_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Eduard 1:72 Fokker Dr.I dual pack
FAUST
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
AeroScale: 190 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 - 07:59 AM UTC
Ola People

The aircraft bug is kinda sneaking up to me. And even though I haven't bought a single kit I'm doing research on what is a nice starter kit.
Now my eye fell on Eduards 1:72 Fokker DrI.I dual kit. I know it comes with a bunch of PE but I'm used to working with this stuff from my armor kits. And I like the fact that it comes with a lot of decal options to choose from.
But from a friend who builts Aircraft models I heard that the old Eduard kits were not that good. I understand that the weekend edition is a stripped down profikit. Does that suffice or is the PE neccesary to make this kit worthwile.
There is only a 5 euro price difference between the weekend edition and the dual kit so the dual kit seems to be better value for the money.

Any word on this would be greatly appreciated. I'm also interested in people who have built this kit and their thoughts on it.

With friendly greetz

Robert Blokker
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 - 08:10 AM UTC
Here's a build review of the weekend edition kit from right here on Aeroscale

Most weekend kits are such that they don't need the photoetch and masks which come in the Profipack kits; that's just extra nice goodies. The only things which I would call important in etch are the cooling jackets for the guns and the seatbelts, but in 1/72 this is not so important. The only other limitation of the weekend kit is that it comes with only one marking option.
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 - 09:04 AM UTC
Having just gotten Eduards Dual Combi Nieuport 17, I can honestly say that they are very good value for money. Very nicely moulded plastic, a nice set of etched parts that you can replace as much of the plastic with as you want, pre-cut masks which will save a lot of bother, and some nice decals to choose from. I've never heard any bad things about Eduard as far as fit is concerned and they always seemed on the ball with accuracy.
I'd go for it considering the small difference in price. It certainly won't be the last Eduard Combi I will be buying.
Ste
FAUST
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 - 09:10 AM UTC
Hmmmm So many choices in the aircraft model world. What to do, what to do.

Thanks for that built review. Indeed a neat looking kit. And thanks for the additional information.

I think I will start my aircraft adventures with the Dr.I weekend kit and possibly one other aircraft. I found a store here in the Netherlands that has some and they are quite cheap. And when I have built those I can buy the profipack Dr.I dual pack.

FAUST
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 - 09:27 AM UTC
@ Stephen
Thanks for your input as well. The dual packs are indeed full of nice additional details. For the past two days I have been scouring through the Eduard site checking out all the instruction manuals of all the kits I'm interested in. I especially like the decals from the Dr.1 flown by Kempf.

But as I said in my reply to Jessica I think I'm going to start with a Weekend kit of the Dr.I just to practice. Plus I can get them here in Holland. The dual pack I have to order outside my country. But that dual kit is definately going to come to Holland. I love the markings of the crate flown by Kempf
 _GOTOTOP