Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Dragon's P- 61B Black Widow 1/72
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 02:43 PM UTC
For the GB on the P-61B this is the kit I will be building . Dragon's 1/72 Golden Wings Series Premium Edition . Will be doing this out of the box . Not sure on which scheme I will be going with yet . So far I have sprayed all the call outs for interior green . I use Tamiya Flat Green with Yellow mix in . . This mx was then lighten with white and a the surfaces got this applied with a mist .

Terri
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 02:11 AM UTC
Terri,
Will be following your build with great interest. That you can count on.

The cockpit and tail compartment of the fuselage were painted Interior Green. While the engine cowlings, wheel wells, gear doors, access hatches, ladders, gun bay & doors, etc. were all painted in Yellow Zinc Chromate
A really close match that I use is Tamiya's XF-4 Yellow Green.

Joel
Mcleod
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,028 posts
AeroScale: 939 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 03:54 AM UTC
Happy for you, Terri, that you were able to find the Dragon 1/72 kit. I know this will be a great thread to watch.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 04:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Happy for you, Terri, that you were able to find the Dragon 1/72 kit. I know this will be a great thread to watch.

Ben, is this a hard to find out of date kit?
Joel
Mcleod
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 05:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

is this a hard to find out of date kit?

I've only found it on E-bay at the usual ludicrous prices and shipping cost. Like the Revell F-101B, I'll wait until a reissue comes through. They always do, from someone.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 12:22 PM UTC
Hi Joel and Ben ,

Joel , I know about the colours used in the wheel wells and engine cowls . I just want this to be a simple build with out all the stress on worries about which colours to use .

Ben , I got this kit a fee years back from Staff-Jim . I did a inbox review on her . It's listed in my profile ...

It can be a hard to find , not many come up for trade little along for sale .

Terri
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
AeroScale: 1,351 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 12:28 PM UTC
I'll be following along Terri for when I get around to build mine

Quoted Text

Ben, is this a hard to find out of date kit?
Joel

Well Ben, Joel, I'll keep my three to myself with the heady price for the time when they came out of £12 each. I have one boxing of 'Lady of the Dark' and two of the other release.
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 12:42 PM UTC
I will be watching as well Terri, always up for a P-61 build, and your build threads are always great !

Quoted Text

I have one boxing of 'Lady of the Dark'

I have this one also, planning to build it soon for a diorama.

Cheers, D
Mcleod
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 01:16 PM UTC
Hheeyyy!!! How come ya'll gotta rub it in you were smart enough to buy one(or three).

Quoted Text

I have this one also, planning to build it soon for a diorama.

I'm waiting with very keen anticipation. But, right now I'm looking forward to Terri's upcoming progress.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 04:02 PM UTC
Made a bit more progress and finished off the cockpits . Surprisingly the detail in the kit is better dame good for this scale . The rear cockpit lacks detail on the side walls , there is none and the only PE parts used in this area is the seat belts . I didn't do any detailing but some folks out there might want to dress this up a bit more .

Terri
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 12:47 PM UTC
Made a bit more progress yesterday . Over fit is not good . There is filling and sanding which needs to be done . I had to do a fair bit of sanding and test fitting the wings and they still need work . The tail booms sanding was need for a better fit . The front canopy doesn't fit and all , wider then what the fuselage is at the bulk head . I haven't test fitted the rear canopy yet . I have an idea on how to fix this will report my findings , but for now here is were the project stands .

Terri
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, February 07, 2014 - 04:41 AM UTC
Terri, some serious progress on the Widow for sure. For 1/72 scale, the cockpit looks quite good. Nice effort with the weathering. Your seatbelts & Harnesses look great.

The canopy issue sounds rather serious, as an over sized canopy presents some real challenges to get it to fit correctly, or at least blend into the fuselage shape and outline.

So just how do you plan on correcting the canopy issue?

My 1st thought was to insert a spacer between the two fuselage halves right in front of the cockpit. I've used this technique on my 1/48 scale Hobby Boss TBF Avenger, and it worked perfectly. Of course, I did this prior to gluing the two halves together. You could still cut, spread, and widen the fuselage cross section that way.

Joel
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, February 10, 2014 - 03:57 PM UTC
Hi Joel ,

Yes the canopy did pose a issue and the problem has been fixed well some what a whole one just pop up .

Placing the canopy in place and applying a clamp to the corner edges of the rear and letting this sit like this for a few days . Yesterday I removed the clamp . It formed the body better making ready for the next step . Boiling a small pot of water just the rear part was dip into the water for about a minute . Placing the canopy back on the airframe and plcing the clamp back and left to cool . Worked like a charm until I dropped the dame thing sending the clamp flying in one direction while the canopy went the other cracking it . I almost tossed the whole thing into the trash . But I will finish her . The canopy parts got dipped in future and will let this dry over night and start masking tomorrow . I would like to be able to get some paint on her and get her done for the end of the month so I can start my build for Russell ..

