_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
WNW Hannover CL.II The MGunns Version
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 04:35 AM UTC
Greetings Folks:

Like Kornbeef, I got this for Christmas and have made considerable progress, albeit I took a different route than Keith.

The obligatory box:

This is the version I decided on doing.

Now, to get to that version one needs to lozenge the fuselage. For me, the solution lie in the old Aurora Releases of the 1970's. I had a couple and used the Lozenge pattern that Aurora included for tracing purposes, enlarged it by about 180% due to the large size on the fuselage and traced it.

I then adjusted the color to try and match the Ronnie Barr painting and painted the lozenge hexagons by hand; with this being the end result.

It is a little rough, but; I figured that the original was hand painted and had to be a little rough as well, as evidenced by the photo of the actual aircraft that WNW provides.

I proceeded with the interior apace and found no real issues there. I wasn't happy with the results of my wood grain, it is too heavy, I need to adjust my methods and thinking.

The interior goes together well. I rigged the control lines per the instructions but once buttoned up, they are almost invisible.

The engine is pretty straightforward as well. I didn't spend any time weathering it as it is pretty much covered by the cowlings. I did make push rods out of wire, and I did wire the Spark plugs. I dry brushed Tesotrs Silver PLA enamel to bring out the valve spring and rocker arm detail, which is very nice.

I hollowed out the ends of the exhaust stacks, painted them white and dry brushed with Testors Silver to give it a bit of used a look to it.
I then buttoned up the fuselage, fixed the cowlings, which requred some care and trimming, masked, painted and decaled.

The lozenge is faintly visible which is the look I wanted.
I painted the underside of the fuselage a different shade.

The upper wing center section recieved a different treatment. As it was not going to be oversprayed, I used the patterns as a template for each color to good effect.
The upper portion:

And the underside:

I am now in the process of finishing this up. I painted lozenge on the Interplane and cabane struts. I painted the landing gear struts lozenge as well and it is quite an impressive looking thing. Not being afflicted with AMS, it is pretty much an OOB build. I am using Bob's Buckles eyelets and turnbuckles with "invisible thread" for rigging.
Stay tuned for more.

Best

Mark
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 04:54 AM UTC
Looking good Mark. Now, what is this about Mr Gotha?
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 06:26 AM UTC
Another green with envy moment.

This is looking mighty fine Mark, love the see through Lozenge, this would be the look I'd go for as well. Looking at yours and Kornbeefs fine results, I think I'm going to have to go down the line of painting Loz on the fuselage. Your tracing method looks really interesting...

Now, should I build the Hannover or the Fokker for the KotS? Pleasant choices

My Best Regards, look forward to more!

Mikael
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 07:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This is looking mighty fine Mark, love the see through Lozenge, this would be the look I'd go for as well. Looking at yours and Kornbeefs fine results, I think I'm going to have to go down the line of painting Loz on the fuselage. Your tracing method looks really interesting...

Mikael

Hello Mikael and thanks for the kind words. You know, I have read that the D.VII is kind of a stinker for fit in some areas. This Hannover really has no fit problems, other than the cowling areas, and that could have been my own doing. For a two seater, the cockpit is very basic, unles afflicted with AMS. Tough decision Mikael. I am still knee deep in quandry as to what I am going to do. I will think of something.
Thanks again.

Best

Mark
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 07:39 AM UTC
Nicely done thus far Mark! I like The effect you are getting.
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 08:53 AM UTC
Hello Stephen:

Thanks for the compliment. I am pretty satsified with it and am looking forward to the whole machine. I did overspray the rear decal a bit to blend it in better than the photo. That is raw footage there.

Stay tuned for more modeling excitement as it happens.

Best

Mark
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 10:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Mikael

Hello Mikael and thanks for the kind words. You know, I have read that the D-VII is kind of a stinker for fit in some areas. This Hannover really has no fit problems, other than the cowling areas, and that could have been my own doing. For a two seater, the cockpit is very basic, unles afflicted with AMS. Tough decision Mikael. I am still knee deep in quandry as to what I am going to do. I will think of something.
Thanks again.

Best

Mark

Me thinks the tall-poppy syndrome is cutting in with WNW now. I found no fit problems at all with my D.VII.
Cheers
Warren
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 11:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

". . .Me thinks the tall-poppy syndrome is cutting in with WNW now. I found no fit problems at all with my D.VII.
Cheers
Warren "

???
Dwaynewilly
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 365 posts
AeroScale: 344 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 12:27 PM UTC
Mark,

Outstanding job so far, especially that hand painted lozenge and the over spray. Really top shelf work!

Dwayne
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 11:46 AM UTC
Looking sweet Mark, interesting to see different approaches to the old Lozenge issues

I've started decalling my tail etc and am surprised by how bright the decal loz looks against my sprayed attempt, I expect some toning in will make it closer, Ronnie's rendition of loz which I followed is much subtler than the decals.. which I never thought of checking..lol

I may be wrong but WNW seem to have got the airleron decals swapped over, the top has the gaps for the arm and cable point, the underside doesnt. Not a difficult fix given the spare lozenge ribtape included.

