_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
What would you build as your 1st WWI?
chris1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 949 posts
AeroScale: 493 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 08:50 AM UTC
BUILD.....
Hi guys and gals
I have the choice of three Roden kits and can afford only one.
but which one?
Here are the choices
RODEN RAF S.E.5a with Wolseley Viper Engine 1/48
RODEN Bristol F.2B Fighter 1/48
RODEN Fokker D.VII Alb 1/48

I'm a WWI Virgin so comments(if built)slightly urgent
Ta

Chris

Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 09:19 AM UTC
I'd recommend the D.VII due to the relative absence of rigging. Both the Biff and the S.E. come with the challenge of some pretty complicated rigging (compounded by the Biff's stand-off lower wing and two bay wing struts).

Be warned that the Roden D.VII is much more fiddly build than the Eduard kit due to the multiple open panels around the engine. Roden kits are still short-run models despite how mainstream they look. If you approach the kit with that in mind, you can have a very satisfying experience but if you're expecting mainstream fit you may be disappointed.
amegan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 996 posts
AeroScale: 915 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 10:02 AM UTC
Only one for a WWI virgin, the D.VII. The good thing about the D.VII is it has a little rigging so you can have a go without too much risk. Don't touch the others, too complicated for a first effort
Bink123
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 414 posts
AeroScale: 364 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 12:20 PM UTC
I agree, the Fokker would be my choice for a first WWI aircraft.

The wing struts and the top wing will be much easier to mount than the other two, and there isn't much rigging.

Roden decals have a reputation for orneriness, though.

The Fokker D.VII is a smart looking craft, much admired by its pilots and envied by the allies.

Slow and steady wins the race.

dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 8,227 posts
AeroScale: 3,915 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 01:45 PM UTC
Build what appeals to you the most,because in the end it will be your enthusiasm for the build that will get you over the rough spots.
Building one airplane because it is easier,while thinking of another that you would really like to build doesn't work, and it makes your present build a chore to get through, and may ultimately turn you off altogether.Always go with your heart.
Cheers!
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 02:59 PM UTC
We have threads and reviews on all these subjects. Look these over. That is what they are there for.
Biggles2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
AeroScale: 121 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 07:03 PM UTC
Well, for my first WWl AC (first AC at all) I tried Roden's Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter. Maybe I got a poor release, but the kit suffered from warpage of the fuselage in the cockpit area, lots of flash, and poor parts fit requiring some cutting here, some filing and sanding there, and lots of putty work on joints. And if you don't take precautions, the decals will disintegrate in water! For the amount of extra work involved I wouldn't recommend a Roden kit to a novice. I didn't finish it. Instead, I got an Edward kit (Weekend Edition - no PE and frills) and so far it's a total pleasure to build (it goes together like Tamiya) - and about the same price as a Roden kit.
 _GOTOTOP