_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
What do you focus your model collection on?
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 03:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Oh and P-40's, why o why do I seem to have at least one of every P-40 variant?????

Because the P-40 is awesome!

"DITTO"

Bob
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 04:05 PM UTC
Careful Bob, you're partly to blame. Remember the P-40 Workhorse campaign you ran? My unfinished hulk, a P-40E, is still in the box. Doing the kit research I found an old Pavla Hawk Model 81/81A. really love the pointy shape of the early Warhawks, so I got an academy P-40B. Then I found out about the P-40N and they way the glassed in the space behind the pilot, ended up with one of those. And somewhere along the line, I picked up a P-40F, hope it's at least a long tail...
minigamer1953
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 10 posts
AeroScale: 6 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 07:53 PM UTC
Like others, I try to stick to a theme. But, as Jessie mentioned, "something shiny attracts my attention", and off-subject I go. The biggest detriment to that plan was during the years I worked for a hobby shop and got kits at "cost" or as extra "compensation" for the low wages. I think my collection blossomed to over well over 2500 kits during that time, although I had a good start already. At 60, I still like 1/72 aircraft. I'll build most any scale of aircraft, but that was the scale I started in so many years ago. Before someone mentions the usual about 1/72 - in the larger scales, the sub-assemblies can be as daunting as a 1/72 kit, yet the model gets finished. So I don't go for the,"the parts are too small" concept. But, I digress... My current collecting "Theme" is WWI aircraft. I usually stick to a theme for several months or until I burn-out on the subject. I try to tell myself that this helps motivate me to complete kits, but the number of built kits usually doesn't count as a measure of that concept. As my wife says, I'm a hopeless polystyrene addict. Build on! Ric
cdworjan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 5 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Friday, February 28, 2014 - 05:49 AM UTC
I try to build models for particular themes or collections. Besides being more fun (in my mind at least) to have several models all grouped together, I find that it helps me pick a particular aircraft for a type I'd like to build. I do have the personal policy of no Nazi Germany and no Soviet aircraft, but there are ways to still model the aircraft I want.

My themes that I'm working towards:
-USS Saratoga Desert Storm airwing
-Pearl Harbor Defenders
-Battle of Midway
-Unusual air-to-air kills
-Battle of Mogadishu
-S-3 Viking family

Like I said, it helps me pick what I want to build. Much easier to pick a particular F-14 when I have criteria to pick it with.

Chris
Toad-In-The-Hole
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Taipei, Taiwan / 台灣
KitMaker: 44 posts
AeroScale: 38 posts
Posted: Friday, February 28, 2014 - 06:23 AM UTC
I'll add that I collect 1/72 scale and have a fondness for bombers so I imagine in the future, my collection with have a large number of bomber aircraft

Maybe one day I'll give larger models a try, but for now, I'm sticking with 1/72.
 _GOTOTOP