_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
AH-1F Corba Gunship 1/48
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - 01:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Terri,
Wow!! I'm impressed. Your paint and decals came out spectacular. Same for your Weapon loads.

Joel

Hi Joel , Nothing to WOW over yet , stll have pently of time to mess this up ! I did get a pin wash on and sealed in with dull coat . Still some more work with pastels and ware and tare to add . Working on a few other details which I will share later .

Terri
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - 01:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Couple of things. The front of your rotor blades look yellow. They should be gloss black. The material is called estane, a rubber like covering.

The front of the rocket pods and TOW launchers should be FS34031 US Army Helicopter green. Of course it is your model just my .02 cents
Floyd

Hi Floyd , I went and mask and sprayed the yellow gloss black . Tow launchers and rocket pods will remain the same . I don't have anything close to FS34031 .

Terri
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 07:10 AM UTC
Stick a fork in her , I'm calling her done ! But please , don't stick a fork in it . I would be really pissed !

For something which was to be out of the box didn't really turn out that way . Added some detail to the engine bay which can't be seen at all . While searching online and coming across some cool stuff and finding photo's of this aircraft in this scheme . I knew I should have gone lighter on the sand , but live and learn I guess . I made the rotor head tie down bag and straps out of Tamiya masking tape and the remove before flight tags as well with white letter in decal . The plugs for the tow launchers are punched out 15 thou card . Also added bolt heads to the rotor head .

Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 20, 2014 - 03:40 AM UTC
Terri,
congrats on finishing another excellent and interesting build. Looking at it from a modelers point of view, there are very few things that need correction. The one that just jumped out at me is those TOW launchers, the recesses need to be flooded with black so they look like they're hollow chambers. The only other issue I see is the exhaust cone. The seam between the two halves isn't smooth. Of course with that corrugation, I wouldn't have gotten it as good as you did.

Paint and decals are just superb. And your weathering has what my brother coined : That used but not abused look. Just extremely well done.

My constant evolving modeling philosophy is to not only model what interests me, but to cut back on detailing unless it's important to the overall modeling project. If it can't be seen, I'm not modeling it. Your blade covers really add to the overall build, and are a great addition.

Just a super build.
Joel

thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, March 20, 2014 - 10:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Terri,
congrats on finishing another excellent and interesting build. Looking at it from a modelers point of view, there are very few things that need correction. The one that just jumped out at me is those TOW launchers, the recesses need to be flooded with black so they look like they're hollow chambers. The only other issue I see is the exhaust cone. The seam between the two halves isn't smooth. Of course with that corrugation, I wouldn't have gotten it as good as you did.

Paint and decals are just superb. And your weathering has what my brother coined : That used but not abused look. Just extremely well done.

My constant evolving modeling philosophy is to not only model what interests me, but to cut back on detailing unless it's important to the overall modeling project. If it can't be seen, I'm not modeling it. Your blade covers really add to the overall build, and are a great addition.

Just a super build.
Joel

Hi Joel ,

First off thanks for following along on this build . You seem to be the only one who was actually interested in it and that alone means a lot to me .

The TOW Launchers covers block any view of this being a tube . So after spending a bit of time looking at photo's I felt that a wash in this area would defeat the over look and give the appearance of dirt build up which would be realistic . I was going to drill out the back ends but opt with paint instead . My second notion was to make covers for this as well and for the engine fan openings not forgetting about the rocket launchers . Still might do this in future . Working a base for this as well , but I need to find a better way with working with the sand .

The exhaust is a night mare on it's own for cleaning up the seem , any sanding will ruin this . I do recommend replace this with a resin item and the weapons as well . Lot's of seems which need care attention with the clean up . I should have thinned down the inside but I really didn't want to do all that sanding .

Terri
pantherkid
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 73 posts
AeroScale: 20 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 20, 2014 - 02:38 PM UTC
Hi Terri, This turned out super, you said that your not happy with the way the color came out. How would you have painted it diffrent? I have 2 of these, and will build this one and do the other in Israeli colors. Also your P-61 turned out super also, I'll be useing that when I build my monogram one. Good luck on your next masterpeice. Rick
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2014 - 02:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Terri, This turned out super, you said that your not happy with the way the color came out. How would you have painted it diffrent? I have 2 of these, and will build this one and do the other in Israeli colors. Also your P-61 turned out super also, I'll be useing that when I build my monogram one. Good luck on your next masterpeice. Rick

Hello Rick , After finding photo's of the actual helo my sand isn't light enough . I needed to add more buff to my mix or even deck tan would have been a better choice . I would do another one , it's a pretty good kit and has held it's on over the years . There are a few more from this squadron I want to do .

Terri
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2014 - 02:52 AM UTC
Terri,
Thanks, but I'm sure that many members have followed along, they just don't post much if at all.

Like I said in other posts, I really don't get all that critical of paint tones. What I'm seeing on my computer may or may not be anything close to the actual model. What matters to me is that you used the correct called for color. And speaking of painting, I still can't believe that you hand painted that bird.

The kit exhaust is indeed way too thick, and with no interior detail. I would concur that a resin replacement would have made a huge difference, but that's a personal decision, and if you didn't feel the need to replace it, that's your right. If that was the only issue I found with your build, it really is one hell of a rock solid build of a not so new kit.
Joel
Arizonakid
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 89 posts
AeroScale: 33 posts
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2014 - 07:15 AM UTC

Hello The Girl

You have done an excellent build with extra detail in just the right places. And the paint and weathering are just awesome. And I wouldn't worry so much about the color not being light enough. I believe that if you hadn't told us, almost no one would ever know. Once again, very nice.

Gary
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 11:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Terri,
Thanks, but I'm sure that many members have followed along, they just don't post much if at all.

Like I said in other posts, I really don't get all that critical of paint tones. What I'm seeing on my computer may or may not be anything close to the actual model. What matters to me is that you used the correct called for color. And speaking of painting, I still can't believe that you hand painted that bird.

The kit exhaust is indeed way too thick, and with no interior detail. I would concur that a resin replacement would have made a huge difference, but that's a personal decision, and if you didn't feel the need to replace it, that's your right. If that was the only issue I found with your build, it really is one hell of a rock solid build of a not so new kit.
Joel

Hi Joel , there is a misunderstanding here . This is not hand painted . The cockpit , turret gun and smaller details are handed painted everything else is airbrushed . I wish I could hand paint like this for fuselage work !

Terri
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 11:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello The Girl

You have done an excellent build with extra detail in just the right places. And the paint and weathering are just awesome. And I wouldn't worry so much about the color not being light enough. I believe that if you hadn't told us, almost no one would ever know. Once again, very nice.

Gary

Thanks Gary for the positive encouragement
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 11:39 AM UTC
Terri,
Gotcha. Now it makes a lot more sense. See how easy it is to fool an old guy.
Joel
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 03:53 AM UTC
No worries Joel , these things happen from time to time

Terri
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 04:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

No worries Joel , these things happen from time to time
Terri

Terri,
But they happen to me nearly all the time.
Joel
DougCohen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,293 posts
AeroScale: 1,072 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 11:33 AM UTC
Great build and I think the color is just about perfect, some times the photos of these choppers in the sun makes them look lighter but I think your color is right on.

good job!
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 12:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Great build and I think the color is just about perfect, some times the photos of these choppers in the sun makes them look lighter but I think your color is right on.

good job!

Hello Doug ,

Thank you very much for your comments . Nice to have all of your guy's support

Yes sunlight has a habit of doing that ...

Terri
 _GOTOTOP