_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Typhoon in Progress
SgtRam
Staff MemberEditor-at-Large
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
AeroScale: 511 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 14, 2012 - 07:14 AM UTC
Just thought I would share my Typhoon in progress. It is the Hasegawa 1/48 kit, the Mk.IB.

The invasion stripes were airbrushed starting with white, then the black, then the camouflage. The process terrified me, as I masked each layer, and had no idea how it would turn out till I finished the paint.

So just a few more details, then weathering left.

Kevin
spiralcity
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 150 posts
AeroScale: 107 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 14, 2012 - 07:02 PM UTC
It's looking good, nice job with the stripes.
DougN1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 410 posts
AeroScale: 409 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 17, 2012 - 08:56 AM UTC
Looks good Kevin, masking seems to have turned out great!

I'm looking forward to the finished model, as this is a scheme I also plan to do someday

Doug
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 17, 2012 - 01:03 PM UTC
Got to love the "Tiffy" or is it "Tiffie"? Great work there, Russell.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 17, 2012 - 01:43 PM UTC
That's quite a nice tiffie : )
You may wish to correct a small paint issue before you hang the prop. The inside of the radiator housing at the nose was the same colour as the exterior camouflage rather than being interior green.

Will it have the 4 blade prop?
raypalmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,151 posts
AeroScale: 985 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 17, 2012 - 02:20 PM UTC
The interesting (but frustrating) thing is that the invasion stripes were painted on by hand, with ye old hog hair brushes. And depending on the bloke who did it. The stripes were pretty shabby.

Now I'm like you, I would be compulsively driven to make perfect ones. Also it seems like making them look hand-painted would be an order of magnitudes more difficult than making them perfect. Don't think I could hack it....
SgtRam
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, October 17, 2012 - 11:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

That's quite a nice tiffie : )
You may wish to correct a small paint issue before you hang the prop. The inside of the radiator housing at the nose was the same colour as the exterior camouflage rather than being interior green.

Will it have the 4 blade prop?

Jesse

thanks for the heads up in the rad intake. As for the prop, I am just using the kit provided 3-blade.

Kevin
WoodshedWings
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 141 posts
AeroScale: 139 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2012 - 01:04 AM UTC
That's looking great. Looking forward to seeing more. I am building the same kit and am documenting my progress on my blog

http://woodieswings.blogspot.ca/

I am doing the 'sharkmouth' scheme using goodies from Avieology (decals), Ultracast (seat, 4 blade prop, wheels, exhausts and tempest tailplanes) and Aeries (gun bays).

Used Airscale decals on the panel.
spiralcity
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 150 posts
AeroScale: 107 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2012 - 08:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The interesting (but frustrating) thing is that the invasion stripes were painted on by hand, with ye old hog hair brushes. And depending on the bloke who did it. The stripes were pretty shabby.

Now I'm like you, I would be compulsively driven to make perfect ones. Also it seems like making them look hand-painted would be an order of magnitudes more difficult than making them perfect. Don't think I could hack it....

An earlier use of black and white bands was on the Hawker Typhoon and early production Hawker Tempest Mark Vs. The aircraft had a similar profile to the Focke-Wulf Fw 190 and the bands were added to aid identification in combat. The order was promulgated on 5 December 1942. At first they were applied by unit ground crews, but they were soon being painted on at the factory. Four 12-inch-wide (300 mm) black stripes separated by three 24-inch (610 mm) white, underwing from the wingroots. From early 1943 the Typhoons also had a yellow, 18-inch-wide (460 mm) stripe on each of the upper wings, centred on the inner cannon. All of these markings were officially abandoned 7 February 1944.

Slightly different from the standard invasion stripes, and actually a pretty nice paint scheme for the Tif.

Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 20, 2012 - 08:17 PM UTC
Hi Kevin,
Very nice looking Tiffy
If you are going to fit this with rockets then this might be of interest?:
Storm Bringers

Just one small observation, there should be a Sky band around the tail, partially obscured by the rear invasion stripe
SgtRam
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, October 21, 2012 - 02:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just one small observation, there should be a Sky band around the tail, partially obscured by the rear invasion stripe

Yeah, I got lazy on this one, I know wish I would have attempted to paint in on, I did not like how the decal was going to fit. But shhh.....LOL.

