grouping #3. Note the Nieuport 27 fuselage.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 25, 2012 - 04:09 PM UTC

The wings to the kits will go in overhead racks like the header image.

Here are various pieces of field equipment I may use. (The figures are for another diorama.)
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 26, 2012 - 03:29 AM UTC
Here with basic colour applied here are French 1/48 Eduard figures. When finished I'll include them.

Review here

OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 26, 2012 - 08:43 PM UTC
Most inspiring too! I'll be following this very closely as well!

Mikael
russamotto
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
AeroScale: 375 posts
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2012 - 12:42 AM UTC
I like both of these dioramas. Looks like they will both be huge, but well organized.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2012 - 03:16 PM UTC
Thank you gents for your encouragement. Here are some comments from a fellow that interviewed one of the AEF boys who served at Issoudon.

" don't have any specific ideas but will pass along some information I got from a first-hand source a few years ago that hopefully will be helpful to you.

There was a man who lived across town who was one of the first Americans in the Air Service to get over to France. He spent his entire time, well over a year, doing several jobs at Issodoun. I had the privilege of visiting with him one day and he shared the following observations that may relate to your project.

His job title was "Chauffeur" which he did regularly but among his other tasks were to spin the props to start the engines, and check and adjust the tension of the wires after each flight.

He said that the wire / turnbuckle adjustments were time-consuming until you got the hang of it.

He never liked pulling the props on the planes. Some of his friends "got a haircut" as he put it when they weren't careful. (I can second that - I've done it many times on small planes and there's just something about that little breeze on the back of your knuckles, if you're a little slow sometimes pulling away, that goes straight to your heart.)

He said that at one point they rigged up a system on a truck that was geared to the engine where they could pull up to the aircraft, put the arm on the prop and spin it that way. Everybody really liked that. I've seen pictures of such an arrangement but I have no idea if it was the one they had there. (Edit. . .Hucks Starter.)

He said when they first arrived they lived out in the open or in tents. He said that it was very cold, wet, and muddy and they lost a number of guys to illness from exposure. Eventually they built enough wooden buildings for everyone, but it took a while, and the first buildings went to the students. They didn't get theirs until later. I got the impression that mud was a big part of their lives, just as it was to the guys in the trenches.

He said he was never anywhere near the front lines but he had a number of German artifacts. He got these by trading with the Doughboys who had brought them back, probably for that express purpose. I'm sure this was fairly common practice then as it was in other wars.

Submitted as food for thought. Good luck with your display."
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2012 - 03:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Test grouping #3. Note the Nieuport 27 fuselage.

Modeler (and Waldo resin owner) Peter Leonard wrote of the N. 27 fuselage at left.

"Oops! That just might be a Waldo conversion kit. It was created as a means of using up surplus resin during a pour. Do you mean to tell me someone actually built one?"
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 28, 2012 - 01:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Greetings all; Here is a bit of fun I have been experimenting with. This is a Nieuport 21 (80hp) N.4545 School #1100) from Issoudon. This school number was assigned to Field # Five. The machine has the fuselage of N4545 but the wings from N4579. Often times when wings were reconditioned or repaired the American star and meatball was applied instead of the French cockade. Though more and more toward the end of 1918 this was done on instructor's machines (Nieuport 24, 24, bis and 27 types) exclusively. Also some Nieuport trainers had two sets of rigging cables on the landing gear instead of just one set.

My experiment was with duplicating the castor oil exhaust glaze that tended to build up on the trainers of the AEF. Crews often had several aircraft that had to be readied for the next days instruction. This exhaust buildup usually had to be sanded off and the area repainted. In the AEF training units it was considered a waste of time to do, as portions of the machine would probably be recovered or repaired several times within a three month period. Quarterly reviews were done on airframes to note the amount of work involved in maintaining their serviceability.

(From the wrecked and derelict thread, 2008.)
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 28, 2012 - 01:49 PM UTC
From my Nieuport portfolio part 3. Nieuport 27, 84xx? School number #576 The Nieuport 27 & 27 bis was essentially a Nieuport 24 & 24 bis with a split axle like those found on Sopwith fighter aircraft. This is the old Waldo resin fuselage with modifications. It will remain wingless to be incorporated in a pending diorama. I still need to do some rigging and add the lower wing attachment points.

(From the wrecked & derelict thread, 2009.)
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 28, 2012 - 02:16 PM UTC
Next is the addition of the cowling after representative damage has been done to a couple of the engine cylinders and the aircraft identity number. Next will be the exposed rigging.

thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 29, 2012 - 03:23 AM UTC
Hello Stephen , will follow your projects when ever I get the chance , these are going to a lot of fun !

