_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Dr.I pilot down
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2012 - 06:36 PM UTC
It has taken me a little while to even talk about this.

Dr.I replica crashes

Mark is out of surgery (5:45 p.m. MDT Aug 26). Had to cut part of sac around heart away; monitoring brain swelling; broken arm & ribs on top of other issues. Will be in ICU.

8/28/12 Written 3 hours before this post by james taylor

Mark is currently resting comfortably this evening, we will focus on him getting the maximum amount of rest this evening and look forward to continued improvements in his condition.

We will provide another update in the morning on his status.
Thank you for your continued thoughts and prayers.

Here we are on facebook.

our wall
dioman13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
AeroScale: 54 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2012 - 07:21 AM UTC
Best off luck for Mark, his family and friends. Reach for the blue.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 30, 2012 - 02:29 PM UTC

From my Hells Angels Feature here at Aeroscale. Mark Holliday is 3rd from the right.
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,032 posts
AeroScale: 1,025 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 30, 2012 - 03:05 PM UTC
Stephen,
Please know my thoughts are with this Flyer in his "down" time and also with his friend, yourself. Words sometimes can be viewed as "a cheap investment" however as a person who flew in service for 30 years I believe I can credibly and proudly comment on such things........ I've seen a lot of nasty things happen over the years in the flying profession however I never lost sight of, nor should those hoping for Mark's recovery, the fact that he would not change what he's done or the path he chose for anything. It's a special world, he's obviously a very special Guy, and he'll continue, God willing, to do as he's done once recovered.
There's a lot of Blue Skies still ahead for this driver!
Cheers and best to Mark,
Lance
wolfpack6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 179 posts
AeroScale: 80 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 30, 2012 - 05:03 PM UTC
My prayers are with you Folks.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 02, 2012 - 02:17 PM UTC
More good news! He is concious and stable. No longer intibated and breathing on his own. He had back surgery to stabilize his spine but it seems to have gone well.
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 02, 2012 - 08:08 PM UTC
That is good news Stephen! Hoping for a speedy recovery.

Mikael
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, September 03, 2012 - 03:27 AM UTC
Greetings Micahel, Here is the latest word.

"Mark had a restful day today in the ICU. He still has a tracheotomy, but is able to breathe on his own. He is being given additional oxygen with each breath.

Mark is aware of his surroundings and people, and today, he was able to speak a couple of words to Marilyn, his sister, and the nursing staff.

His lungs are looking clear and the doctor is confident that the risk of infection is low. If everything stays the same overnight, the antibiotics will be discontinued tomorrow.

The family would like to express their heartfelt gratitude to everyone who has left a message of support on the Guestbook page, it is checked numerous times a day and all messages of support are greatly appreciated. Thank you very much . . ."

lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, September 04, 2012 - 08:12 AM UTC
Great news Stephen and thanks for the update. Please keep us posted.
Cheers,
Lance
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Friday, September 07, 2012 - 12:50 AM UTC
Hello Stephen:

I am just now getting to this and am saddened to read this. My thoughts and prayers go out to Mark for a full recovery.

Warmest regards

Mark
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, September 07, 2012 - 02:59 AM UTC
Greetings all,
This is from Mark's sister last night.

"Good evening everyone. Mark had a fairly peaceful day today. Finally a chance to just stay put and not have to make any preparations for surgery or groggy recoveries after surgery. He has had the speaking device on him all day, and it has been delightful to hear him speak to us each time he wakes. It appears he's adjusted to the breathing techniques, and the device will most likely remain in place. His conversation ranges from the very lucid to the somewhat amusing.

This is being written by Julia, and it will be my last update for a while. I am leaving Colorado tomorrow and heading home to Minnesota. It was hard to say "goodbye" to Mark this evening. I gave him my usual wordy explanations about leaving and long goodbyes. Mark gave me a smile, squeezed my hand and said "OK, I'll see you tomorrow then."

