_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Campaign Proposal: The Scratchmobile
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 624 posts
AeroScale: 609 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 06, 2012 - 10:18 PM UTC
Hi everybody,

I was thinking about launching a scratchbuilding campaign - "The Scratchmobile". There might be no interest at all, but I would like to test you interest. I still don't have any rules or regs defined, but I am thinking according the following lines:

1.)All eras and types of aircraft are most welcome;
2.)1/72 to 1/32 scale range (can be revised);
3.) It must be a full scratch in either resin or plastic (already existing resin or any other bits and parts like seats, weaponry, etc. are acceptable);
4.)The subject is not previously kited in that particular scale (this should be a mark of originality);
5.) The deadline must be extended, possibly 12 months or more (subject to approval).

other regs are open for discussion and your contribution is most welcome! Now, we need only ten interested people to go!!!

Tell me what you think,
All the best

windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,917 posts
AeroScale: 563 posts
Posted: Friday, September 07, 2012 - 01:13 AM UTC
I love the idea! My strength is scratchbuilding (my weakness is painting and finishing).
But what kits aren't made? (Okay, I myself did an HH-52A conversion, but technically there was a resin one out there.) I think finding a subject could be a task in itself.
Count me in though. I'll figure something out.
-Sean H.
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Friday, September 07, 2012 - 03:38 AM UTC
There have been a few scratch building campaigns in the past. You may be better off posting this proposal as network wide campaign to get more interest?

Quoted Text

3.) It must be a full scratch in either resin or plastic (already existing resin or any other bits and parts like seats, weaponry, etc. are acceptable);
4.)The subject is not previously kited in that particular scale (this should be a mark of originality);

I personally think that these rules could seriously put a lot of people off. What would be better is allowing entrants to use some kit plastic parts as a base subject so they could scratch a different mark of a particular vehicle that not been kitted.
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Friday, September 07, 2012 - 05:22 AM UTC
Hi guys,

I very much appreciate your input. Nothing is definitive yet, and there is enough time to wrap it all together. We could also think about some kitbashing and scratchbuilding combined. It is not my intention to put people off; I know that people are somewhat resilient to take a challenge. But the point behind is to stir some interest in modelling hobby as something both educational and creative... you don't have to be a master modeler to make something on your own. But I do agree with Sean that finding the model could be a campaign in itself, but this rule can be altered as well to accommodate others as well.

nice... it started to roll!

All the best,
Entoni

amegan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 996 posts
AeroScale: 915 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2012 - 08:41 AM UTC
I'd go for it, and I even have a couple of subjects. There are very few kits of light aircraft, I would look at a Jodel D150 Mascaret, I've flown one and I think they are wonderful. I could also go for a Vans RV-8, an aircraft I would love to own. I think the rule should allow use of kit parts, but not more than a small portion of any one kit.
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2012 - 09:35 PM UTC
@amegan: Glad to hear that you consider joining the campaign! This makes three of us already... and I do agree with you that only small portions of original parts (if they exist)could be allowed. It is very important, however, that we keep discussing and ammend the rules and regs, and also to keep this thread alive. And agai, should we go network wide, or just keep it here on Aeroscale?

I am considering several posibilities for this build, but I would really like to scratch ex-Yugoslav Soko J-21 Jastreb in 1:48 scale. It is demanding, but I should give it a try. It was never kitted in this scale before.

All the best,
Entoni
tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,507 posts
AeroScale: 1,814 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2012 - 10:27 PM UTC
Hi Entoni
I would sign up for the challenge.
Wood/plastic fabrication,though not sure what to build ,maybe a glider.

Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Friday, September 14, 2012 - 07:48 AM UTC
Hi Entoni

I love the idea of doing a scratchbuild again - it's years since I did some for Blueprint Models, so it would be great to try my hand again! There are several subjects I'm itching to tackle. For me the big issue would be the timescale, as I have enough trouble finding time to even build a kit these days. I'd definitely need a year - and constant nagging to keep me on track...

All the best

Rowan
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Monday, September 17, 2012 - 12:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

For me the big issue would be the timescale, as I have enough trouble finding time to even build a kit these days. I'd definitely need a year - and constant nagging to keep me on track...