Terri
GWA
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, July 30, 2012 - 06:14 AM UTC

Here is a shot of a repair shop at the French Escadrille #3. Note the stencil and aircraft parts. The character of the mechanics really is apparent.
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,032 posts
AeroScale: 1,025 posts
Posted: Monday, July 30, 2012 - 01:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Here is a shot of a repair shop at the French Escadrille #3. Note the stencil and aircraft parts. The character of the mechanics really is apparent.

Wonderful photo Stephen, one that is worth "a thousand words"! You are right on; the character(s) resident in this pose are fascinating, wish we could know more! If nothing else this is indeed a tribute to those who worked behind the scenes to keep airframes available "on the lines". Looks like all the Trades/Specialties are covered in this group.
Looking forward to more photos and progress on this project......captivating to say the very least.
Cheers,
Lance
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 05, 2012 - 12:20 PM UTC
Greetings all,

To continue, here are a couple of shot of Field Five at 3rd AIC Issoudon.

The "shed" in the lower center of the bottom image is one of the fueling stations.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 05, 2012 - 12:38 PM UTC
There were 2 cadre training units on Field Five that taught aerobatics or combat flight maneuvers.

The 31st Aero and the 101st Aero. The instructors or commander's machine were the only ones to carry the unit insignia.

Here is "ISIS" Nieuport 27 of the 31st Aero. This image is the basis of Roden's profile in their Nieuport 27 kit.

Here is a Nieuport 24bis of the 101st Aero.

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 08, 2012 - 11:40 AM UTC

Here is a close up of a "Gas Station" at the 3rd AIC.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 12, 2012 - 04:58 PM UTC
Summary of American training at Issoudon:
(From the Manuscript ‘Billy Bones - An Accounting of the 31st Aero Sqdn.)

If you had found yourself in Issoudon, France at the Third Aviation Instruction Center (3rd A.I.C.) with the American Air Service as a pilot trainee in 1918, it would be a matter of course that you come to Field Five. Landings, Spirals and Acrobatics were the daily meat here. Considered to be the advanced training phase Field Five had a wicked reputation for being “the field of graves” to many “would-be knights of the air.” The price of training 3,111 men at Issoudon was $27,045,395.53 in 1918 alone. This created an average cost per man of $8,693.47. If the war had continued through 1919 the projected total cost of training was expected to rise to about $40,000,000.00. At the Third Aviation Instruction Center” there were assigned as cadre 1,165 officers and 4,860 enlisted men to keep the training schedules on target and aircraft flying for the operations of its eventual 14 airfields training both pilots and observers.

At the headquarters of the American Expeditionary Forces in Paris it was with typical military consideration that the Projects Department selected the worst possible land for use as a training area under the most grievous weather conditions. The hardships of military life during war are compounded by the rear echelon types that make decisions from their comfortable offices. Farmland was set aside for the use of the American Air Service training. Almost over-night barracks and hangars went up, roads were cut and graded and trucks traveled to disbursement points to pick up water, supplies, cadets and coffins in a daily routine. Much like a casual view of an ant farm, each and every movement of the hive was meant to prepare young men to face the duty of war in the air.

Each Field had its academic and operational specialties. Depending on when a student passed through the 3rd A.I.C. some classes were moved from one Field to another as it expanded and grew. Field One taught Taxing in clipped wing Morane Saulnier Parasol (Penguins) types. This was needed to teach the novice about controlling the machine on the ground first. Field Two taught Dual Control Operations on Nieuport 10 and 12 types (23 meter.) This involved the student being watched over by an instructor. If there was a problem the instructor could take over control of the machine. Field Three students flew Cross-Country flights. These flights were to teach the student how to recognize familiar terrain features and be able to orientate him self by using landmarks. Field Four familiarized students with the Nieuport 21 (18 meter types) and later on, the Nieuport 24 (15 meter types.) The types chosen for training purposes included Nieuport 21, 21 bis, 24 and 24 bis. Field Five as discussed earlier taught Full Power Landings, Spirals and Aerial Acrobatics. Most of these instructions were done on the ground with the student in the cockpit and the French instructors standing on a ladder beside the aircraft counting out the steps in a given maneuver , “Un. Deux, Trois, Quatre. Then the maneuver was attempted inflight. At Field Six students learned to land an aircraft “Dead-stick” (motor power off.) Field Seven was used for Formation Flying. Field Eight was where the students were transitioned to newer and armed fighters like Spad, Sopwith, SE 5a and late Nieuport types. Students were given sealed orders and told to go up and hunt a fellow student, the“enemy” in a certain area with an aircraft that would be camera gun equipped.. Field Nine was developed to include a gunnery range, so when the French school at Cazaux was full students could carry on their training. Some veterans have said that they believed that the graves were at Field Thirteen. The fact appears that there were some graves at all of the operational fields. Fields 10 -14 handled Bomber and Observer’s operations training. Cadre and students are quoted as saying that “...there was a funeral at the 3rd A.I.C everyday but Monday and the day after it rained.”