Terri
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Monday, February 10, 2014 - 04:09 PM UTC
That instrument panel looks amazing.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 02:45 AM UTC
Terri,
Like Fred said, your IP looks great, especially for 1/72 scale.
You're way braver of a person then I am to have clamped a canopy in place with enough downward pressure to spread it in place. Then place the tail part of it in boiling water. I would have thought that the dunk would have nearly instantly warped it.
I'm assuming that after the accident, you 1st glued the canopy pieces, then a Future bath.
Don't remember reading if you put enough added weight to keep it on it's tricycle gear.
So far a very impressive build.
Joel
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 11:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That instrument panel looks amazing.

Photo etch is pretty amazing , but not something I enjoy using . It is perfect for panels and seat belts few other items as well . Then again when I was really into the WW 2 aircraft I didn't have the luxury of PE parts little lone resin accessories . Being building WW 1 since 2007 . A lot has changed since then .

Terri
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 12:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Terri,
Like Fred said, your IP looks great, especially for 1/72 scale.
You're way braver of a person then I am to have clamped a canopy in place with enough downward pressure to spread it in place. Then place the tail part of it in boiling water. I would have thought that the dunk would have nearly instantly warped it.
I'm assuming that after the accident, you 1st glued the canopy pieces, then a Future bath.
Don't remember reading if you put enough added weight to keep it on it's tricycle gear.
So far a very impressive build.
Joel

Hi Joel , I take a pic and show you the damage to the glass .

Yes I did add weight to the front nose . Will leave the cowlings off until she is on her legs .

Overall it's a pretty good kit other than a few fit issues . I was going to shim the fuselage but then this will have to be repeated for the tail section as well on both sides of the stabilizer to keep the tail booms plum . 2.5mm is fair bit . And I really didn't want to have to do this .

Terri
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 12:35 PM UTC
Hmm, beginning to think waiting to get one of these babies for the P-61 build was a bad idea. At least I've got a handle on fixing the Airfix one now...
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 03:43 AM UTC
[quote
Hi Joel , I take a pic and show you the damage to the glass .

Yes I did add weight to the front nose . Will leave the cowlings off until she is on her legs .

Overall it's a pretty good kit other than a few fit issues . I was going to shim the fuselage but then this will have to be repeated for the tail section as well on both sides of the stabilizer to keep the tail booms plum . 2.5mm is fair bit . And I really didn't want to have to do this .

Terri [/quote]

Your method with the canopy sounds like it accomplished the corrections needed without having to shim the fuselage. I guess in 1/72 scale it would have created an issue with the wing joints that would have transcended to the stabilizers. It's worked for me many a time in 1/48 scale. I used it for a similar issue on the HobbyBoss 1/48 TBF-3 Avenger.
Joel
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 03:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hmm, beginning to think waiting to get one of these babies for the P-61 build was a bad idea. At least I've got a handle on fixing the Airfix one now...

Mark , go and pick one up it is worth it . I could have just gotten a miss molded part . Only had to use fill in a few spots . Whats wrong with the Airfix kit ?

Terri
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 03:46 PM UTC
Hi Joel ,

Yes it did work the charm quit well , will have to keep this in mind for next time . I have the pic's and will get them posted tomorrow . Right now I can hardly keep me eye lids open ...

Terri
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 04:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Whats wrong with the Airfix kit ?

Rivets, there's plenty of rivets
Fits are a bit poor
I spent a lot of time sanding down the cockpit parts to get the fuselage halves together
Sinks, the corners of the fuselage were higher than the centers
The spoilerons fit OK, but they weren't tall enough to actually stick thru the wing.
Rivets, lots of them
poor fit between the wings and fuselage resulted in needing a spacer to spread the tail books to the right width
Praying gunners (hands clasped in front of their mouths)
pilot with his hand in his lap.
Rivets lots of rivets
Sketchy lines on canopies were difficult to read and mask
Mine came without landing gear, I knew that when I got it, but when I went to display the gear doors closed, none of the doors matched.
Did I mention it had a lot of rivets.

That said, I'm going to try it again for the P-61 GB.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2014 - 02:10 AM UTC
Mark,
I hear that there might be a rivet issue on the Airfix kit
Joel
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2014 - 03:17 AM UTC
I'm taking it as this is a older release with all those rivets . I can see this driving a person to go absolutely go insane

Hey Joel , Here is the damage done to the front glass part , but the fit is perfect well almost . Once the frames have been sprayed interior green will be able to see any spots which need a bit more attention . Masking is under way . Also this is what I use for weight . It is salvaged from an old pair of exercise weights . It's tiny shapes of metal is different sizes . Some round some squared . Also excellent for use in adding detail . A little goes a long ways . Super glue works good , but you a fair bit of it so I will use melted down candle wax. A lot cheaper than super glue !

Terri
Mcleod
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2014 - 04:55 AM UTC
The greenhouse fitting looks great. Should be easy enough set and finish, but, I do hope you have a suitable mask set. If not, your going to be there a while.

And I like your ecofriendly way of doing things with weights and wax.
 _GOTOTOP