Once home in Minnesota, I'll be joining the ranks of all you special friends who have been encouraging Mark and supporting Marilyn from long distances on the guestbook pages of this Caringbridge site. This website is a wonderful blessing. Thank you all."
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, September 07, 2012 - 03:06 AM UTC
This is what Mark survived.

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, September 17, 2012 - 12:39 PM UTC
Written 8 hours ago by Family of Mark Holliday

Good Morning:

Mark had a fairly restful night but is doing a lot of coughing this morning. He was unable to swallow his breakfast which is a change from yesterday when he was eating pretty well. After seeing him a short time ago, the respitory therapist is suggesting that a very small trach be put back in to allow access for draining the fluid that he cannot cough up...we definitely do not need any pneumonia now!

The case worker from the acute care facility was in to evaluate Mark and she feels he is a candidate for their intermediate therapy program before going into intensive therapy at Craig. His neuro doctor has not been in yet so there is no feedback from him. I think it will depend on this new lung issue.

I will update more after his other doctors have been in.

Have a good Monday!

Marilyn
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 26, 2012 - 06:40 PM UTC
Greetings all,
Here is some continued encouragement on the health of Mark Holliday.

Quoted Text

"Good Afternoon:
When I updated on this past Sunday, I said it had been a month since the accident however it had been 4 weeks. Today is the actual one month anniversary of "the hard landing" and a perfect time to say once again how grateful we are for all of the continued support from all of Mark's many friends. The cards, calls and comments have been very heartwarming and comforting for me...and 20,373 visits on CaringBridge is amazing! Most important, all of the many prayers over the past month have truly been answered with Mark's continued recovery. He still has a ways to go but he cannot fail with such a great support team!

Now for today. . .
Mark slept well last night...the rehab tired him out. His therapy session today was more active, they put him in a wheel chair and took him to the gym to do hand/arm cycling exercises. It really tired him out after about 20 minutes but he did great. Today he was able to get rid of the dreaded open back nightgown. His current outfit includes an airplane t-shirt (what else?) and a pair of Family Guy sleep pants with Stuey on them. He got a lot of attention on his way to the gym! The gang from the airport is coming to visit after dinner...he's dressed for visitors!

That's all for now. . .have a nice evening!

Love and God Bless,

Marilyn"

OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 26, 2012 - 08:34 PM UTC
Glad to hear that the recovery is moving in the right direction. Hoping for more good news soon!

Mikael
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2012 - 07:15 AM UTC
Just got back from an absence and caught this great news update. Can't keep a good man down, he's showing that "Right Stuff" we all admire......as they used to say on one of our Canadian Fighter Squadrons "Tiger-Tiger!"
Mark is obviously a real one.
Cheers and God Bless,
Lance
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 20, 2012 - 03:48 PM UTC
Good news from the Platte Valley nest of the Vintage Aero Flying Museum!

Quoted Text

"Good Tuesday Evening:

Today was busy for both of us...Mark had his intense day long therapy and ended up with relaxing pool time...and after working with the EN staff to get everything ready for our homecoming on Thanksgiving Thursday, I returned in time to have a nice hospital cafeteria food dinner in our room...Life Is Good!!! I am very blessed to have my wonderful employees who are now working hard to keep the tradition of our resident/family holiday dinners alive. In addition to resident and staff family attendance we have our annual PVA family members attending and are looking to have about 30+ this year. Paper plates, of course...and a potluck dinner enjoyed by all. We have to be back to Craig by 7:00PM...hospital curfew... so that Mark can be ready for Friday Hard Work!

That's all until tomorrow...

Love,

Marilyn"

Mark has had a long and difficult road to recovery since the crash. But there is a great deal of hope these days.
Though a bit scar-ed he still has the heart of an eagle.
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, November 21, 2012 - 10:07 AM UTC
Very good news; Thanks for the update Stephen.
Cheers (and best wishes and prayers to Mark)
Lance
 _GOTOTOP