_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Easiest Wingnut Wing kit.
thewrongguy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 448 posts
AeroScale: 34 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2013 - 03:41 AM UTC
Hi.

I've decided that I want to take a crack at a wingnut wings kit. I was wondering if anyone could recommend which is one of their easier models?

Thanks for your time

Jeff
redcap
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 753 posts
AeroScale: 311 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2013 - 03:54 AM UTC
Jeff,

Having just finished their Pfalz DIIIa, it's about as good a fitting kit and easy build as any WW1 biplane requiring rigging. As always however with ANY WNW kit, you MUST remove all traces of paint on contact and glue points as even a single coat of paint WILL affect fit as the fit tolerances of engineering are so precise - truly amazing!

If you don't want to do any rigging for a first WW1 model;

1. Their Junkers J1 kit may be the way to go and I have heard from others that this is also a flawless build.

2. W29 - ditto but now OOP so it's now VERY expensive to buy second hand.....if you can even locate one for sale!

3. Fokker DVII (all boxings) have received much acclaim but you have to be really careful with the internal and engine fittings to avoid potential strut and u/c issues later in the build if you don't fit internal & engine parts precisely

Whichever WNW kit you choose, you are in for a treat. Good luck!

Gary
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2013 - 03:56 AM UTC
If you don't want to mess around with a lot of struts, try the Fokker E.II/III kit. The Fokker D.VII is also fairly drama-free due to its relative lack of rigging. There are reviews of many Wingnut kits on the site and many more out there in the wilds of the internet. You'll be able to take a look and see where your comfort level is.
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2013 - 05:00 AM UTC
If you're not afraid of trying a bit of rigging – their Sopwith Pup is a pretty sweet kit that goes together with very little problems.

I would also recommend the Sopwith Tripe for the same reasons tough it has three wings, the rigging is even less demanding than the Pup.

Whichever WNW kit you choose, you are in for a treat!

Mikael

P.S. I found the DVII to be surprisingly fidly, though very rewarding.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Friday, October 18, 2013 - 11:27 AM UTC
The Junkers J.I is one of the few kits with zero rigging and I have build two of them. Almost flawless builds my only recomendation is that you pin the struts inplace. There can be a lot of flexing with that BIG top wing compared to the rest of the kit when finished.
StukaJr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 346 posts
AeroScale: 292 posts
Posted: Monday, October 21, 2013 - 07:38 AM UTC
If you have built WWI biplanes before, you will find WnW construction a lot easier and guess free - if you are new to early aviation, then WnW is the best place to start to learn the subject.

Coming from Eduard / Roden experience, I found that WnW improves experience by providing modeler with pre-angled struts (taking guess out of wing position), very detailed (and easy to read) instructions and just enough detail to be satisfied (but not overwhelmed).

Fokker D.VII and Sopwith Triplane have very little rigging and possibly the best starters, as other posters have suggested.
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Monday, October 21, 2013 - 09:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If you have built WWI biplanes before, you will find WnW construction a lot easier and guess free - if you are new to early aviation, then WnW is the best place to start to learn the subject.

Coming from Eduard / Roden experience, I found that WnW improves experience by providing modeler with pre-angled struts (taking guess out of wing position), very detailed (and easy to read) instructions and just enough detail to be satisfied (but not overwhelmed).

Fokker D.VII and Sopwith Triplane have very little rigging and possibly the best starters, as other posters have suggested.

I agree Ivan. Both the D.VII and the Triplane are excellent starting subjects for the non-riggers out there.

Be careful with the Pups as their undercarriage is rather fragile. Both of mine are slowly collapsing to the shelf with bent axles. Must get around to fixing them soon...
Robbd01
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 791 posts
AeroScale: 213 posts
Posted: Monday, October 21, 2013 - 10:12 AM UTC
If you can find it and your wallet can handle it, find the '32010 - Hansa-Brandenburg W.29' kit. I actually got mine when WNW had it preordered I think it was around Christmas time a few years back. If not, then like the other suggestions try the Fokker E.III. I picked up their '32802 - Fokker E.III & DH.2 "The Duellists" ' and I am wondering why. There is more rigging on that DH.2 then all the Revell USS Constitution's kits I build in my youth

Cheers
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Monday, October 21, 2013 - 07:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Be careful with the Pups as their undercarriage is rather fragile. Both of mine are slowly collapsing to the shelf with bent axles. Must get around to fixing them soon...

Interesting Warren, I'm having the same problem with mine – thinking about how to fix this – perhaps using wire or thread?

Mikael
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, October 21, 2013 - 08:32 PM UTC
I fixed one of them but can't remember how..

I will need to investigate but I think some strategically p[laced superglue could fix the problem, and maybe use copper pipe when building the plane. I might just have to get another Pup tp test my theory.. (lovely kits!!)
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Monday, October 21, 2013 - 08:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I fixed one of them but can't remember how..

I will need to investigate but I think some strategically p[laced superglue could fix the problem, and maybe use copper pipe when building the plane. I might just have to get another Pup tp test my theory.. (lovely kits!!)

Oh yes, very lovely kits – Copper pipe, hmmm – Thanks
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, October 21, 2013 - 08:50 PM UTC
BTW, WNW have just released two new Fokkers Eindeckers..
Torchy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,016 posts
AeroScale: 475 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 22, 2013 - 05:36 AM UTC
Sopwith Triplane = eazy peazy
Bink123
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 414 posts
AeroScale: 364 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 22, 2013 - 07:47 AM UTC
The easiest - the Sopwith Camel, oh, wait....oops.
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, October 22, 2013 - 07:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The easiest - the Sopwith Camel, oh, wait....oops.

Silly boy!! We don't need another Sopwith Camel when there is already a good one out there, the Academy one.. Wait a minute did I say good? Well I have it in the stash and it is nowhere near up to WNW standards.. I wonder why WNW uses this line when I am sure the Camel would be a huge seller.

Oh well.. Just have to put up with all the lovely kits they do do I suppose.
Bink123
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 414 posts
AeroScale: 364 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 22, 2013 - 12:14 PM UTC
Just being facetious.

_GOTOTOP