_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Call for discussion: MOM rules change?
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 18, 2012 - 10:42 AM UTC
I have received a request to post the scale of the models in the MOM contest. Notwithstanding the need to edit this into the photos given our photo-based contest, I foresee a possible source of bias with posting scale in that I find modellers drawn to their favourite scale, thus tending to neglect models in other scales.

It has always been my intention in running this contest to remove all possible sources of bias, thus the fact that I do not publicise the builders until after the voting is over, nor do I indicate which kit, nor what aftermarket parts may or may not have been used.

My vision of the Model of the Month contest is that it is all about the finished product and how well it's built. I don't see how publishing the scale fits into that, but I don't claim to be infallible, so I open the topic for discussion.

Would you, the entrants and participants, like to see the scale of each entry published on the entry photo? This would require that each entrant must of course make that known to me in the entry submission, but that's merely logistics; I can figure that bit out

What say ye, Aeroscalers?
SgtRam
Staff MemberEditor-at-Large
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
AeroScale: 511 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 18, 2012 - 10:55 AM UTC
Jessica

As an almost regular Aeroscale viewer and almost always month voter, I would vote for NO scale information. I like the format as it is, letting the model speak for itself as part of the competition. I have seen talented modelers make a 1/72 scale aircraft the same if not better then 1/48 or bigger.

I think people should be voting on what they feel is the best quality model, regardless of the scale.

Kevin
usethermite
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 252 posts
AeroScale: 209 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 18, 2012 - 11:22 AM UTC
Jessica: I vote "no". I think the way you have it now is just fine. Don't fix something that isn't broken.
Happy Gluing, JT
Nito74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,386 posts
AeroScale: 635 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 18, 2012 - 11:48 AM UTC
I agree.
I vote "no" too.
GhostHawk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Cordoba, Argentina
KitMaker: 268 posts
AeroScale: 264 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 18, 2012 - 01:57 PM UTC
Hi,

Yes, I likes the MOM in the present format...!

"If looks O.K., must fly O.K." or something like that in English, you got the idea...

The last November MOM was really cool..! With many models in many diferents scales and from diferent materials, and all nice models...

Thanks
tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,507 posts
AeroScale: 1,814 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 18, 2012 - 02:47 PM UTC
I vote not to have kit make or scale noted.
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 18, 2012 - 05:09 PM UTC
I add my vote to the negatory. To me scale is irrelevant, but as stated can result in bias. Let the photos speak for themselves, and then reveal the kit details after the voting has finished.

Cheers, D
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 18, 2012 - 06:06 PM UTC
I could go either way. The only benefit of scale noted; speaking as someone who works pretty much in 72 scale, although an occasionally foray into 32 is nice, is that it provides one with some point of reference. I think it is a bit more difficult to paint camoflauge on a 72 scale machine as opposed to something larger. On the other hand, larger scales show errors easier. I think the current format is fine and am therefore somewhat neutral on this question. Russell
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 18, 2012 - 08:48 PM UTC
I build 1/48 aircraft exclusively - my bias would be towards giving more credit to smaller scales and less to larger. if someone can put out a 1/72nd scale aircraft that looks as good as a 1/48, then they get extra credit in my book.
EmperoR
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sofiya, Bulgaria
KitMaker: 67 posts
AeroScale: 61 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 18, 2012 - 08:58 PM UTC
For me as a regular participant and voter scale makes no difference, I either like a model or not... so i vote with NO for that change

All the best
Metodi.
irekfm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Województwo Opolskie, Poland
KitMaker: 53 posts
AeroScale: 27 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 18, 2012 - 11:27 PM UTC
No, of course no! It's contest based on PHOTOS, so in my oppinion, scale is not important.Regards. Irek
wolfpack6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 179 posts
AeroScale: 80 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 19, 2012 - 02:46 AM UTC
Im with everybody else here.
Leave it the way it is.
Bink123
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 414 posts
AeroScale: 364 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 19, 2012 - 07:24 AM UTC
Make it optional.

I don't have a bias for my preferred scale. (1/48). I choose a model based on the Visual impact. Models are models, not the real thing, they are only a representation. No model kit is perfect, and especially in the case of WW1 subjects there is often disagreement on camouflage and markings.

Naseby
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Slovakia
KitMaker: 825 posts
AeroScale: 476 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 19, 2012 - 10:31 AM UTC
Hello dear forum members. It seems im hopelesly outvoted but I do thank You Jessica for opening this discussion. The reason I wanted to include the scale was very simple. Scale gives perspective. Without perspective our judgment will always favour the bigger scales. People who built 1/72 will ofcourse still compete, but they will be in disadvantage mostly to 1/48 because the difference between these two is not so easy to tell from the pictures. And the same is also for 1/48 and 1/32. Thank You all for the opinions and Im looking forward to the all the future MOM entries.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 19, 2012 - 11:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello dear forum members. It seems im hopelesly outvoted but I do thank You Jessica for opening this discussion. The reason I wanted to include the scale was very simple. Scale gives perspective. Without perspective our judgment will always favour the bigger scales. People who built 1/72 will ofcourse still compete, but they will be in disadvantage mostly to 1/48 because the difference between these two is not so easy to tell from the pictures. And the same is also for 1/48 and 1/32. Thank You all for the opinions and Im looking forward to the all the future MOM entries.

I've been very careful to edit and crop the pictures in such a was as to avoid any indications of what the scale of the original model is. That's one more reason for the rule requiring a blank background. The whole idea is to display the model, not which kit it was, what scale or manufacturer. This is a competition on building and finishing your model convincingly. To date, we've had winners from 1/144 right up to 1/32 so I can't say conclusively that a smaller scale is a disadvantage.
05Sultan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,870 posts
AeroScale: 258 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 19, 2012 - 11:47 AM UTC
Scale? SCALE??!! We don't need no steenking scale!
'course you enter an 'egg plane' at your own risk.......
Seriously,no scale mention needed for judging and enjoyment.
Cheers!
mrockhill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 566 posts
AeroScale: 507 posts
Posted: Monday, December 24, 2012 - 05:14 PM UTC
I have to say I wouldnt mind seeing the scale for a point of reference. If there is a kit so well done as to be mistaken for a larger scale, I personally like to recognize that but its not thee deciding factor. Its not a big deal as when Im stuck on a vote I look for posts, build logs and galleries on the forum to give me some insight on the builds
gaborka
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Borsod-Abauj-Zemblen, Hungary
KitMaker: 626 posts
AeroScale: 264 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 25, 2012 - 12:01 AM UTC
The MoM contest is perfect as it is. The rules are known and set, and if you like them you enter and vote and if not, you do not do any of this. Also it is actually a photo contest and there is not much sense to pointing out details you do not see anyway in reality.

On the other hand an eager modeler might start a contest where scale, detail and work makes a difference, for example with information on scale, brand, aftermarket additions, scratchbuild and kitbashing and people could vote in knowledge of this. So other people would be satisfied too (in the spirit of Christmas)

Ruffus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Guatemala
KitMaker: 343 posts
AeroScale: 111 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 25, 2012 - 06:23 AM UTC
For me, No Scale. if it isn“t broken, don“t fix it.

Regards

Byron
 _GOTOTOP