_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Displaying Your Works 101
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2013 - 02:16 AM UTC

Lets talk for a minute about displays. With the investment of time, effort & money on finishing a kit it begs the question what do you do to highlight & protect these builds? If we evaluate the reason so many kits go unfinished we might be able to say its because we dont have a place to set the kit for inclusion with our overall builds.

As we get into this I would ask for you to show your displays as this may bring up ideas that others have not come to yet.

The lead image is my collection at the Vintage Aero Flying Museum in 2008.

http://www.vafm.org/new_maps.html
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2013 - 07:03 AM UTC
Hi there

Forgive me if I slightly hijack this thread to make an appeal for more of you to submit your finished builds as Features - "virtual displays" if you like.

When I look at the stunning quality of some of the models in the Early Aviation forum that never make the Frontpage, it almost makes me weep - I won't say it's a crime, but it just ain't right!

Remember, only a fraction of the Aeroscale audience visit the forum - so there's a whole world of potential wings and wires converts out there who never even see the stunning work you guys and gals turn out.

Sermon over.

All the best

Rowan
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2013 - 07:37 AM UTC
Let me echo the comments of our Managing Editor. You can submit these through the normal channels and the Assisting Editor that gets your images will walk you through the very short list of items we might need to enhance your works. Check out the past Features at Aeroscale and get your fifteen days of fame!
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2013 - 08:14 AM UTC
Now lets ask ourselves. What do we do with the builds we complete? Maybe and open shelf? Maybe a second hand set of book shelves? Usually we can pick up a display case from a store that has closed. Many years ago when I settled on WWI aviation as my specific area of research I new that I had some enemies.

Dust, possible damage from the self being bumped, My own compulsion to build more than a few kits. I had focused on 1:72 scale for so long and was having to deal with middle age and my less than perfect eye sight was changing for the worse. Focusing became the issue. The immediate answer was a high powered optivisor. I had built literally hundreds of 1:72 scale kits and at that time new companies were putting out better kits in 1:48.

What was worse I knew there were several moves that were to be made in my future so I could climb my professional ladder. During these moves I needed to protect the builds from damage. I decided on self contained plexi-type boxes that would come in a bottom plate and a 5 piece upper cover.

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2013 - 11:29 PM UTC

Displays are simply how you chose to feature your build. I usually spend so much time on a build that I want to give it some longevity. Here is another shot of Fok. Dr.I 152/17 in storage. This could represent the condition of the airframe during the last months of the war and post war. When viewd from the front panel (where the build nameplate is located) it gives you the impression of a 3D image. As if you could see it standing its lonely vigil until it was assembled and brought out for display in the Berlin Flugzeughaus. It could be seen as a diorama as it tells a story, yet no figures are present.

Usually I can fit any single seat WWI aircraft into a case with the inside measurements of:

2.5" X 8" X 6".
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2013 - 11:39 PM UTC
For contrast, here is 425/17 in mid-April 1918 just after being given its recent cross alterations and final coat of red. This figure is from a company that is OOP. The Dr.I is is a modified DML / Dragon kit with some resin bits from the "old" Rosemont hobbies.

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2013 - 11:55 PM UTC
Though it seems simple have kits displayed like this it makes for an effective impression. Now dioramas have been thoroughly discussed here in the past. My focus will be to use the topics I share here to catch the viewer's attention.

Now IPMS seems to flucuate on whether they will or will not judge a build if its under a cover. But they have allowed builds affixed to bases for years. One of the advantages to the cases I use is that the base plate has a dado-ed edge. It is cut so that the cover rests over the outside edges and can be spot glued on the corners to attach more permanently at your convenience. The base plate is thicker and comes as it does from the stock sheet of plexi. That means it still has the gummed paper sheet protecting its facings. More on that later.

My boxes are made to order from Bill's Boxes in Kiowa Colorado. Bill has advertised in Finescale Modeler in the past so you might be familiar with him.

Bill's Boxes
Custom Acrylic Display Cases
39420 Olson Ct.
Kiowa CO.
303-621-2960
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 03:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi there

Forgive me if I slightly hijack this thread to make an appeal for more of you to submit your finished builds as Features - "virtual displays" if you like.

When I look at the stunning quality of some of the models in the Early Aviation forum that never make the Frontpage, it almost makes me weep - I won't say it's a crime, but it just ain't right!

Remember, only a fraction of the Aeroscale audience visit the forum - so there's a whole world of potential wings and wires converts out there who never even see the stunning work you guys and gals turn out.

Sermon over.

All the best

Rowan

Please allow me to hijack yuor hijack of this tread:

Entering features for displaying models seems a bit cumbersome and if we all would do that, staff would have a lot of work.

Why not allow us to enter picturs on a particular model in our personal gallery and flag them as "virtual displays"?

After a quality check, staff could accept the displays and make them available under photo features by ticking a "quality sufficient" button. Only problem that I see is that our gallerys are fairly tiny

shuber57
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 22 posts
AeroScale: 10 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 03:11 AM UTC
I really like the idea of a virtual display. I loose interest in the subject usually once I have built it and typically sell it so that someone else hopefully can enjoy it. I am retaining a photo library of my builds instead.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 04:25 AM UTC
With Cloud, Flicker and Photobucket you can have an extensive free photo Gallery.