Thanks for the rocket info, I did some research, and found most common used rockets were black, thus that is the color I went with.

Kevin
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2012 - 04:38 AM UTC
I'd be very interested to see that about black rockets, RAF ordnance was deep bronze green, I have never seen a reference to black rockets, or any RAF ordnance? Whatever the colour the fill bands would remain the same
WoodshedWings
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 141 posts
AeroScale: 139 posts
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2012 - 06:51 AM UTC
I believe that Typhoons fitted with rockets also had the wing leading edge lights faired over. Something to bear in mind.
SgtRam
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2012 - 09:19 AM UTC
I found a schematic at one point and time, where is showed the HE version as black, but looking at pictures again, mostly black and white, and some colorized, they could of been dark bronze green.

As for the light, I missed that one when looking at pictures, but see it now. I also notice now that most did not have the yellow leading edge identification stripe either.

Thanks for the info, guess at some point I will have to build another for accuracy.

drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2012 - 09:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

My god! Imagine the criticism one would get presenting a model on a show with stripes like that
EdgarBrooks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 397 posts
AeroScale: 384 posts
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2012 - 07:32 PM UTC
In all this talk of roughly-painted stripes, remember one thing - scale. If the painter deviates by a whopping 2" (that's 5cm,) in 1/48 scale that equates to 1mm; is it worth all of the effort?
Edgar
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2012 - 12:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

In all this talk of roughly-painted stripes, remember one thing - scale. If the painter deviates by a whopping 2" (that's 5cm,) in 1/48 scale that equates to 1mm; is it worth all of the effort?
Edgar

Which brings us back to weathering and rivetting

The "rivets" many modellers put on their 1/48 (or smaller) scale models would be 24 mm thick bolts in real life
SgtRam
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2012 - 01:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Edgar

Which brings us back to weathering and rivetting

The "rivets" many modellers put on their 1/48 (or smaller) scale models would be 24 mm thick bolts in real life

Very true, but I have found in modeling some things need to be exateratied for effect. ie Panel Lines.

Antoni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 574 posts
AeroScale: 573 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2012 - 06:13 AM UTC
exateratied? Do you mean exaggerated?
SgtRam
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2012 - 07:49 AM UTC
I was at work, and my mind sometimes does not work well there......oopsss
EdgarBrooks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 397 posts
AeroScale: 384 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2012 - 05:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I found a schematic at one point and time, where is showed the HE version as black, but looking at pictures again, mostly black and white, and some colorized, they could of been dark bronze green.
As for the light, I missed that one when looking at pictures, but see it now. I also notice now that most did not have the yellow leading edge identification stripe either.

In 1970, an IPMS, and former Typhoon Squadron, member sent details of his Squadron, plus a photo, for the Society magazine. He said that they retained their l/e yellow bands, and their rockets, including the warheads, were black; he also said that his Squadron (198) painted the rear of their rocket fins white, so that they showed up better on cine film.
Several years ago, I was shown round the RAF Museum's (then) storage facility at Cardington, where I found a rocket warhead, which was bronze green. From this it would seem possible that either green or black could be correct; with so many being made, probably by different factories, and the heads not being screwed onto the bodies until required, who can tell for sure?
Edgar
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2012 - 06:15 PM UTC
The Americans used yellow fill bands but the British used pale green, with red and white denoting semi armour piercing (red, white, red armour piercing), the stenciling was black, so I think that black bodies would be highly unlikely, unless the warhead was re-painted at Squadron level, then why would they bother to add a yellow band? Fill bands are a standard so all factories would have painted them the same, otherwise there would have been great confusion.
The colour of RAF ordnance was changed sometime just before the start of the war but earlier painted bombs, in yellow (and I think with red fill bands), were seen until those stocks ran out.
SgtRam
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, November 11, 2012 - 03:09 AM UTC
Well here it done, a few inaccuracies, but I like how it came out, I did not weather it alot, as I kind of like the clean look on it.

_GOTOTOP