_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
F-106 1/48 Revellogram Finished
woltersk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 1,026 posts
AeroScale: 215 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 04, 2012 - 01:29 PM UTC
This is a recently completed build for the Delta Dawn Campaign.  Do to the campaign deadline time crunch, and other life events, I had not had time to take anything more than cell phone pics. I had promised photos taken with a decent camera and here they are. 

As the other Delta Dawners know, I was not happy with how this build turned out.  Lots of issues with the final overall gray color, landing gear fit, custom made tail flash decals, and other shortcomings.  Nothing that can't be fixed, just a bit frustrating. 

Keith

Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 04, 2012 - 01:34 PM UTC
Keith, I just wanted to say the model looks quite good to me. I don't have an issue with the color either, remember that some colors change color according to how much exposure to ultraviolet light they get. I think it is a fine looking build and think you should be proud of it. Russell

P.S. I don't count problems with decals because as any modeler knows, that is something which is largely out of your control. It is like silvering or decals that bleed, you can't sometimes do anything about it.
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2,798 posts
AeroScale: 2,443 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 05, 2012 - 12:57 AM UTC
You finished my campaign just fine sir don't be so hard on your self not every model will come out perfect trust me.but I agree with Sid you can have a flight line of 20 birds and they will all look different .i think you did an excellent job and much deserved the ribbon Be proud of that sir there's alot that didn't finish
litespeed
Staff MemberNews Reporter
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,976 posts
AeroScale: 1,789 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 09, 2012 - 09:54 AM UTC
Hi Keith
I like the paint effect, it looks mildly weathered as if it has been out in the sun for a long time. Just look at your efforts with the tail decaling as part of the learning process that we all have to go through when we are tackling something new . I have never tried to make my own decals so well done to you for trying.
All the best.
tim
jfmajor60
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 15 posts
AeroScale: 11 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 09, 2012 - 12:59 PM UTC
Very nicely done, what kit is that? I've been looking for one myself. I grew up about 30 miles north of Mcguire AFB in New Jersey in the mid to late 60's the The 539th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron used to fly the F-106 and I can still remember the sonic booms they used to make when they went ballistic before the FAA put a stop to it.
woltersk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 1,026 posts
AeroScale: 215 posts
Posted: Friday, August 10, 2012 - 07:25 AM UTC
Thanks for the kind words and support gentlemen.

@Russell & Justin--I keep telling myself that most of the existing photos of F-106s were of pristine birds and that there must have been some grimy, faded aircraft out there somewhere.  Undoubtedly any -106 which had scrambled to intercept a Bear or Badger at full speed and to altitude would come back looking worse for wear.  

@Tim--This was my first attempt at multi-colored decals after having done quite a few simple monochromatic markings.  But after success with those I expected better results with these.  But like you said--live and learn and maybe next time. I still have the artwork so I could always try it again.  Making your own decals is not as complicated or scary as it sounds. The Testors Custom Decal System is surprisingly easy to use. All you need is an inkjet printer and a program to create the artwork on--PowerPoint, a word processor, or photo manipulation software such as Gimp or PhotoShop.

@Jim--The kit is the Revell/Monogram 1/48th F-106 Delta Dart kit number 5847. box art and instruction sheet but with 'Monogram' and '1984' molded into a few of the larger parts.  The kit comes with two sets of markings: the 456 FIS at Castle AFB and the 48 FIS at Langley. I remember the good ol' days when our aircraft were allowed to break the sound barrier over the continental US.  

Thanks again All!

Keith
mrockhill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 566 posts
AeroScale: 507 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 14, 2012 - 03:34 AM UTC
Your F-106 looks quite good to me, but I understand how those issues unfamiliar to everyone else who hasnt spent many hours inches away from the build can nag the builder. The F-106 has got to be my favorite cold war fighter/interceptor.

As a child I lived in the flightpath for the "Jersey Devils" based around Alantic City NJ. Everytime I heard them coming Id run outside and lay in this one spot of the yard where they seemed to pass directly overhead. Quite exciting for a 3 to 5 year old. It was loud and exhilarating and best of all it seemed to happen almost everyday!
 _GOTOTOP