_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
WNW DVIIF *Just* a bit different
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 13, 2013 - 04:19 AM UTC
I've been quiet but busy. Like many of us life is throwing some challenges our way. I got absorbed with my PT boat build, as expected it turned into a bit of a detail nightmare, far from the OOB build I'd expected. Anyway enough of floaty things.

This was a birthday pressie of SWMBO bless her, I'd started using W&W Lozenge on the fuselage but after a set to with the supplier (Not W&W themselves I must add, Vladimir has been exceptionally helpful & generous) and getting the wing decaling was proved prohibitively expensive (which Vladimir sent FOC to me) I was itching to continue. While overcoating the decaling I did the old *work too long with tired mind fingers and eyes* the next day what I'd done was diabolical so it all had to be stripped to the base coat. Meanwhile Aviattic had sent me my order with some well received extra samples. (TY Richard) so I set about the build using them with plans to use the W&W for my next Fok build.

So what did I do?
Basic mods was the coaming cowl mod to show the lip and kill that *ing seam* Studying pics of Just's aircraft showed no evidence of access panels but clear seams which I replicated as best I could. adding the overlap between the cowl top halves and the lip around the fuel gauge shroud. Thinning the cowls and panels was a time consuming but worthwhile exercise and I recommend it to get a more scale look to the lip around the rad.

Internally the only real mod was to the ammunition chutes which I don't like how WNW portrayed but understand why. I chose a pretty OOB build for the rest of the internals apart from removing one of the control stick throttle levers as I read Fokker only fitted one as opposed to OAW who did the two handle type (probably got that back to front though.

Outside again, I removed one access panel just for no good reason other than the spare on the sprue looked too useful to pass up using. I tried to replicate the sagging sides of the fabric as it's so prominent (would have been a nice optional part WNW as per the SE5a) and while sitting enthroned ;D on my stool of study (the loo) noticed the odd looking panel that seems to lip over behind the side panel. I took this to possible be some attempt at creating a firewall probably an in field mod?

So this is where she stands right now, touch ups, detailing and rigging to go, Not to mention the prop, wish I could afford a wood one but will resort to the tried and tested methods.

Comments, tips and critique always appreciated

Keith
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2013 - 01:10 AM UTC
Hello Keith – looking really sharp, your trials and tribulations on the Lozenge application sounds audacious – looks god though!

Mmmm, I think I'll have to get myself an "F" version at some point...

All the best

Mikael
 _GOTOTOP