_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Wingnut Wings availability
Biggles2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
AeroScale: 121 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 19, 2013 - 04:06 AM UTC
Are Wingnut Wings models available in North America, or only from eBay, or Wingnut company?
Robbd01
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 791 posts
AeroScale: 213 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 19, 2013 - 04:45 AM UTC
Direct from Wingnut Wings site - Free shipping
www.wingnutwings.com

Cheers
Biggles2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, October 19, 2013 - 06:02 AM UTC
Yeah that's what I thought. I only found Hobby Link Japan, an eBay seller (who was demanding $33USD shipping !!), and Wingnuts Wings.
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
AeroScale: 1,351 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 19, 2013 - 06:08 AM UTC
Hannants in the UK stock Wingnuts I don't know what their postage costs to Canada are like but you could take a look. Hannants
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 19, 2013 - 07:04 PM UTC
I was surprised to learn that Hannants stock WNW kits, so I checked it out. There prices looked a bit suspect so I checked out the prices on WNW web site. The Duelists double kit, for example, is £129.99 + P&P from Hannants, the same kit from WNW is $129.99 and free P&P. Yes I know that you get stung for duty at entry into the UK but it still seems like a better deal direct from WNW, Plus the availability is better. I must admit to having held off from buying anymore WNW kits direct from them due to the duty being nicked at entry though. It just looks like Hannants have taken the WNW prices and just changed the sign in front! I haven't looked at the exchange rate to work out the real difference, but whatever it is it doesn't look like the best deal is from Hannants? Maybe Hannants will have their 1 example of the Duelists kit at Telford at a good price and I can snap it up there?
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 19, 2013 - 09:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hannants in the UK stock Wingnuts I don't know what their postage costs to Canada are like but you could take a look. Hannants

Why would you bother when WNW has free postage?
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 20, 2013 - 01:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I was surprised to learn that Hannants stock WNW kits, so I checked it out. There prices looked a bit suspect so I checked out the prices on WNW web site. The Duelists double kit, for example, is £129.99 + P&P from Hannants, the same kit from WNW is $129.99 and free P&P. Yes I know that you get stung for duty at entry into the UK but it still seems like a better deal direct from WNW, Plus the availability is better. I must admit to having held off from buying anymore WNW kits direct from them due to the duty being nicked at entry though. It just looks like Hannants have taken the WNW prices and just changed the sign in front! I haven't looked at the exchange rate to work out the real difference, but whatever it is it doesn't look like the best deal is from Hannants? Maybe Hannants will have their 1 example of the Duelists kit at Telford at a good price and I can snap it up there?

The thing with Hannants and any other hobbyshop selling WNW kits on the net or store (with the possible exeption of hobbylink Japan?) is that they are not "licensed resalers" as it were. WingNutWings have from the start stated that they will be the sole distributor themselves, thus being able to control, and indeed, keep prices on a sound level. This way they can also afford to include the shipping in the price. Had they acted as many other manufacturers, and let others distribute their kits, then the profit margins of the retailers, importers and shops would be put on top of the price for the kit, and I belive giving us a much more expensive offeing in the end. What about the kits Hannants and others are selling then? Well, I belive they are in fact bought and imported "privetly" from WNWs website. Their, like our, kits get tolled and hit by customs, and then the shop put a moderate profit on top of their margins, leaving you with a pretty expensive kit. So I think, even if you get hit by customs ordering from WNW, you will always get it cheaper that way in the end.

My two pence on the subject.

Mikael
Biggles2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, October 20, 2013 - 02:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

. So I think, even if you get hit by customs ordering from WNW, you will always get it cheaper that way in the end.

Mikael

I must agree. Wingnuts Wings have the cheapest prices, and the free shipping (probably included in their prices)makes it even cheaper. As for duty, Canadian customs are very inconsistent, sometimes charging and sometimes not. Probably from different interpretations of their rule book by various employees.
StukaJr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 346 posts
AeroScale: 292 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 22, 2013 - 08:07 PM UTC
Buying Direct from WnW is great exerience - I get stuff faster shipped to US than most Domestic retailers.

Ebay and retailers are only worth it for 2 OOP kits - Hansa Brandenburg and LVG (if they are worth the $200 mark up). While WnW are limited release, I was told that both OOP kits are being planned as bundle re-release, with more detail / figures kind of dealio...
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,032 posts
AeroScale: 1,025 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2013 - 01:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

. So I think, even if you get hit by customs ordering from WNW, you will always get it cheaper that way in the end.

Mikael

I must agree. Wingnuts Wings have the cheapest prices, and the free shipping (probably included in their prices)makes it even cheaper. As for duty, Canadian customs are very inconsistent, sometimes charging and sometimes not. Probably from different interpretations of their rule book by various employees.

Ordering direct from WNW from Canada is a very good deal given, in my experience, that Canada Customs have only applied their fees on two of the fourteen Kits I've ordered. In those cases the fees have been different on identical purchase prices; about 10% on one, 30-35% on the other thus I'm averaging 5% or less overall on the free shipping total price. The service has been excellent on all but one, that being over the Christmas Holiday break.
Cheers,
Lance
 _GOTOTOP