_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
Needed ASAP
wychdoctor92394
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 219 posts
AeroScale: 136 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2013 - 04:19 AM UTC
I am requiring the front page to Tamiya kit #60314 (F-4EJ) as I have to replace a couple of damaged parts, and my copy was "coffee-fied" by my son's cat when she knocked over my cup. Needless to say, I can't read some of the instruction for assembly and the front page (cover page) got it the worst.

If anyone has such a critter... could you let me know and send me a photocopy of the front page. When you contact me, I'll give you my address...

Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2013 - 04:32 AM UTC
You can get that instruction sheet right here. Alternatively, the instructions are also published at 1999.co.jp. The pages you want are here.

wychdoctor92394
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2013 - 06:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You can get that instruction sheet right here. Alternatively, the instructions are also published at 1999.co.jp. The pages you want are here.

The first link is a dead one (Error 404) and the second link doesn't have the front page of the assembly guide. Thanks anyway...
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2013 - 06:55 AM UTC
Hi there

If you go back to the product page, you can then open the link for the manual OK. I don't know why there's an error message if you try to go direct:

http://www.tamiyausa.com/items/plastic-model-series-20/1-32-scale-aircraft-17000/mcdonnell-f-4ej-phantom-ii-60314

All the best

Rowan
wychdoctor92394
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2013 - 07:58 PM UTC
OK, I went to both sites, and it's the same cover. It has Tamiya USA written all over it as a watermark. I need the front page without those watermarks...
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2013 - 08:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

OK, I went to both sites, and it's the same cover. It has Tamiya USA written all over it as a watermark. I need the front page without those watermarks...

Hi James

Why? It's perfectly legible. You said you couldn't read your own copy because of coffee stains. There's hardly any text to worry about on the cover and rest of the .pdf manual is without watermarks, so you should have everything you need to build the kit.

All the best

Rowan
wychdoctor92394
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2013 - 03:03 AM UTC
Rowan,

To get the replacement parts that are damaged, I need a clear copy of the front page. It's what Tamiya America requires...
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2013 - 04:47 AM UTC
I think they would be perfectly willing to accept your coffee soaked version along with a copy of their watermarked one for clarity.

the point to them requiring this is that they don't send free spare parts to people who haven't bought their product. essentially they want to see you posess the kit, which is totally fair. your less than mint condition version still proves that. you just need the watermarked copy to make it clear exactly what parts are required. the two together will fulfill all their requirements.
wychdoctor92394
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2013 - 05:16 AM UTC
OK, that's more information than I had before...
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2013 - 05:35 AM UTC
you'll want to add a short note explaining the situation, but i am quite sure their customer service people will be understanding.
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2013 - 07:29 AM UTC
Hi James

Yes, I agree with James - your coffee-stained copy is probably more believable proof you've actually got the kit than something scanned and sent to you.

In the past I've sent manufacturers a photo of broken parts as well as a description - it does no harm to take a "belt and braces" approach.

Good luck and all the best

Rowan
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2013 - 07:34 AM UTC
Success to you - sure is a good looking model.
wychdoctor92394
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2013 - 07:45 AM UTC
OK, I'll send them a copy of the coffee-stained one. Of course, the cat decided to go to sleep after dumping my coffee, but not before sniffing it. LOL
wychdoctor92394
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2013 - 06:01 AM UTC
I faxed the one you guys suggested as well as the coffee-stained one, enclosed in a clear plastic fax cover, and they flatly rejected it.

wychdoctor92394
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2013 - 06:04 AM UTC
The pars I need replaced are the ALQ-87 aerials on the pod, and the rear fuze panel (looks like it was half-molded, detail is crappy)... so I needed the ALQ-87 pod halves and the rear fuze panel... 3 lousy parts... f@#k 'em... I'll build them myself!!!!
wychdoctor92394
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2013 - 06:07 AM UTC
The ALQ-87 pod is listed as not to be used, although I've seen a similar pod on a few RF-4EJ's, but then, I'm unconventional...
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2013 - 06:07 AM UTC
Hi James

I'd send them a photo of the broken parts to prove you have the kit. And it might be a good idea to phone them and talk through whatever their problem is. Companies are usually helpful in my experience.

