_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Question re Roland C.II interior.
WoodshedWings
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 141 posts
AeroScale: 139 posts
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2012 - 05:46 AM UTC
I'm about to embark on a build of the Eduard Roland C.II. The interior is molded to represent the diagonal slatted wooden construction of the fuselage. The kit instructions call out wood colour for this area, but I read somewhere that the interior and exterior were covered in fabric. Could anyone shed any light on this. If the interior was fabric, what colour would it be and would the profile of the wooden construction still show through. Any help much appreciated.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2012 - 06:42 AM UTC
Greetings Mike,

According to Windsock Datafile the wood lathe was reinforced with glued fabric strips during construction. Photo images there show that the half shells of the fuselage were painted the same exterior lt. blue. This seems true for even the 3 camouflaged versions. Other portions that were added like the instrument panels, fuselage formers and flooring could be lt. blue or wood varnished.

The shells were covered in fabric and painted after they had been manufactured. Then they were united on the formers. Much like the Eduard 1/48 kit.

Review

Thread I

Thread II

Thread III
WoodshedWings
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 141 posts
AeroScale: 139 posts
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2012 - 09:26 AM UTC
Thanks Stephen, for the info and the links. I will be reading your build article later. I think I am going to do the interior walls as painted wood and the floor and other bits in natural wood as I have never done a wood finish and quite fancy trying one out.
 _GOTOTOP