_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
KotS III GB Sopwith Pup RNAS
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 03, 2013 - 01:05 PM UTC
I should NOT be doing this, I have other campaigns I should be working on. But I kinda liked the way the Albatros came together and this here Pup keeps giving me the eye:

So, I'm hoping my lack of resolve will hold out long enough to finish this one too. We'll see.

Going to be Flt Cdr Fall's of 3N Sqn. I can't find any period photos so have to trust WNW and Norman Franks/Harry Dempsey on this one.

Michael
kmmodels
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 6 posts
AeroScale: 4 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 05, 2013 - 04:52 PM UTC
Just got the Albatros myself. Very impressed with the Wingnut Wings models. Can`t wait to start. This will be my first 1/32, after building 1/72nds this should be fun.
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 06, 2013 - 02:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just got the Albatros myself. Very impressed with the Wingnut Wings models. Can`t wait to start. This will be my first 1/32, after building 1/72nds this should be fun.

It IS fun! The one major thing I've found is that the kits are very tightly engineered. Even a coat of paint can interfere with clean joints, so be careful and test fit a lot! They're fantastic kits, but require concentration.

Michael
kmmodels
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 6 posts
AeroScale: 4 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 06, 2013 - 04:29 PM UTC
Thanks...need to order a lot of the paint first. Looks like I`ll need a lot...
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 06, 2013 - 08:21 PM UTC
The pup is a really sweet little kit, I had great fun building it myself Look forward to seeing your take on it!

Mikael
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 20, 2013 - 12:58 PM UTC
OK, so I have an interesting issue with the Pup. I painted it with PC10 this weekend and, due to low air pressure and too thin paint, came up with a finish that looks like this:

My question is: Do I fix it or leave it looking like this? It's kind of an interesting weathered effect, but I'm not sure how appropriate it is for a WWI fighter. I'm soliciting comments here, so let me know what you think.

Michael
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 20, 2013 - 02:24 PM UTC
Interesting finish. The upper surfaces were painted and that could easily effected by operational conditions and repairs. Me, I would highlight the wing ribs slightly in a lighter green. Try it with scrap plastic first.
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2013 - 07:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Interesting finish. The upper surfaces were painted and that could easily effected by operational conditions and repairs. Me, I would highlight the wing ribs slightly in a lighter green. Try it with scrap plastic first.

I second that – I find the effect quite plausible for a machine with a bit of service history!

Mikael
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2013 - 07:38 AM UTC
Well, I chickened out and put some more PC10 on there before gloss coating. The effect is still there but muted. And now I have some decals on:

Interestingly, the name Betty is in slanted letters on the decal sheet and includes the prefix HMA. Both the artwork on the box top and in the instruction sheet show straight letters and the box art doesn't show HMA. Hmmm... In any event I just can't say enough good things about these WNW kits, they really are fantastic!

Michael
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 26, 2013 - 10:45 AM UTC
Hah! Just when you'd thought I'd gone off the Pup, a small update:

Tail section: rigged.

Michael
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2013 - 09:33 AM UTC
So, some days you feel like rigging and some days you don't. I guess today I did:

And you know how that goes, once you get going, things just start to fall together:

And suddenly, hey presto, you've got a finished model! The 1/32 Wingnut Wings Sopwith Pup, RNAS, depicting the aeroplane flown by FSLt. J.S.T. Fall, spring 1917.

Seriously, sometimes I think if I had the money I'd get two of everything Wingnut makes and just build their stuff from now on. Well, maybe also Tamiya's 1/32 kits. Anyway, thanks for looking!

Michael
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2013 - 11:57 AM UTC
I see what you mean about the finish. Overall It will look good. You might want to get the red out of the cowling groove. Tolerances being what they are on this kit it may hamper the fit. Just a heads up.
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2013 - 12:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I see what you mean about the finish. Overall It will look good. You might want to get the red out of the cowling groove. Tolerances being what they are on this kit it may hamper the fit. Just a heads up.

Actually the small amount of red paint in groove wasn't the problem, the issue was that the engine just barely fits in there. I had to use super glue on the cowling and sort of jam it on there. The result, unfortunately, is that the engine and prop don't turn. Oh well, I can live with that!

Michael
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2013 - 03:23 AM UTC
Looking good Michael – the WNW Pup is a sweet kit, you've made me think about doing another one... Congratulations on finishing.

Mikael
 _GOTOTOP