_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
Hi there from another newbie
stig1969
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3 posts
AeroScale: 3 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 09, 2012 - 02:12 PM UTC
This is my very first post on this forum, just thought a few words of introduction might not go amiss. As a slightly disillusioned railway modeller (it got VERY 'samey'!) I looked around for something different, and thought "Why not go back to model aircraft?"

I have a couple of questions:-

Even though I've settled on 1/144 scale, (space-saving, mainly), are Tamiya's 1/72 scale kits up to the standard of their bikes and cars (I threw dozens of these together in my dim and distant youth)? I wouldn't mind a crack at one of the US Navy Corsairs...

Revell have a range called 'Micro-Wings' with several WW2 fighters, etc. Anyone had a play with them?

Cheers for now,

Steve
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 09, 2012 - 04:26 PM UTC
Welcome to Aeroscale, the best site on the interwebs

The new 1/72 Tamiya kits are wonderful. You may hear people speaking of "shake the box" kits, meaning that you pour in some glue, shake the box and a fully-assembled model falls out. Tamiya kits are nearly that easy to build. You will greatly enjoy those Corsairs, and anything else that catches your fancy.

As I understand it, the "micro wings" kits are simple basic models with one decal option. I believe that they're aimed at wargamers, but you can likely make a decent little model from them.
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,265 posts
AeroScale: 1,715 posts
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2012 - 01:16 AM UTC
Hullo Steve, welcome aboard. I've also settled on 144. looking forward to seeing your stuff.
I build the Revell Miniwings Corsair for the "Sky Pirates Campaign" group build last year read about it here starting on page 7.
They are crude and require a fair bit of tinkering to make a decent looking model, but the proportions are good.

In the case of the Corsair, this is to my knowledge the only styrene kit ever offered in 144.

_GOTOTOP