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 04:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Please allow me to hijack yuor hijack of this tread:

Entering features for displaying models seems a bit cumbersome and if we all would do that, staff would have a lot of work.

Why not allow us to enter picturs on a particular model in our personal gallery and flag them as "virtual displays" . . .

Each member's personal Gallery does not show up on the front page hence the need for Features. The other issue if you want a larger Gallery talk to Mr. Starkweather about it. If you offer a payment maybe it could be a start.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 04:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I really like the idea of a virtual display. I loose interest in the subject usually once I have built it and typically sell it so that someone else hopefully can enjoy it. I am retaining a photo library of my builds instead.

Porfolios are a great method for you to catalog your builds. I have done 6 or 7 here myself.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 04:47 AM UTC
When I place an order with Bill's Boxes it ussually arrives thusly.

Each case (top cover & bottom plate) comes wrapped in cellophane.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 08:21 AM UTC
First I cut the cellophane wrap at the separation of the base & cover. Peel it and the paper covering from the underside of the base plate. The base at right is the untouched version and at left the stripped verion. The pile at far left is the scrap from this process.

Next I add some felt pads. This not only protects the surface the case will sit on, but gives you just enough space to slide your fingertips under the case to lift and move it.

Next I rough the paper surface for the inside of the base plate. This will be the foundation of the ground cover. The adhesive medium I will use is a common polymer based wood glue.

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 08:30 AM UTC
Here is the addition of the 50/50 wood glue and water mixture.

The set up with the base plate covered in the wood glue and water mix.

Here is the ground turf tea that I chose for this base.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 08:34 AM UTC
After a minute or so shake off the excess and the result is the simulated section of ground.

The after drying I spray the ground with a flat clear coat.

Here are the first 5 base plates and I have seven more that I will visibly alter the turf tea to resemble Summer or Fall / Autumn.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 08:41 AM UTC
Here are some of the Woodland Scenics products I favor.

Adding several items to the mix gives you a nice variation in colour and texture to the ground areas.

Here is the resulting variations. Several are darker earth or darker green. I can go back and add a third round of medium green turf to blend the colours even further.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 08:47 AM UTC
I drill holes in the kit tires and add brss pins with cyano-glue. Next I drill corresponding holes in the base plates. Next, I add the finished build to the base plate inserting the pins and glueing with cyano. Placement of the figures needs to be worked out with the normal posture(s) in close relation to the the build. Figures need to be appearing to relate to the build. They also give the viewer an instant understanding of proportion.

Most of you will note that these builds have been highlighted in other blogs & threads here at Aeroscale. Here three builds have yet to be attached or a figure added.

The nameplates are done at a local trophy engraver. The simple brass or aluminum plates are attached by cutting a section of the turf covered paper section away using the nameplate as a guide. Next just attach the plate with your favorite cyano-glue. I still have 3 kits awaiting cases but they will be here in the next week or so.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 09:19 AM UTC
Here is the kit Aerobase / DML kit crash in its case.

Kit review
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 09:21 AM UTC
Hi Stephen

Sorry - I didn't intend my "hijack" to send things off at such a tangent!

@ Drabslab - Staff_Jim is the only one who can make ideas like yours a reality. He's a busy man, so Site Feedback is a better place to post them, because that's where he's most likely to spot them.

In the meantime - everyone - we really want more submissions, so don't worry about giving us Staffers too much to do.

All the best

Rowan
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 09:29 AM UTC
Hi Stephen

I'm desperately trying to avoid the inevitable (and totally justified!) ribbing that I don't need display cases because I never finish anything - but, probably a daft question... going back to Pic. 1 - why do you keep your models in their individual cases within the main displays? Doesn't it get in the public's way when viewing them?

All the best

Rowan
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 09:30 AM UTC
No worries Rowan. The small cases are for individual viewing. The larger display units make sure they don't get "lost". The viewing issue does not seem to stop people. I constantly get comments on how detailed the builds are. I have had people ask to view the an individual build up close.

My kits serve as an incentive to the people that visit the VAFM.org museum. Anyone who donates $400.00 to the organization gets to take one of my builds home. I have lost 17 builds to this deal over the years. But its for a great cause. And it gives me an excuse to build more kits.

Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 06:33 PM UTC
Hi Stphen

Thanks for the explanation. It's a great idea. I've discussed donating some of my own to Oxfam to sell in our charity bookshop - of course, I need to get stuck in and finish a good few builds if it's ever going to raise a worthwhile amount for them...

All the best

Rowan
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 08:44 PM UTC
Forgive me the shameless plug here Stephen, but another one of the reasons why I've been so busy lately and not getting any modelling done is that my picture framing business has branched out into glass display cases.

For those who prefer glass over acrylic. They are available with mirrored or clear back walls,(or side walls too if required), mirrored bases are also available.
PM me for prices so as to not to clog Stephen's thread please.

More photos can be found on the website HERE

We now return you to your scheduled broadcast
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2013 - 01:58 AM UTC
No worries Lampie! Model On! Please.

Now lets discuss doing a base plate in sand. Many units were based near the channel or in the desert.
 _GOTOTOP