_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
My model stash
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2013 - 01:59 PM UTC
I know that people posted photos of the stash of models before, I just thought I would post mine, I didn't know where that thread was so I started a new one. If you would like to join in and post photographs of your unbuilt model collection please do!
This reminds me of something else, why do you build models? I enjoy the hobby immensely but there is something more, it is a connection to aviation history.
I had a good friend say that some of his friends didn't understand the draw to model building, I got the impression that they thought it was sort of childish. I'm 46, and have been building all my life. I have been seriously building, with an airbrush about 16 years now. I just thought some of you might like to chime in as to why you build and what do some of your friends think of your hobby too? LOL Russell

warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2013 - 07:13 PM UTC
Good manageable stash mate. Mine has crept up over the 600 mark in the last few weeks and building ships is slow work so I can't see it reducing anytime soon..
This thread actually prompted me to take a set of photos of all the stuff I have for insurances purposes. It goes with the database I have of the stash.
Cheers mate
Warren
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2013 - 07:33 PM UTC
Wow Warren! 600 models! Holy cow. That is a fair number more than I have. I wouldn't know how to chose which one to start next. Thanks for posting. Russell
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2013 - 07:43 PM UTC
That can be a real problem sometimes.. but a good one.
Have a great day
Warren
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2013 - 02:22 AM UTC
Russell, nice stash, not so many kits as to need more then one life time to build them. I have friends that have literally more then a 1,000 kits, and spend their time at hobby shows trying to sell off the over stock of old, out of date kits.

As for me, I've always had a simple rule of no more then 6 kits in my stash. I just don't buy for the sake of having a kit that may not be available down the road. There is always something new, and better designed/made/latest technology to surpass what's been out there to peak my interest. I also try to stay within my area of interest: WW11/Pacific Theater/Allies.

I know that I'm in a small minority, but it works for me, and it keeps the wife happy. I spend enough on supplies to help keep my LHS in business.

Joel
Removed by original poster on 07/19/13 - 16:03:30 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 07/19/13 - 16:09:28 (GMT).
bbronov
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 28 posts
AeroScale: 25 posts
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2013 - 04:10 AM UTC
[/URL]

No problems here, I can quit anytime I want!
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2013 - 05:13 AM UTC
Robbd01
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 791 posts
AeroScale: 213 posts
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2013 - 05:19 AM UTC
Oh here we go. Show me yours and I will show you mine...

http://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mate.php?id=10508&p=albums&album=10128

Cheers

warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2013 - 06:03 AM UTC
Well I wasn't going to, but what the hey!

Well that is some of them..
I need to organise mine a bit better by the look of it.
Cheers
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2013 - 06:43 AM UTC
It certainly is up to each individual as to how much he or she collects, I understand Joel's theory well though. I don't know if I will get through my stash in my lifetime or not!? The question is, where do you put all your models? I have about 35 models, primarily WWII aircraft, scattered through my dwelling. I would like to have some more built, never have enough do you, but, one must have room. Then there is the fact that every so often you have to go around and dust them all! Thanks for everyone sharing, Russell.

P.S. Warren, just shaking my head, so many models, so little time! LOL Brad, very nice collection there, looks like you might get to many of those kits sometime. Robb, well, you have the cleanest model area I have ever seen!! I guess I am just a slob! LOL I can't keep paint off of my model table. Very well organized too.
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2013 - 08:54 AM UTC
I think aircraft take up more room than anything else. My 1/350 ships may be long but they are not very wide which means they are easy to store in my display cases once built.
@ Joel, I do the opposite to you and spend very little on supplies and reference and buy kits instead. I find if my direction changes I can always sell excess kits on Ebay pretty easily even if I lose a little on many of them.
@ Brad, nice and clean but is it the same now?
Cheers guys and gals
Warren
bbronov
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2013 - 09:49 AM UTC
@ Warren...Alas, I've moved since that photo was taken. At the time I had half the basement to myself...We've since moved across the country and from a large house to a city apartment. My 'stash', for the most part, is in a storage unit. Not all is lost, we just bought a house, and once again I'll liberate the kits from their boxes. I actually get a whole outbuilding this time (henceforth know as Bradlandistan).
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2013 - 09:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

@ Warren...Alas, I've moved since that photo was taken. At the time I had half the basement to myself...We've since moved across the country and from a large house to a city apartment. My 'stash', for the most part, is in a storage unit. Not all is lost, we just bought a house, and once again I'll liberate the kits from their boxes. I actually get a whole outbuilding this time (henceforth know as Bradlandistan).

