_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
PE but no instructions
Biggles2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
AeroScale: 121 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 08:24 AM UTC
I'm just starting to build Roden's 1/48 Sopwith 1 1/2 strutter, kit No. 402. I thought it would be a nice little build for a beginner to aircraft, especially with the included PE. The PE is certainly for this kit as it is identified as being for No. 402 on the fret. However, no mention, or placement direction, is made of it in the instructions, or even on an addendum sheet. The only piece I can positively ID is the instrument panel (but no instrument decals!). There are other pieces I recognize, but don't really know where they go. What to do!!?
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 02:11 PM UTC
The PE instructions ought to be in the last two pages of the instruction booklet right before the colour scheme profiles. Look for these pages

It's kind of a screwy way to do them, but I think it's because most of the PE is optional extra detail. I don't really think that the pushrods are any improvement over the plastic part since they're flat, and the same with the control horns and cables; I can do better with scraps of plastic and stretched sprue. The only parts I'd use are the rigging mounts and instrument panel face.

The long doors and grid shape are for the bomber version so they don't get to play in this kit.
Biggles2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 02:35 PM UTC
Hi Jessie. Long time no see. If there is a version of this kit without PE, then I have instructions for that one. My instruction 'booklet' consists of 2 sheets folded over with page nos. running from 01-402 to 08-402. The last 3 pages have color schemes and a rigging diagram. No PE instructions. I been gypped! I would be very obliged if you could scan the pages with the PE instructions and email them to me. Thanks a lot.
Grauwolf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
AeroScale: 95 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 08:06 PM UTC
If you Google Roden Kit 402/404,in images, all the necessary instructions can be found.

Cheers,

Biggles2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Friday, February 07, 2014 - 03:57 AM UTC
Now where did I read that Roden made good kits? This one is not so good - vague instructions, every piece had very visible mold seams and excess plastic to trim, and a warped fuselage which will need interior bracing. Fit is generally poor so far, with lots of trimming needed to make most parts fit properly - especially between the lower wing and fuselage, and filling between fuselage halves. Surface detailing is not bad, but soft and understated in places. I can hardly wait to finish this piece of work and start my Eduard Airco DH. From looking at the sprues it seems to be superior in every way.
amegan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 996 posts
AeroScale: 915 posts
Posted: Friday, February 07, 2014 - 11:59 AM UTC
On top of all that, watch out for the decals, mine fell apart during application, I had to rob an Eduard Brisfit for cockades and mask and paint the tail flash. I also had problems with the rigging anchor points but I think that was lack of skill and older eyes. My kit was short of a wheel, but I moulded a new resin one using the one I had as a pattern.

Tail shows signs of the fight the decals put up
I too prefer Eduard kits, but some day I'll give in and buy the Roden Felixstowe, after all, who else does one?
btw anyone know where I can get cockades for a 1/48 Brisfit
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Friday, February 07, 2014 - 12:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Now where did I read that Roden made good kits?

In the case of Roden, "good" is relative. Remember that Roden is a short-run, not a mainstream manufacturer, despite the very professional look of their product. When judged against other short-run companies such as Blue Max or Merlin they're definitely "good". It's when you unfairly compare them with the latest and greatest Eduard or Tamiya kit that they come off a little lacking.
Biggles2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 03:15 AM UTC
When fitting the tailplane to the fuselage I couldn't fail to notice a gap between them just under the tailplane. It's not a gap due to poor fit - more like an intentional space. Is that supposed to be there? It looks odd.
Biggles2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 04:13 AM UTC
I just did a Google Image search, which is what I should have done to begin with, and apparently no such gap should exist!
Antoni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 574 posts
AeroScale: 573 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 05:50 AM UTC
You might find this useful.

https://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/review/381
Biggles2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 12:07 PM UTC
Yeah, I read that review which is what prompted me to buy this kit. The reviewer must have got the first kit molded, or he didn't seem to mind the problems I already stated above. Anyway, enough whining about poor kits. As soon as this one's finished it's on to Eduard.
 _GOTOTOP