_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
1/48 B-24D finished
apalella
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 66 posts
AeroScale: 22 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 10, 2012 - 02:13 PM UTC
Just in case anyone is interested here are some pictures of Revell's B-24D with Eduard PE nose, tail and cockpit, and aftermarket decals. The 1/48 PE .50 calibers were a pain but worth it.

Enjoy.

I had some problems getting the Bare Metal Foil off the glass and I scratched it up pretty bad. Lesson learned.

However, I don't think the scratches really look too terrible, maybe just wear and tear scratches?

Running fuel stains:

A little blurry, I know

Thanks for looking!

-Andrew
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 10, 2012 - 02:39 PM UTC
Hi Andrew,

Welcome to the site!

Nice big B-24 you built there. Those P/E machine guns look great!

Masking and painting canopies -- I hate it! I've never used bare metal foil. Looks like the edges are sharp. Sorry about the scratches and residue. I mess up my canopies a lot, too. I'm sorry if I missed it but did you coat your clear parts with Future before masking? That helps a lot. Also, I have had success fixing scratches with putting Future over them.

I look forward to your next build!
GastonMarty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 595 posts
AeroScale: 507 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 11, 2012 - 01:11 PM UTC
Good to know about the potential for scratches from Bare-metal foil.

Future might help before or after to mitigate such things.

For those interested in neat symmetry, the B-24D fuselage had some sort of a flaw or defect, on the right fuselage half, that Monogram "erased" by "balooning" out slightly this right fuselage half (grinding out and polishing out the flaw in other words). This can be seen looking down the spine, starting from the right wing back.

It is more subdued than the similarly "balooned" right side of Monogram's B-29, which in this case carries all the way from nose to tail...

Interestingly enough, the B-24J nose turret kit version does NOT have this problem, and has perfect fuselage symmetry, as does their B-17G.

Gaston
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 11, 2012 - 01:21 PM UTC
Incredible build! Wow! Good job there. Russell
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2012 - 01:42 AM UTC
Nice build, Andrew! That "big car" (nickname of four-engine-bombers by german fighter pilots) also still sleeps in my stash. I have it from Revell Germany with different decals. But I also want to have the B-24 J .....
As Fred already wrote, try to paint some Future over the scratches on the clear parts and they should vanish more or less. I often use Eduard masks for my canopies, though with old kits they might not fit 100% correctly, as I've noticed on my Monogram P-61 .....

Happy modelling!
Torsten
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2012 - 08:29 PM UTC
Nice B-24 Andrew

I must admit that I have never understood the use of bare metal foil for masking clear parts, the adhesive is designed not to let go! I do think that it will stick, much, better to bare plastic, so a coat of Future could be the key (wash, dry, then dip your clear parts in Future, get rid of the excess by touching the corner to a paper towel. Cover the parts while they dry). If there is still residue this can be removed with, if memory serves me right (and don't bank on this) WD40! If there is residue the scratches may be in that? so once removed the appearance of the scratches may be lessened. Even so, as already suggested, carefully brushing on Future will, at least, soften the appearance of them and probably camouflage some. In any event the scratches do not take anything away from the build, just treat it as part of the learning curve
apalella
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 66 posts
AeroScale: 22 posts
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2012 - 11:57 PM UTC
Gents,
Thank you for the feedback. I did dip the clear parts in Future before masking them and while Bare Metal Foil provides a nice, thin mask, I think tape is better because of the residue the foil leaves on even future-coated parts. I tried WD-40 but was turned off by it's greasiness, so I then used Goo-Gone. The Goo-Gone did the trick but same thing, left a greasy residue, but that was easily fixed with soap and water.
I do believe the scratches are in the layer of Future, so I think I may try brush painting some over the scratches to soften them.

Thanks,all, and happy modeling!
 _GOTOTOP