That is where I am very very lucky Brad, I have a hobby room all to myself, a three car garage with just two cars in there to store some kits and a 9 metre x 6 metre shed that is for all my toys, including a 1966 VW Beetle in original condition. Oh I forgot I also have a home theatre/bar room where all my display cases are.
spacepacker
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 47 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2013 - 10:15 AM UTC
WHY?...why do you have so many?.
Will you ever build them all?
I have 4 full kits and about 6 parts kits ie:- figures/Stowage and some pe,thats all...cheers....Kenny
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2013 - 10:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

WHY?...why do you have so many?.
Will you ever build them all?
I have 4 full kits and about 6 parts kits ie:- figures/Stowage and some pe,thats all...cheers....Kenny

I love model kits. I don't drink or smoke or gamble so I have to have one bad habit which is buying model kits and detail sets.
No, I won't build them all in the next few years, but eventually when I am no longer able to buy kits I will have my stash to fall back on. Look at it as providing for my future, and if I need money I can always sell them.
plasticpoupon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Canada
KitMaker: 4 posts
AeroScale: 4 posts
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2013 - 10:50 AM UTC
Well, it is quite some stacks. I have been modeling for some 45 years now. I have repect from everybody around here as it is seen as a pleasant hobby.To look at all the stacks of models,this is quite impressive.
It is a passion more than anything and I beleive people respect that.
the top questions to ask ourselves during a model show is: Do I need it? answer: yes. Do I want it?, answer : yes. When do I want it? answer: now. How much does it cost? answer: Doesnt matter.
So at the end of the day, we hav more models to put on our shelves.
thanks
Plasticpoupon
Robbd01
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 791 posts
AeroScale: 213 posts
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2013 - 11:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Robb, well, you have the cleanest model area I have ever seen!! I guess I am just a slob! LOL I can't keep paint off of my model table. Very well organized too.

I had to clean it up... I was posting it on the web. Believe me it does get messy, paint session the worse.

Cheers
bbronov
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2013 - 12:30 PM UTC
Believe it or not, I have (or had in the distant past) a distinct plan for every one of those kits. It's rare for be to scoop a kit simply because it's a good deal. Occasionally I'll purchase multiples of the same kit because it's a particularly well designed kit, and while I have no plans for the extras, something will certainly come up. My wife once commented that she thought my buying habits had tapered off lately, the only thing I could say in response was that it was because I pretty much already had all the kits there were....

@ Warren....when I said "outbuilding", I actually meant "2 story mother-in-law apartment with kitchen". I think my wife may have found the ultimate way to keep me out of the house for days at a time.
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 868 posts
AeroScale: 690 posts
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2013 - 02:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I wouldn't know how to chose which one to start next.

Hi Russell

..that's exactly the problem I seem to have with my stash - and since most of it is packed away in the garage I can't even access it. I therefore tend to focus on building selected new releases almost exclusively and don't even get to touch the stash. Needless to say I keep adding to it as I can't build all those nice new releases. I think the only thing that will curb it will be running out of space - that's one of the reasons I don't add much to the reference library nowadays - no more room!
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2013 - 02:29 PM UTC
I understand that Neil. I try and keep my stash, about 50 to 60 aircraft mainly, at about that number so not as to overload myself! With the internet access we have today, I often don't invest in reference books, I have some of course, some date back awhile, but you can find what you need on the web mainly. Russell
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2013 - 07:34 PM UTC
An informal survey among my model club buddies revealed enough kits for a couple of hobby shops, nearly 10,000 kits!
North4003
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 960 posts
AeroScale: 391 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2013 - 02:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I know that people posted photos of the stash of models before, I just thought I would post mine, I didn't know where that thread was so I started a new one. If you would like to join in and post photographs of your unbuilt model collection please do!
This reminds me of something else, why do you build models? I enjoy the hobby immensely but there is something more, it is a connection to aviation history.
I had a good friend say that some of his friends didn't understand the draw to model building, I got the impression that they thought it was sort of childish. I'm 46, and have been building all my life. I have been seriously building, with an airbrush about 16 years now. I just thought some of you might like to chime in as to why you build and what do some of your friends think of your hobby too? LOL Russell

Russell,
My kit collection is around 75 kits to build and 10 or so hanger queens.

I'm glad to know that some one else has a Testors Convair C-131. Why not a Convair Campaign soon? I read somewhere about carving out the engine housings and replacing the engine and prop and doing some landing gear bits. Really not a bad kit considering its age.

North4003
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 960 posts
AeroScale: 391 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2013 - 02:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Oh here we go. Show me yours and I will show you mine...

http://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mate.php?id=10508&p=albums&album=10128

Cheers

Robb,
Very orderly work bench, good workable layout.
 _GOTOTOP