_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Eduard F6F-5 Hellcat build
AirLedge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Cork, Ireland
KitMaker: 292 posts
AeroScale: 265 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 - 07:48 PM UTC
Hi,
I started this kit about 5 years ago! Long break from modelling ... work, kids, house etc , but back at the bench the last two weeks trying to get it done:

I'm using the Eduard carrier deck which I cut to fit a picture frame, both the deck and the Hellcat have been primed with Vallejo surface primer (USN Ghost Grey, LHS ran out of the standard grey, has an RLM 76 look to me). It sprays on nicely and is much finer than the spray cans I used before. It's definitely not too robust, but for a static model I think it's really good.
More photos to come at the wekend, I hope
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 25, 2013 - 01:39 AM UTC
Mike, welcome back to the bench. Looking forward to your next update with the F6F wearing a coat of paint.
Joel
AirLedge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Cork, Ireland
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2013 - 10:29 AM UTC
I manager to get the metal undercoat sprayed which showed up a few areas needing work. I'm planning to use humbrol maskol for chipped paint effects, it'll be the first time so looking forward to seeing how it turns out. More to follow ...

Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2013 - 12:44 PM UTC
Mike, for an undercoat, your NMF looks great. Looking forward to your next update when the F6F-5 is wearing some Overall glossy Sea Blue.
Joel
AirLedge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Cork, Ireland
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2013 - 10:35 PM UTC
Thanks Joel. The NMF is Vallejo Air Chrome. I'm coming round to the Vallejo range again having had mixed results with them a few years back. It sprayed on great and leaves a nice even finish. It's also shown up some areas needing sanding/ filling that I missed with their grey primer. I'd recommend them. The overall sea blue will be from Gunze.
AirLedge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Cork, Ireland
Posted: Friday, December 13, 2013 - 09:26 AM UTC
Hello again,

Got back to the bench finally and managed to spray and mask for the hourglass markings on the wings and tail, added some humbrol maskol too so should finally get some real colour on it this weekend.
FinneganBojangles
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 60 posts
AeroScale: 56 posts
Posted: Monday, December 16, 2013 - 07:33 AM UTC
Looks great so far, Mike! I've got this same kit sitting in the closet, I'm excited to see how yours turns out!
Removed by original poster on 01/14/14 - 06:35:00 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 01/14/14 - 06:38:16 (GMT).
AirLedge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Cork, Ireland
Posted: Monday, January 13, 2014 - 06:41 PM UTC
Hi again,
It's been a while but I managed to make some progress on the Hellcat over Xmas/New Year. I wasn't too pleased with the Humbrol Maskol for chipped paint so I resprayed areas where I wasn't happy.
Gloss coat and decals up next...
greif8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 673 posts
AeroScale: 492 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 12:03 AM UTC
Hi Mike, your Hellcat looks really great. The priming and NMF undercoating are very well executed and appear to be very smooth. I have the same kit in the stash. Did you run into any problem areas while building it? I really like the quality of Eduard's models, but the fit sometimes makes me grit my teeth!

Again, fantastic job thus far!

Sincerely,
Ernest
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 02:56 AM UTC
Mike, paint looks really good. Since you went with a flat Dark Sea Blue, I gather that you're going for a more weather worn look then a glossy look.

Joel
raypalmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,151 posts
AeroScale: 985 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 04:49 AM UTC
Hi Mike, looking sharp. I've also tried maskol etc for chips with mixed results. Then the salt method which to my eye looked totally unnatural. Recently I've been doing the metal undercoat with alclad. I prefer the look of vallejo metallics for the surface. Alclad is however effectively indestructible. So as a base coat it will survive the topcoat being physically chipped. I just chip the vallejo away with cocktail sticks and exactos to expose the alclad. So far my results have been very pleasing.
AirLedge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Cork, Ireland
Posted: Friday, January 17, 2014 - 09:59 AM UTC
Hi,

Quoted Text

Hi Mike, your Hellcat looks really great. The priming and NMF undercoating are very well executed and appear to be very smooth. I have the same kit in the stash. Did you run into any problem areas while building it? I really like the quality of Eduard's models, but the fit sometimes makes me grit my teeth!

