_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Campaign Proposal: Worst Kit I've Ever Built
amegan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 996 posts
AeroScale: 915 posts
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2013 - 09:27 PM UTC
Being already part way through one of these dogs (see the Record Breakers campaign) my personal attitude is that the kit is not good enough to spend a lot of my valuable modelling time on, but I would still like to produce something that looks ok externally, because I want to display all three of these together. I think the campaign might have some value in showing how experienced modellers deal with these common flaws to produce a viewable model. that is fun and quick to build. A very short build time, maybe one or two weeks, should ensure the minimum level of sophistication. Either way, I'd do it.
tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,507 posts
AeroScale: 1,814 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 - 12:05 AM UTC
Short build time would be good, 4-6 weeks?
gaborka
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Borsod-Abauj-Zemblen, Hungary
KitMaker: 626 posts
AeroScale: 264 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 - 12:11 AM UTC
Would the Doyusha kit Cessna O2A comply with the rules? If yes I would join. This kit:

http://design.mfpilot.com/images/AriiCessnaO2A.jpg

pbaudru
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Belgium
KitMaker: 31 posts
AeroScale: 31 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 - 01:40 AM UTC
Hi,

Not sure to have time to join you guys but I would have a candidate too:

Cheers Pierre.
North4003
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 960 posts
AeroScale: 391 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 - 06:27 AM UTC
I believe we have more than ten interested in the campaign with the revised rules.
Brent
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 - 08:42 AM UTC
I like the original rules. Not everyone has AMS. The proposer did not say anything about not building the kit you choose to a high standard, just building OOB. If it gets off the ground I will build, sorry wrestle into submission, and ICM TB-3.. gulp.
I don't see why it can't be an official campaign but I have not read the rules on campaigns. Maybe the rules need amending to attract the non-AMS modellers out there and allow them a ribbon or four.
I think yours is a great idea Grenadier.
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,045 posts
AeroScale: 622 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 - 09:37 AM UTC
Warren have you read exactly what the amendments to the rules asked for are. All we asked is for the kit to be painted as original rules said does not need to be painted to be classed as finished but just decaled.

Im sorry but I hardly think painting the model counts as AMS really do you????

Did mention about maybe letting airbrushes being used as not everyone brush paints and this may get a few more people interested, but as said this is up to campaign leader/ prosper. This was just an idea.

Also having 'sloppiness is good' how is that showing you should be building to a good standard or your normal standard if this is one of the rule/ guidelines doesn't really add to the campaign and don't think it needs to be in there. We asked for this to be removed.

As far as campaign approval goes it has always been down to the admins whether or not to allow the campaigns to run depending if they feel it is suitable to run them on Aeroscale. If admin are not happy with the rules and can not compromise with the campaign leader we do not have to make the campaigns official. Normally the rules have had one or two tweaks and they have all been approved.

And for the last time we are happy and thrilled to have an OOB campaign (like the recent Airfix and Matchbox campaigns which were great fun) just want the kits to be painted and get rid of the sloppiness bit on the rules how on earth is that bending to the AMS.

So all we have asked to be changed for it to be an official campaign is to have the sloppiness is good removed completely from the rules and kits need to be painted if leader only wants to allow brush painted models that is fine.
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 - 11:16 AM UTC
I think we all need to take a breath and calm down a little. I don't think arguing about the interpretation of the rules is going to attract many people to the campaign.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 - 11:24 AM UTC
Hi Warren

I have to say, I prefer the revised rules - and I don't understand how they trigger any notion of "AMS" creeping in.

I think Jessie has nailed it nicely with her mention of "slammers". I don't build car kits, but the idea of a quick, neat build, with no aftermarket extras, but doing the best you can, is very appealing.

I don't like the notion of building deliberately sloppily - that risks turning the theme from "The Worst Kit You've Ever Built" to "The Worst You've Ever Built A Kit". I can't see how that would encourage or inspire anyone.

But, more than anything - going back to Grenadier's idea of "Plastic model kit + glue + paint + you = FUN"... can we all agree to stop arguing! There's no right or wrong way to build a kit - and that's the joy of our hobby. The expanded, or loosened, rules allow scope for more people to do precisely what Grenadier is encouraging - i.e. have FUN.

But, purely on a technical point on the rules... what should we do if the original decals are unusable - i.e. totally trashed or missing (not that we just don't like them)? Would best approximates in the spirit of the originals suffice?

All the best

Rowan
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 - 03:47 PM UTC
I don't think that not painting a model is a deadly sin like many of you seem too. If someone doesn't want to paint their model well that is up to them and shouldn't preclude them from a campaign. I read the rules and it says that a model does not necessarily have to be painted to be considered complete. It didn't say you were not allowed to paint the model.
I agree with the airbrush part though. Brush painting just doesn't do it for me as it is too slow and the finish normally not very good. I have tried brush painting every which way and it always comes out looking pretty rubbishy with acrylics. The last kit I brush painted was the Junkers two seater from WNW and I used Humbrol enamel and it came out well... But I don't like enamels due to their toxicity.
Anyway, I was not jumpimg down anyone's throat just supporting the Campaign proposer. As stephen said everyone needs to take a chill pill.
North4003
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 - 12:49 PM UTC
The interest is here to do this Sows Ear to Silk Purse campaign. We haven't heard back from G37. Could we proceed with the revised rules?

RedwingNev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 911 posts
AeroScale: 415 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 - 05:46 AM UTC
On a related note, there is a Jurassic Plastic campaign running over on Armorama right now - aircraft are eligable for those interested.
North4003
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, March 02, 2013 - 01:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

On a related note, there is a Jurassic Plastic campaign running over on Armorama right now - aircraft are eligable for those interested.

Neil,
Thank you for the reminder of the Jurassic Plastic campaign.
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2013 - 02:31 PM UTC
Here's a great candidate for a bad kit. The box sez 1973 Entex Industries, Inc Carson, California, Made in Japan. The instruction sheet sez to decal and paint your UPC model according to the picture on the box cover.

Ah, a little research shows it's a cousin (without the motorized engine) of an Aosima/Aoshima kits of years ago. Could be a good example of a bad example...
 _GOTOTOP