_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
WNW Hannover CL.II Kornbeef's attempt.
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 17, 2013 - 08:44 AM UTC
Well all,

Ive been quiet, got my hands on a D.VII before xmas and found quite a few things I need to work on, Xmas came a D.VII (OAW) and Hannie under the tree for me. I'm saving the D.VII for the KotS III group build here on Aeroscale. will be Taurusing the engine compartment to the max. . . groans in AMS anticipation

I was going to save the Hannie but. . . welll. . . you know me.

As always I've veered way off the instructions. So without any more ado here's my bash so far.

[img width=450 height=600]http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d190/kornbeef/hANNIE/HAN5.jpg[/img]

Inside I cut the fuel gauge away from the tank, added some clesr discs to instruments along with new bezels to add a little depth.

Adding fuel control levers out of cut down wingnuts as opposed to etch, I also added the pulley cable for what I presume to be the sliding panel under the rear floor & the rod for the generator clutch mechanism on the right side of the cockpits. Also I shaved of the moulded on sticks on the rear panel and replaced with copper wire supports for the folding seat cushion and added a nice little map table, how cosy? I decided after looking at the wrecked Hannie pics on WNW's site to not go too dark on the interior sides.

Now the oft discussed matte of the WNW lozengs (hand/sprayed/painted. . . their colours are nothing like Ronnie Barr's lovely profiles so I decided to spray my own, it worked to a reasonable degree. I got a bit carried away though and over lozenged the fuselage, still most will be overpainted but I want that *show through* in places effect.

The only real foul up was the blue on the underside loz, way too dark I think, still once oversprayed weathered and faded... who'll see it?

I'm planning on Profile B and going for *Red 5* resisting all starwars references... ops. except for that one.

Thats all for now folks. All comments welcome as always

Keith
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 17, 2013 - 09:45 AM UTC
How do you know Ronnie's drawings are correct? What if the printing of the drawing, or your monitor colours are not correct? Being devil's advocate here.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 17, 2013 - 10:01 AM UTC
Hi Keith

Lovely job! How did you mask the lozenges - a commercial set or hand-done?

All the best

Rowan
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, January 17, 2013 - 11:23 AM UTC
Warren,

Ronnies profiles are often more accurate than WNW's kits in both detail and colours. He often shows the little extra details WNW omits from the kitset. (the profile is on the WNW handbook not the web BTW) *Profile B*
The colours of the underside decals look rather unplausible to me, that plus trying to mix colours to match what WNW supplied *which didnt match that profile anyways..... meant redoing the whole thing was a better option.

Rowan, Yes I masked it by hand, sprayed the dark yellow and masked it then the green masked it and so on, all in Citadel paints with a thin Purity seal (satin laquer between to stop any lifting.

K
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 17, 2013 - 08:32 PM UTC
Now this is something – green with envy that you have your Hannover and not me...

Very nice job on the lozenge – how did you achive the masks?

Oh and red 5, or the very handsome Bavarian shield will be my choice, once I get to it.

Sounds like we may have a D.VII engine compartment duel in the KotS

Mikael the copycat
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,058 posts
AeroScale: 1,004 posts
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2013 - 05:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Now this is something – green with envy that you have your Hannover and not me...

Very nice job on the lozenge – how did you achive the masks?

Oh and red 5, or the very handsome Bavarian shield will be my choice, once I get to it.

Mikael the copycat

Yep, still no Hannover in my mailbox, but I'm very interested to our build. How did you do the mask for the Lozenge?
LarsaQ
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 03:28 AM UTC
Hello Keith:

Now look what you've started here? Your lozenge has really attracted attention and rightly so. It looks great. I would like to try this on the unpainted version using the colors in the Ronnie Barr profile.
Looking forward to more.

Best

Mark
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 07:51 AM UTC
Greetings Keith,

Fine work thus far. Most impressive job on the masking.
Dwaynewilly
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 365 posts
AeroScale: 344 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 12:34 PM UTC
Keith,

Excellent job so far. The interior looks great and I really like the results you achieved on the lozenge. Excellent!

Dwayne
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2013 - 12:29 AM UTC
Minor update.
I havent spent much time on her recently. Got everything lozenge up and was waiting for it to really dry off before fading.

So I started the KOTS III D.VII in the meantime.

Anyway progress pics so far.

Quite a lot of ridging showed through from my fuselage loz attempt even though before overspraying it felt pretty smooth. Also the colours are really white different to the WNW loz I'm hoping fading and overspraying will tone the differences a bit. Other than that I'm relatively happy with the result so far, fit wise everything seems pretty good.

Keith
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2013 - 11:44 PM UTC
Really nice progress Keith – I like what you've achieved so far. Hmmm ridging, I guess that is almost inevitable with all the masking involved?

Look forward to the next step.

Mikael
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2013 - 01:25 AM UTC
Something backwards here. . .

Ok, thats better.
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2013 - 03:23 AM UTC
yes dont ask why, I seem to be having something of a battle with photoshop recently. I use Irfanview to edit my pics pre-upload, I probably hit the shortcut to flip without even realising.

K
 _GOTOTOP