_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
KotS III GB Mystery Ship
Mcleod
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,028 posts
AeroScale: 939 posts
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2013 - 04:19 PM UTC
In 1928 Wichita, Kansas, the Travel Air Company began the design/construction of an aircraft project so shrouded in protective secrecy, that the craft became known as the 'Mystery Ship'.
Rolled out for the 1929 Thompson Cup Race, this little, low wing racer won the prestigeous event with an average speed of 194mph. The best aircraft entered in the race by the military were up to 30mph slower than that. This marked the first time a cilvilian aircraft bested a military entry.
The Mystery Ship was an entirely plywood covered aircraft, with steel tube fuselage construction, and wing formers in wood. It packed a Wright R-975 Radial engine putting out 400hp.

Historical Photos:

Kit Entry and Date Stamp:

Hmmm! I just noticed this copyrite molded under the wing tonight. Tried highlighting it so you can read properly:

No wonder there's zero for cockpit detail. I'll have to work something out to fix that. Might come up with some idea .
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2013 - 05:58 PM UTC
If you put the pilot head in there mate you won't be able to see any of the cockpit anyway. Problem solved!
bzak
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 264 posts
AeroScale: 87 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2013 - 04:50 AM UTC
Howdy,

One of my favorite kits. The engine puts to shame some of the modern day kits out now.

Brian Riedel
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2013 - 05:37 AM UTC
Welcome to the GB!
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2013 - 08:39 PM UTC
Beautiful plane!

Mikael
Mcleod
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2013 - 12:56 PM UTC
Thanks for the comments, folks.

Nothings quite finished. I still want to add switches to the instrument panel. Also, the pilot needs a quick swim in future followed by some wash.

Just would like to show I've started on the project. Waiting for paint to dry, so thought I'd photo and post.
Mcleod
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2013 - 12:58 AM UTC
It is a small tragety that all my instrument bezel rings popped off while trying to fit everything in for closeup.

Since this photo, I have secured the wings in place. Everything fits tight enough.

I admit, that I'm not having much fun with this one, and feel as though I'm doing a second rate job. A realization that the fine line and swirling paint work will have to be masked torments me. Also, this is the first time I've used a kit pilot to hide the fact there is no interior. I don't like that much. I'm playing with letting my grandson have this one, and doing a Bristol Scout instead.
 _GOTOTOP