_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Possible silly question about airplanes
sixter
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 22 posts
AeroScale: 5 posts
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2013 - 11:53 AM UTC
As the title said...why do some small airplanes that buzz around my neighborhood...small, single engine, Cessna-like planes...real ones, shut off their engines and glide? for several minutes???? Just wondering coz over the past few years, I've seen and heard a bunch of em doing it!? Just kind-of made me wonder. Told ya it was sort of a silly question
raypalmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,151 posts
AeroScale: 985 posts
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2013 - 11:57 AM UTC
I believe that's pilot training. They teach the procedure to re-start the stalled engine.

Not a silly question at all.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2013 - 01:02 PM UTC
The purpose of the propeller is to keep the pilot cool.

Don't believe me, then turn it off and watch him sweat!
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2013 - 02:37 PM UTC
Don't get her started.
sixter
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 22 posts
AeroScale: 5 posts
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2013 - 10:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The purpose of the propeller is to keep the pilot cool.

Don't believe me, then turn it off and watch him sweat!

LOL!!! Good one!! Didn't see that coming!! Thank you for the replies, just tripped me out when they would do that. Heck, ounce in awhile Id get some bad*** military chopper fly by and I'd run out to see it...my wife thinks I'm nuts!! Oh well, thanks again!!
amegan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 996 posts
AeroScale: 915 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 - 12:44 AM UTC
I have only rarely seen an engine shut down deliberately in a light aircraft as there is a serious risk of it not restarting. However, all pilots are taught and practice PFLs or Practise Forced Landings, the engine is shut down to idle and the pilot finds and simulates an approach to a likely field. The engine will be warmed occasionally on the way down to make sure it will pick up when required. Warming is just a short burst of power. The aircraft will usually stop the simulated engine failure at 2 or 300ft and fly away. An engine at idle is almost silent, giving the impression it is off. This is not a silly question, actually I think you were pretty observant. PFLs are actually quite fun and a good test of flying skill.
sweaver
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 759 posts
AeroScale: 184 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 11, 2013 - 04:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

As the title said...why do some small airplanes that buzz around my neighborhood...small, single engine, Cessna-like planes...real ones, shut off their engines and glide? for several minutes???? Just wondering coz over the past few years, I've seen and heard a bunch of em doing it!? Just kind-of made me wonder. Told ya it was sort of a silly question

I know this is an old thread, but it doesn't seem the question was answered.

In flight training in small single engine planes the engine is never shut down. For any reason. Sure, there may be someone who's done it, but it is not standard procedure.

Likely what's happening is they're pulling the throttle to idle and that sounds to those on the ground like the engine has been killed. You'll sometimes hear that: the engine "dies," the plane glides for a little while (usually 10-20 seconds), then suddenly the engine comes back powerfully to life. That is stall practice where the engine is pulled back to idle, the plane is slowed up while maintaining altitude, intentionally stalled, and then recovered with pitch and added power. It's a standard maneuver that must be demonstrated to certain standards for the license checkride.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: I see Andrew addressed practice engine-outs above. The biggest giveaway that you're seeing that is when the plane descends to unusually low altitudes. For example my instructor would make me come all the way down, engine idle, until I was about to start the landing flare, then shove the power forward hold forward stick and get outta there. Fun stuff if you ever get to do it.
 _GOTOTOP