Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
"Against The Wind" A Boxed Diorama
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 8,227 posts
AeroScale: 3,915 posts
Posted: Friday, March 07, 2014 - 02:14 AM UTC

I wouldn't use this method for old barnsiding but for smoother floors it works OK.
Remember acrylics darken as they cure,final adjustments should be made after letting it sit overnight.
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Friday, March 07, 2014 - 05:34 AM UTC
I used simulated nails on these upper level boards because they are wider than on the lower level. It was laid like a hardwood floor by toe nailing the boards from the side.Now it is on to completing the upper level floor.
Removed by original poster on 03/08/14 - 01:41:46 (GMT).
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Friday, March 07, 2014 - 01:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all

Jung wrote about synchronicty "When coincidences pile up... one cannot help being impressed by them", so I was really struck last week when no less than three unrelated messages came out of the blue, all on the same subject...

First, I received an e-mail from one of our members concerned about the lack of feedback these days in the forum. That got me thinking, but before I could even begin to address the issue, low and behold, there were PMs from two other modellers (completely unconnected to each other and the first) also worried and discouraged that their own builds had seemingly not been even noticed because there hadn't been a single comment about them. There was definitely a pattern forming...

I know from personal experience when I first joined Kitmaker (back in the dim and distant days when I actually finished a few models! ) just how encouraging it is to get some feedback - and helpful too, when fellow modellers offer suggestions for tackling aspects that have proved troublesome.

Here at AeroScale, we are fortunate to have many modelers who are kind enough to share their work with us via posting in the forums. But sadly there seems to be a growing trend where, although there are often many views of each posting, very few readers post comments.

Is this down to shyness, or antipathy - who can tell? I remember in the past, especially when we part of the original Armorama, some people complained about the number of "Wow! That's great!" comments and started a drive for "positive criticism only". Trouble is, sometimes "Wow! That's great!" is a perfectly valid reaction to a beautifully built model - and why feel you can't comment if you can't point out anything wrong with a build? In fact, the lack of posts in response to a model could be interpreted as a negative reaction to the model by the builder.

It is in this light that I want to personally encourage everyone to feel free to post comments in response to models posted on the site, even if only to tell the builder that you enjoyed seeing their model. We also want to encourage everyone to post photos of their models as well, so please feel free to "share your work". You don't need to have built the best model in the world in order to post it on the site, as I have yet to find anyone who visits the site that does not like to look at photos of built models.

All the best

Rowan

Unfortunately there hasn't been much change !
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 01:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi all

Jung wrote about synchronicty "When coincidences pile up... one cannot help being impressed by them", so I was really struck last week when no less than three unrelated messages came out of the blue, all on the same subject...

First, I received an e-mail from one of our members concerned about the lack of feedback these days in the forum. That got me thinking, but before I could even begin to address the issue, low and behold, there were PMs from two other modellers (completely unconnected to each other and the first) also worried and discouraged that their own builds had seemingly not been even noticed because there hadn't been a single comment about them. There was definitely a pattern forming...

I know from personal experience when I first joined Kitmaker (back in the dim and distant days when I actually finished a few models! ) just how encouraging it is to get some feedback - and helpful too, when fellow modellers offer suggestions for tackling aspects that have proved troublesome.

Here at AeroScale, we are fortunate to have many modelers who are kind enough to share their work with us via posting in the forums. But sadly there seems to be a growing trend where, although there are often many views of each posting, very few readers post comments.

Is this down to shyness, or antipathy - who can tell? I remember in the past, especially when we part of the original Armorama, some people complained about the number of "Wow! That's great!" comments and started a drive for "positive criticism only". Trouble is, sometimes "Wow! That's great!" is a perfectly valid reaction to a beautifully built model - and why feel you can't comment if you can't point out anything wrong with a build? In fact, the lack of posts in response to a model could be interpreted as a negative reaction to the model by the builder.

It is in this light that I want to personally encourage everyone to feel free to post comments in response to models posted on the site, even if only to tell the builder that you enjoyed seeing their model. We also want to encourage everyone to post photos of their models as well, so please feel free to "share your work". You don't need to have built the best model in the world in order to post it on the site, as I have yet to find anyone who visits the site that does not like to look at photos of built models.

All the best

Rowan

Unfortunately there hasn't been much change !

Thank God for the lurkers !
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 03:56 AM UTC
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 04:15 AM UTC
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 08:47 AM UTC
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 08:57 AM UTC
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 12:37 AM UTC

I really like the joists running front to back as it adds to the depth of the piece, however, realistically more support would be needed in 1:1 scale ,like cross bracing etc..
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 01:31 AM UTC
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2014 - 12:21 AM UTC
CaptnTommy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 424 posts
AeroScale: 389 posts
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2014 - 04:18 AM UTC
This is nice. I think Tamiya has a Tank repair kit which contains a chain fall you could use in front of the Loft. I mention this because chain falls come in all shapes and sizes, so reqardless of scale you might be able to use it.

Reeeaaaallllly Nice Work

Captn Tommy
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, April 07, 2014 - 01:06 AM UTC

Been out for maintenance recently.
I don't have a lot of good pics of the Fokker factory but it looks to me like I see two levels in this pic.
CaptnTommy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, April 07, 2014 - 01:53 AM UTC
I saw The Blue Max this weekend. 1st in years. They obviously copied their Wind tunnel from your's.
Kidding aside the look was the same even moreso than I remembered. And from what you could see of the background was the impression of a vast Hanger/shed/empty sound stage (which it was) The WT was black inside and greenish grey on the outside.
Captn Tommy
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, April 07, 2014 - 02:58 AM UTC
Thanks Tommy ,I have the movie so I'll take a look.
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, April 07, 2014 - 03:04 AM UTC

OOPS !Moritz dropped his tail.
These figures are all from Model Art.Beggars can't be choosers so I had no choice but to use them.They require a lot of work to get the parts to fit right.Not recommended for beginners.Hands and heads will be added later when I decide how they will finally relate to one another.
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, April 07, 2014 - 10:56 AM UTC

A little Fokker advertising.
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 10:26 AM UTC
I haven't decided yet how I want to use the 144 Fokker but it is a great little addition.
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 11:18 AM UTC

Wind tunnel experimental props.
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 11:25 AM UTC

Wing rib jig.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 09:09 AM UTC
Hi John

Lovely work as ever!

I have to say though, I don't know how you're linking pics or what size your original photos are, but they reduce my fibre-optic broadband to a crawl (it could be worth downsizing them for the sake of viewers on slow connections). Also - I hope you do realise you don't have to post one pic at a time? - it's an awful lot of unnecessary work for you doing separate posts for each one.

All the best

Rowan
CaptnTommy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2014 - 06:52 AM UTC
for the 144 model If you can find a table or bench (doll house scale and fake a drawing or tow on the table ith the tripe sitting on it in the corner. There is a subplot (Oh look at that in the corner!) for the audience.

Test Engineers should have lab type coats.

I am probably saying things you already know, so I will be silent until your next post (or the one after that) I am have great fun watching this project.

Thanks Captn Tommy
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2014 - 08:37 AM UTC
Hi again

@ John - I hope my comments didn't come across as negative - my aim is to both make your superb work accessible to the widest audience, whilst saving you needless duplication of work (which must add up to many hours over the course of a major project).

All the best

Rowan
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 - 09:54 AM UTC
I understand what you are saying Rowan.I am no computer whiz so I just post whatever comes up on my photobucket.From now on when I edit my pics in photobucket I will re-size them there before posting.