Well, I am thinking along these lines as well. I will try and sum-up rules and regs for further discussion; it seems that we already have five people willing to join... I must admit it is more than I expected. Let's keep it rolling...

All the best,
Entoni
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Monday, September 17, 2012 - 02:05 AM UTC
I would be up for this campaign.

Bob
tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,507 posts
AeroScale: 1,814 posts
Posted: Monday, September 17, 2012 - 03:53 AM UTC
Hi Entoni
I think that I would need a year for this one due to the planning and scratch building.
I will also be active in many campaigns next year.
Any way I hope we come up with a campaign!
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Monday, September 17, 2012 - 10:55 PM UTC
Hi everybody,

I tried to wrap-up some of the Rules and Regs for this campaign. This is only a proposal, and it is open for discussion. Your contribution is most welcome and expected; I am very glad how this is developing so far, but we still need more people to show interest, so keep it alive:

Operational Overview:
The Scratchmobile campaign is meant to stir and facilitate interest in scratchbuilding as inventive and appealing modelling technique. It is an operation type campaign themed around scratching at least one aviation subject of your own choice in suggested scales.

The Rules and Regs:
• We are open for any type and any era aviation subject – the build must be based on historical evidence; short introductory paragraph with at least one photo of the chosen subject is a must;
• Any medium is allowed - styrene, resin, paper, aluminium, wood, or any other material of your own preference;
• Scales 1:72 to 1:32;
• The subject was not previously kitted in that particular scale;
• The use of ready-made and available items, such as interior or exterior details – seats, gun sights, other cockpit details, antennae, armament... is generally allowed, but should not exceed a total of 20 parts;
• Stand alone or diorama allowed;
• No starting before the campaign is allowed, and the model should be done at the end of the campaign. The campaign will last for 12 months;
• Photos of the work in progress must be posted in the official campaign thread. Individual build logs are allowed and strongly encouraged;
• Post at least two photos of your finished model in the official Campaign Gallery.

Contest Element:
Upon successful completion of this campaign you will receive the campaign ribbon to decorate your profile page and act as a link back to the campaign page.

All the best,
Entoni
Bink123
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 414 posts
AeroScale: 364 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 18, 2012 - 05:45 AM UTC
Hi.

I have never attempted a complete scratch build of a particular subject.

There is a 'Porco Rosso' group build here at aeroscale of which I am taking part. I will be attempting a scratch built seaplane inspired by the film of the same name. I think that this is a good way to get into scratch building, ie not having to follow plans of a real aircraft, nor in a particular scale.

May I make a suggestion to allow a scratch build of a what-if, or speculative nature. More people might be tempted to take the plunge.

Just a suggestion. I have great admiration for those who can scratch build, and I am looking forward to trying my hand at a 'Porco Rosso' inspired sea plane.

Cheers, Rick B.

PS .re your signature - once a number of years ago, I was in a flower shop buying a plant and some fertilizer. I said to the clerk regarding the fertilizer, " If everything else fails read the instructions, right?". The clerk replied, " Everything else WILL fail, unless you DO read the instructions":-)
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Tuesday, September 18, 2012 - 06:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

PS .re your signature - once a number of years ago, I was in a flower shop buying a plant and some fertilizer. I said to the clerk regarding the fertilizer, " If everything else fails read the instructions, right?". The clerk replied, " Everything else WILL fail, unless you DO read the instructions":-)

Hi Rick,

I am very happy that you were attracted to this thread... To be honest with you, I started reading the instructions, but only after I got married

Your suggestion for the "what if" subject is also open for consideration. I leave it up to others to decide... The intention of this campaign is to be attractive and as educational as possible, so I don't see major problems with it. All the best for your Porco Rosso Campaign!

Entoni
amegan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 996 posts
AeroScale: 915 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 18, 2012 - 10:39 AM UTC
I think a "what if" is an excellent way of expanding the attraction. I thought that the rules prohibiting a subject previously kitted in the same scale was a bit restrictive as I could be interested in a Percival Proctor, and this was kitted by Frog in the 1960s. Then I thought I could just do it in 1/48.
 _GOTOTOP