Thanks Ernest, the kit's great, nice fit (neeeded to sand to get the cowling to sit right and there was a slight sink in the wing control surfaces, everything else was fine), decent selection of subjects/decals, resin wheels are cool too.

Quoted Text

Mike, paint looks really good. Since you went with a flat Dark Sea Blue, I gather that you're going for a more weather worn look then a glossy look.

Hi Joel, funny thing is I sprayed Gunze H54 which is supposed to be glossy, generally I prefer flat finishes anyway, but I might go down the glossy road yet

Quoted Text

Hi Mike, looking sharp. I've also tried maskol etc for chips with mixed results. Then the salt method which to my eye looked totally unnatural. Recently I've been doing the metal undercoat with alclad. I prefer the look of vallejo metallics for the surface. Alclad is however effectively indestructible. So as a base coat it will survive the topcoat being physically chipped. I just chip the vallejo away with cocktail sticks and exactos to expose the alclad. So far my results have been very pleasing.

Thanks Richard, I'll have to give that a try sometime.
Not much else happening with me on the modelling front this weekend, most of the clan has gone down with flu
greif8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2014 - 08:29 PM UTC
Thanks for the heads up on the fit of this kit Mike. Your Hellcat is looking very nice to this point.

Ernest
AirLedge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Cork, Ireland
Posted: Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 10:45 AM UTC
Your welcome Ernest. Thanks for the kind words. I'm half way through decaling now so should have an update by the weekend, cheers
AirLedge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Cork, Ireland
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 11:44 PM UTC
Quick update, decaling done!, lots of stencils on this one. Wash to follow and the weathering begins ...
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 01:26 AM UTC
Looks good Mike , nice clean paint work . Looking forward to on the weathering ...

Terri
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 03:24 AM UTC
Mike, really nice paint job, and the decaling looks like paint too. Both came out just about perfect. Looking forward to your weathering, as there is such a wide latitude for Glossy Dark Sea Blue paint schemes.

Joel
laxtree48
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 4 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Friday, January 31, 2014 - 02:09 PM UTC
Looks great to me, can't wait to see it finished.
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
AeroScale: 231 posts
Posted: Friday, January 31, 2014 - 03:01 PM UTC
Great looking Hellcat. I like how you made the propeller spin in that one pic.

Jim
AirLedge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Cork, Ireland
Posted: Monday, February 10, 2014 - 02:17 AM UTC
Hi again, almost there on the Hellcat!
After decalling a panel line wash was used, MIG Productions Dark Wash. First time using a pre-mixed bottled wash, really happy with it, no fuss, runs well into details etc. and very easy to clean up, highly recommended. Then Tamiya Smoke was sprayed followed by Tamiya Buff to illustrate the different coloured exhaust staining seen on many Hellcat photos. The undercarriage, ordnance and radio antenna are all on (just the rockets left) and we're done. Then it's time for the carrier deck! Enjoy...

Couldn't resist the spinning prop shot again, sorry ...
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, February 10, 2014 - 02:33 AM UTC
Mike,
Just a super build. I'm really impressed. weathering is near on perfect, as is the exhaust staining. Your dark wash does show up, which surprised me. I've been going lighter on darker colors for contrast. It's certainly food for thought.

Never used any pre-mixed washes as they seemed so expensive, but as you said they're so convenient.

Joel
AirLedge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Cork, Ireland
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 04:11 AM UTC
Thanks as always Joel. I know how much you appreciate Naval aircraft so cheers for the encouragement. I wasn't really sure how the darker panel line wash was going to turn out, but I'm happy enough. It's quite subtle. Regarding the expense of the bottled washes I reckon it's worth it seeing as one bottle would last you ages. Hope to have this bad boy done by the weekend. Fingers crossed!
greif8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 07:20 PM UTC
Mike, first class build! Great job all around; I am very impressed with your weathering and I think you gave your Hellcat a realistic amount. Again, outstanding build!

Ernest
 _GOTOTOP