Shanghaied
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Schleswig-Holstein, Germany
KitMaker: 189 posts
AeroScale: 82 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2013 - 06:23 PM UTC
Thanks Shawn!

Thanks Andreas:! I only have a Hasegawa BF-109G and the Promodeller Me-410
Did not check the 109 yet, but the Promodeller prop blades are longer and the spinner is more pointed and longer.

Does anybody know of an existing aftermarket kit with a better prop (and spinner)? I have not enough information to say if the same prop was used in another plane.

Greetings from Shanghai
Shanghaied
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, March 03, 2013 - 06:37 PM UTC
Next installation of the BK5. Instructions say to mount it on the floor panel, but when you leave the weapons bay open you have to find another way.
The original was hanging in the bomb cradle with some support beams. So I added some thin wire and drilled some holes in the in the top of the weapons bay, roughly in the places as the original and fixed the gun with superglue.
There are pictures in the net showing the installation from the original German manual

The decals are nice, but very sensitive to decal softener I had a little problem with the spinner spirals.

Last thing to install was the canopy hatches and antenna wires.The antenna is made of hair and insulators are tiny small wirecoils

I m sure I will find some small things to fix or improve but otherwise it is finished

Overall it is was a nice build.
I would not regard it as for absolute beginners due to the difficulties to get the fuselage cockpit and canopy mated in the nosesection.

My personal pros and cons:

Pros:

-real nice moulding ( I now like the deeper panel lines, they get not so easy sanded away)
-very clear canopy
-cockpit
-weapons bay
-engines
-instructions (though I not like the sequence)

Cons:

-Fiddly cockpit installation in the nose
-Canopy installation more difficult due to separate top -panels
-Gear legs more simplified than in the older kit
-I do not like the shape and size of the props and spinners ( hello aftermarket )

The Meng-kit is really good and I would buy it again. But I will not throw away my Promodeller for it is not bad either. Anybody a nice idea for a conversion into a special Me-410?

I really hope Meng will bring out a different version (Maybe a more colorful Hungarian Me-210 with a different wing and nacelles )

Greetings from Shanghai
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 03, 2013 - 09:10 PM UTC
Hi Tom

Beautiful work! The finished build looks fantastic!

I'm planning to take a week off work soon, so I can get my modelling room straight and finally book myself some quality time at the workbench - but I'll be lucky if my '410 looks as good as yours!

All the best

Rowan
Shanghaied
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2013 - 05:55 PM UTC
Thanks Rowan! Fortunately the pics are not showing the many mistakes I made.
When you build it, be careful of the fit of the nose and the canopy!

Good Luck!
 _GOTOTOP