_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Trip to London.
SHarjacek
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 977 posts
AeroScale: 263 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 23, 2013 - 09:36 PM UTC
Are there any recommendations on what to visit apart from the RAF museum , Hannants ( Btw heard that they don't have lots of stuff in that shop?) and modelzone in Holborn.

I'll be in kensington so there's more chance I can visit it if it's close.

Kind regards, Sven.
DaveCox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
AeroScale: 272 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 23, 2013 - 09:54 PM UTC
Imperial War Museum would be high on my list...
SHarjacek
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Saturday, March 23, 2013 - 10:12 PM UTC
Thanks, but they're website says that they are not open until July, I'm going today .

ludwig113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
AeroScale: 1,110 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 23, 2013 - 10:30 PM UTC
the imperial War Museum is closed at the moment for a re-furb
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 23, 2013 - 11:28 PM UTC
Hi Sven

I haven't lived in London for several years now, but Hannants always used to have plenty of stuff in their Colindale shop - probably the best selection in London...

Comet Miniatures is worth a visit down on Lavendar Hill (nr. Clapham Junction), especially if you like unusual Sci-Fi/Fantasy stuff. They stock plenty of aircraft stuff too - plus they usually have a lot of second-hand and vintage kits from "loft clear-outs", so you never know what you might find...

If you're going to be staying in Kensington, definitely visit the Science Museum - they have an interesting aircraft and aero-engines collection.

All the best

Rowan
Mecenas
KitMaker: 1,596 posts
AeroScale: 1,275 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 24, 2013 - 12:11 AM UTC
If you'll go to Hannants and get there from the Collindale station there's only few minutes of walk to the RAF Museum Hendon - I've been there three times during my stay in London.
SHarjacek
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Sunday, March 24, 2013 - 12:20 AM UTC
Yep, I'm going to both Hannants and RAF museum for sure, I will be also visiting Foyles bookshop. I'll try to visit other interesting places too.

Kind regards and expect pictures .
amegan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 996 posts
AeroScale: 915 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 24, 2013 - 12:27 AM UTC
It isn't aircraft but the National Maritime Museum and Cutty Sark is worth a visit, HMS Belfast too. If you can get there Duxford is a must, better in many ways than the RAF Museum as many aircraft are airworthy and there is an airfield to fly from. However you need a car to get there
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 24, 2013 - 12:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yep, I'm going to both Hannants and RAF museum for sure, I will be also visiting Foyles bookshop. I'll try to visit other interesting places too.

Kind regards and expect pictures .

Hi again Sven

If you're going to Foyles, be sure to call in at Motor Books too, just off Charing Cross Road a bit further south. They often have stuff that Foyles don't stock.

All the best

Rowan
raypalmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,151 posts
AeroScale: 985 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 24, 2013 - 02:35 AM UTC
Cutty Sark is a fake now... It makes me sad my son won't get to see the real thing.

Science museum is a must. The Schneider Trophy is there, very much a sacred artifact to our sort.

Lie, cheat and steal to get to Duxford my boy. I have to visit Dayton this summer to make sure, but I suspect it's the finest air museum in the world. As a youngster at Duxford I had a Corsair pass over me so low I felt the heat from the exhausts and smelled the hot furious carcinogens.
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
AeroScale: 1,351 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 24, 2013 - 06:06 AM UTC
Sven if you can get there then I do recommend the Chatham Historic Dockyard, a short train ride from London. As a bonus if your still over here at Easter they have a motor and steam show (including Steam Punk) on the Sunday & Monday which includes a small model show (I'll be manning a club display stand both days)
ludwig113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
AeroScale: 1,110 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 24, 2013 - 07:08 AM UTC
theres also the national army museum in chelsea, about 10 mins down the road from kensington.

paul
 _GOTOTOP