_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Austro-Daimler experts? Help!
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 06, 2012 - 12:25 PM UTC
I've just taken delivery of a couple of Karaya's wonderful little Austro-Daimler engines and I'm puzzled by the inclusion of what appears to be a dozen small brackets. I've never seen anything like them in any of the pictures I've managed to find online. Can anyone enlighten me as to their purpose and where they might go on the engine? I've circled one set in the picture.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 06, 2012 - 01:37 PM UTC
Hey Jessica,
Karaya Austro Daimler 200hp

These are the rocker spring arms. They sit above the twin springs. They are supposed to sit in the groove at the top of the shroud and rest their ends on each spring.

My biggest issue with Karaya is that they don't provide instructions. But we take care of that here.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Thursday, September 06, 2012 - 02:37 PM UTC
Okay, I guess it's all right that 2 of them seem to have vanished into the space warp, since the springs on the first two cylinders have also vanished. Scratch building time once again.

Now onto the next mystery. I'm guessing that thin bent pipe-like part that's currently just above the cylinders wraps around the right-hand side of the engine just about midway up the cylinder bank?

Instructions? I'd have been happy with a couple more nice drawings like the box top illustration.
nosewrit
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 86 posts
AeroScale: 69 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 09, 2012 - 12:33 PM UTC
Hey Jessica,

Try Here for photos of a daimler undergoing restoration.

Hope this helps, Matt
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 09, 2012 - 01:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Okay, I guess it's all right that 2 of them seem to have vanished into the space warp, since the springs on the first two cylinders have also vanished. Scratch building time once again.

Now onto the next mystery. I'm guessing that thin bent pipe-like part that's currently just above the cylinders wraps around the right-hand side of the engine just about midway up the cylinder bank?

Instructions? I'd have been happy with a couple more nice drawings like the box top illustration.

It is the water pipes to the cylinder jackets.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Sunday, September 09, 2012 - 04:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Since I can't see it in the box top drawing, I have to assume that it goes on the right side of the engine, correct? Where are the attachment points? It appears to want to sit about halfway up the cylinders with the front and rear ends connecting to the engine block. Or am I completely out to lunch with that?
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 09, 2012 - 06:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Since I can't see it in the box top drawing, I have to assume that it goes on the right side of the engine, correct? Where are the attachment points? It appears to want to sit about halfway up the cylinders with the front and rear ends connecting to the engine block. Or am I completely out to lunch with that?

Yes Jessica, it runs along pretty much where the grooves in the barrel jackets are from the water pump which is the lump at the rear of the engine. Its two pipes. I'm not 100% sure where the top one terminates in the pic I have it appears to drop into the casing. on the kit part it seem it would connect onto the front barrel somewhere.

Keith
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2012 - 01:23 PM UTC
Here is a bit of fun on the subject.

OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2012 - 07:46 PM UTC
Nice one Stephen – is this engine from one of Koloman's projects?

Mikael
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2012 - 03:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice one Stephen – is this engine from one of Koloman's projects?

Mikael

Yes, he graciously allows me to use them here.
 _GOTOTOP