_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
Needed ASAP
wychdoctor92394
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 219 posts
AeroScale: 136 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2013 - 02:14 PM UTC
The point that bugs me is that I am asking for specific parts -- not the whole damned kit! By the way, the "battle damage" and the clear nose section are really just a marketing tool. If they want people to buy their kits, they need to lower their prices to Revell, Monogram, and other model makers prices... by the same token, those model manufacturers need to step up and do a better job of molding and making sure their versions of the kit are accurate.

(OFF TOPIC)

I have the local Marine recruiter looking for the schematics for the MJ-1 bombloader. If I get them, I'll take requests for photocopies, and I'll give directions on how to get them.
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Friday, August 23, 2013 - 01:54 AM UTC
James, today's kits are super expensive compared to what we were paying back in the good old days of the 1970s when the hobby was really going mainstream. I build mostly 1/48 scale kits, and Tamiya kits are basically middle of the road price wise in that scale. Newer companies like Great Wall Hobby price their kits about $20 higher.

The difference for what we're paying now is super detailed kits, much higher quality, higher level of accuracy, recessed panel lines, and nice riveting, etc. The comparison goes on and on. Also, and just as important is the diversification of subject matter.

Joel

wychdoctor92394
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, August 23, 2013 - 03:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

James, today's kits are super expensive compared to what we were paying back in the good old days of the 1970s when the hobby was really going mainstream. I build mostly 1/48 scale kits, and Tamiya kits are basically middle of the road price wise in that scale. Newer companies like Great Wall Hobby price their kits about $20 higher.

The difference for what we're paying now is super detailed kits, much higher quality, higher level of accuracy, recessed panel lines, and nice riveting, etc. The comparison goes on and on. Also, and just as important is the diversification of subject matter.

Joel

Good point, Joel. The kits are more detailed in some cases; a point in hand is Italeri armor is far superior to almost any other except Tamiya. The only real difference is the decals, as far as I can see, and the fact that the kits are made with plastic (petroleum-based). I've built almost every military offering that both Tamiya and Italeri had to offer; I used to work in a hobby shop so I had plenty of time to do it (and I held classes). I've never built any of the Trumpeter kits or the others from Europe.... how do they compare to Tamiya and Revell?
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 24, 2013 - 12:03 PM UTC
James, during my 2 plus years in armor, I was strictly a USA WW11 armor guy. All my kits were DML, AFV Club, & Bronco. Most of the guys on the Armorama site really didn't like the Tamiya kits all that well in terms of accuracy & detail, but their kits almost fell together. They referred to them as shake and bake.

Joel
wychdoctor92394
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, August 24, 2013 - 09:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

James, during my 2 plus years in armor, I was strictly a USA WW11 armor guy. All my kits were DML, AFV Club, & Bronco. Most of the guys on the Armorama site really didn't like the Tamiya kits all that well in terms of accuracy & detail, but their kits almost fell together. They referred to them as shake and bake.

Joel

Joel,

Yes, Tamiya kits were "shake and bake" at least as far as armor was concerned. I've built a few of their bikes, a lot of their aircraft (smaller than 1/32) and some of their armor. Their subject matter is kind of limited in that respect. Italeri had the right idea, but again, limited subject matter. They also had more "optional parts" or "parts not to be used" with whatever variant of Sherman or Priest or Tiger you happened to be building. The F-4EJ from Tamiya is the largest kit I've seen with "not to be used" parts, which means that the moldings are general and there's a few extra sprues added. According to Tamiya, you're not supposed to use the ALQ-87 pod; the AIM-9B missiles; a piece in the rear cockpit floor, and this is just to name a few. What would be nice is the ASTAC pod...

Here's the list of "DO NOT USE" parts on the F-4EJ:

Parts #: 10, 11; 16, 17 (air intake ducts on the side of the nose); the nose gear door (B45); D9 and 13; C30, 33, 34, 35 (x2); L33, 34 (tail tip with acorn fairing), F19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 32, 35; G1, 2, 3, 4 (ALQ pod),parts 11-27; J32 and 33, 37, 38, 39, 43, and 44 and last but not least, part M1. A whole heck of a lot of parts for a "shake and bake" model... LOL

All I wanted was the rear panel (right rear cockpit) and the ALQ-87 pod body replaced by Tamiya... but
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 25, 2013 - 01:00 AM UTC
James, since we've kinda kidnapped your own thread, have you made any progress on the needed part ?

Joel
wychdoctor92394
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, August 25, 2013 - 04:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

James, since we've kinda kidnapped your own thread, have you made any progress on the needed part ?

Joel

Nope...
 _GOTOTOP