All the best

Rowan
wychdoctor92394
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2013 - 07:38 AM UTC
I called them,and the operator/sale associate stated, and I quote," We cannot possibly send any replacement parts, even if the kit was still in production, without a clear copy of the front of the instruction sheet, and even then, we might not be able to replace it. We regret the inconvenience, and thank you for calling Tamiya America."
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2013 - 07:46 AM UTC
I would suggest that you take a picture of the instruction sheet sitting on the model box with the damaged parts beside it. Then ask to speak to the customer service manager rather than just an associate. If they want you to prove you own the model then give them so much proof they choke on it.
wychdoctor92394
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2013 - 09:23 AM UTC
I asked them if they wanted pictures, when I was talking to the person on the other end of the line. They said they couldn't open up (which I think was a lie, but then, maybe they were telling the truth) picture files as attachments.

So, I bluntly informed them (in a second phone call) that I would be boycotting Tamiya America, and the parent company, Tamiya Japan, in as many modeling sites as I could. However, I will hold off doing so on this site... for now!
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2013 - 04:46 AM UTC
James, you're not going to make it any easier on yourself by threatening them with boycotting. Being polite and respectful on the phone, and thanking them for their help gets things done a lot quicker. I'm quite sure that they get more then their fair share of people threatening all sorts of actions if they don't get what they want ASAP. Be thankful that they even offer replacement parts. Many companies don't or never respond to your emails, or replacement forms.
Joel
wychdoctor92394
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2013 - 09:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

James, you're not going to make it any easier on yourself by threatening them with boycotting. Being polite and respectful on the phone, and thanking them for their help gets things done a lot quicker. I'm quite sure that they get more then their fair share of people threatening all sorts of actions if they don't get what they want ASAP. Be thankful that they even offer replacement parts. Many companies don't or never respond to your emails, or replacement forms.
Joel

I'm sure they do Joel, but if they wish to get respect, then they should give it as well. I was treated as if I was a child asking for a piece of candy - I was treated as if they were speaking to a child or a mentally impaired person, which I am not. Their attitude, even after I complied with their wishes and requests garnered me nothing -- since I sent the requisite items, including close-up photos ( at someone else's suggestion), and they still want the front page of the instruction booklet (without coffee stains). Therefore, I will inform anyone who asks that Tamiya is reluctant to make good on their products when the product is defective (boycotting).They also said they might not even have the replacement parts (they didn't bother to check).
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2013 - 09:52 AM UTC
Hi there

While I totally agree that staying polite is definitely the only constructive way to go, it does seem bizarre that they wouldn't accept attachments showing the broken parts while demanding proof of a front page of the instructions - presumably also an attachment...

All the best

Rowan
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2013 - 10:47 AM UTC
James, Rowan brings up a good point, about the front page as an attachment if they can't open the one with the pictures. Then again, how would they even know that the front page is from a purchased kit. Seems odd to say the least.

I needed a replacement key code for a Nikon editing program. The only thing that Nikon would accept was a scanned in copy of the receipt and/or the invoice. Since I purchased it online. I was fortunate enough to have saved the invoice. The difference was they were more then professional, cut their own red tape from 10 days to 1 day, and I had the key code.

Joel
wychdoctor92394
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2013 - 02:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

James, Rowan brings up a good point, about the front page as an attachment if they can't open the one with the pictures. Then again, how would they even know that the front page is from a purchased kit. Seems odd to say the least.

I needed a replacement key code for a Nikon editing program. The only thing that Nikon would accept was a scanned in copy of the receipt and/or the invoice. Since I purchased it online. I was fortunate enough to have saved the invoice. The difference was they were more then professional, cut their own red tape from 10 days to 1 day, and I had the key code.

Joel

I wish I had a code... that would make this a lot easier. It's my belief that they don't have the replacement parts and won't do much more than hope I'll go away.

That's fine. I can always "fudge" together an ALQ-87 pod, and I'll file off the detail on the rear cockpit breaker panel and try to make do with a decal. Does anyone have a decal of that panel they can scan and send to me? I'm casting a glue-stick version for the other side (I used to use glue sticks to make Warhammer 40K figures) and we'll see from there.

My point is that a kit of this size and complexity and price shouldn't have broken parts, and the company should stand behind it's product without causing the customer to jump through hoops to get it...
 _GOTOTOP