On the D.VII issues long poppies... I've no idea what that infers to. Somehow such comments seem sharp, I may be mistaken and if I am forgive me.
I had a few issues with my first D.VII & was rather dissapointed in a few things WNW did that I'd expected more of them like having to bodge the fuselage parts together instead of supplying early and late fuselage halves. I dropped mine onto the bench after painting and that seam popped open. Now if we can't voice our opinions openly how can we call it a forum?

Sorry for ranting on your blog Mark.

Keith
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 12:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

". . .On the D.VII issues long poppies... I've no idea what that infers to. Somehow such comments seem sharp, I may be mistaken and if I am forgive me.

I had a few issues with my first D.VII & was rather dissapointed in a few things WNW did that I'd expected more of them like having to bodge the fuselage parts together instead of supplying early and late fuselage halves. I dropped mine onto the bench after painting and that seam popped open. Now if we can't voice our opinions openly how can we call it a forum? Sorry for ranting on your blog Mark.
Keith

I was reminded recently (on another forum) that they did not have a free forum and only people that contributed monetarily could truely have an opinion that would be tolerated. The moderator advised that their forum was not ours here. Keith, feel free to discuss your opinions here. You always have, whether its one model company or another. Whether its my opinion or somebody elses, you have always attempted to be honest. Also please feel free to post in any of the Fokker D.VII reviews threads. I encourage anyone who has these kits to speak up and have a voice here.
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 01:18 PM UTC
Greetings:

Thanks Dwayne, Warren, Keith and Stephen. I too enjoy the freedom of speech and the fact that we can voice an opinion either contrary or pro. I have yet to crack open my D.VII but thanks to those that have paved the way, will be watching what the foibles are and be careful in those areas. Meanwhile, the Hannover is getting more attention and moves towards completion. Keith: IIRC on the WNW web site they do mention that there was a mix up with the decal printer and that the aileron decals were mis printed. Like you, a little extra decal and some careful painting, and all is well.
Best

Mark
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2013 - 07:18 AM UTC
Okay Folks:

Mr. Hannover is now complete. I used EZ line fine line with Bob's Buckles Eyelets and tubing for attaching the rigging. The model went together well. I had some issues attaching the upper wing with the center section, but managed, with perseverance aforethought to finally accomplish the task and complete the build. So without further ado.

I hand painted the lozenge on the struts and landing gear trying match Ronnie Barr's rendering in the instruction booklet.
Thanks for stopping by

Best

Mark
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,058 posts
AeroScale: 1,004 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2013 - 07:46 AM UTC
Awesome build there Mark ánd I´m stunned of how fast you pulled it off. Great work

LarsaQ
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2013 - 08:58 AM UTC
Nicely done Mark!
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2013 - 12:24 PM UTC
Speed building.... lovely work too I'm still winglss and contemplating retouching some of my loz colours as they are far off WNWs which I didnt realise was as bright as it is. Ho hum

Keith.
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,121 posts
AeroScale: 1,063 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2013 - 01:58 PM UTC

Very nice build Mark!

Mark
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2013 - 03:50 PM UTC

Thanks Stephen and Mark: Overall it went together pretty good. A few fights but overall a good build.

Keith: I wouldn't worry too much about the lozenge if you are going to paint over it. It ends up noticeable, colors sort of fade into the blue. You could spend a lot of time on it getting it "right", but when you overspray the blue, it tones it all down.

Looking forward to seeing how you do it.

Best

Mark
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2013 - 07:56 PM UTC
Wow, that was a fast build Mark – lovely work too! You,ve certainly captured the look really well.

Best Regards

Mikael
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2013 - 04:28 AM UTC
Hello Mikael:

Thanks for the kind words. Not quite a month in the making. I started on 2 January. A nice build, would recommend.

Best

mark
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2013 - 12:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello Mikael:

Thanks for the kind words. Not quite a month in the making. I started on 2 January. A nice build, would recommend.

Best

mark

Mine arrived at my doorstep today Watch this space

All the best Mikael
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2013 - 02:25 AM UTC
Hello Mikael:

I will be watching this space. It will be interesting to see how you do the lozenge if you decide to any version other than the light blue trainer version.

Best

Mark
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2013 - 10:37 AM UTC
It looks fantastic. You really did a good job on this one. Sorry to hear the Gotha went bely up though.
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2013 - 12:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It looks fantastic. You really did a good job on this one. Sorry to hear the Gotha went bely up though.

Hello Carl:

Thanks for the comment. Yes, it was a frustrating moment when it fell off the shelf. It was practically finished!!! Oh well, I will do another one. I have the Gotha Sheet from Rowan and will do one of those. Looking forward to seeing yours in the GB.

Take care

Best

Mark
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2013 - 03:03 AM UTC
O my Gotha – what a disaster Mark, really sorry to read this news, hopa you can do a re-take with a new kit!

Mikael
 _GOTOTOP