More pilots and students were killed on the Nieuport 21 (18 meter) type than any other according to former Lt. Temple N. Joyce. Who not only graduated from the 3rd A.I.C. in Feb. 1918. but returned in mid 1918 to become its Chief Test Pilot and Accident Investigator. The Nieuport 21, “18 meter” (with 80 hp LeRhône rotary)was chosen to be the first trainer for the Americans. It was essentially a Nieuport 17 C.1 without armament. Since it wasn’t intended to carry any armament or ammunition it was not necessary to have a Nieuport 17 motor (110-120 hp LeRhône rotary) to attain a similar performance for students. The “bis” suffix was denoting a variation that might include altered wing, tail or fuselage surfaces. These variations were often incorporated in subsequent production types as standard features. The Nieuport 21 bis included a fully rounded or “faired” fuselage and the Clerget 110hp rotary. The Nieuport 24 had the similar layout but included alterations to wings ,15 meters in area, tail and a fuselage rounded out using stringers from cockpit to tail. The Nieuport 24 bis kept the altered fuselage and wings but reverted back to the Nieuport 17 and 21 vertical and horizontal tail surfaces. The Nieuport 27 bis was essentially a Nieuport 24 bis with a split axle like those found on Sopwith fighter aircraft. It has been noted that at least some of the instructors or Commander’s aircraft often kept the original/ higher horsepower motors with 110 - 120hp LeRhône 9J, Clerget 9Z or 9B types. When a class of students finished their courses at Field Five, they were transferred to Field Seven. If the class at Field Seven is still finishing your class would have stand-by waiting at Field Five, Since there was very limited barrack space this could hold up the class that was due to come to Field Five. The old “Hurry up and wait game“at its finest. The only Field that never seemed to experience this concern was Field Thirteen. As stated earlier each of the existing ‘Fields’ seemed to have its share of graves by Summer 1918. There is no indication that after Field Thirteen was established that any existing graves were moved from the other Fields to be re-interned there.

In the end it was all erased. The land was returned to the farmers. The buildings and hangars were torn down. The graves of the fallen instructors and students were moved to perpetual cemeteries. In 1962 a former Instructor at Issoudon, Mr. Keeling Pulliam of Field Four who’s various Nieuport fighters were painted like 1.American Eagle & 2. A carnivorous Flying Fish ( not the ship called ‘The Jazbo.’ ) said when he visited the original site he could find nothing to prove that there was ever a training center. That is until he ventured into a stand of trees where he found the stone pillar that had once served as part of the entrance to the Main Fields (One -Two & Three.) These were located at the hub of the Third Aviation Instruction Center’s operations in 1918.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 15, 2012 - 06:20 AM UTC
Here are some images of LeRhône rotary engine test blocks and repair.

80hp on block.

120hp on block.

80hp under repair.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 18, 2012 - 01:40 PM UTC
With nine total Nieuports (21 & 27 types) nearing completion I am looking at the size of the base I will need. It will be unrealistic for me to attempt both inside and outside hangar activity. (And it would mean many more Nieuport 21-27 kits.} Also with High-Tech out of production, it will take scrounging for any additional Nieu. 24-27 type kits. The two basic racks for the wings have been completed and will need considerable support to mount. Though I do have some thoughts on how to proceed.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 19, 2012 - 02:23 AM UTC
Here are the basic wing racks.

Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2012 - 12:55 AM UTC
Hello Stephen:

This is going to be neat. I just now started into this thread and your naration of events are quite interesting. I will be watching this from time to time to see how you are progressing and offer "comment" and encouragement as you progress.

Best
Mark
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, September 07, 2012 - 03:01 PM UTC
Thanks Mark! Always good to hear from you.

Now, here are some film clips of Issoudon's 3rd AIC airfields.

Click here.

_GOTOTOP