_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Encore Models question
Biggles2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
AeroScale: 121 posts
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2014 - 03:53 AM UTC
What's the concensus on Encore Models. I haven't heard the name before (supposedly a Squadron Shop product), but the P/E and instructions looks like Eduard's style. The instructions kind of suck as there is one section for building the plastic kit, then a separate section for the P/E. So there is a lot of going back and forth to see what you have to do when.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2014 - 04:09 AM UTC
The plastic is Roden's (usually), the resin is True Details and the etch is most often from Eduard. Squadron gathers the elements together and boxes it. They're usually an improvement over the basic kit, and very often have options not available anywhere else.
StukaJr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 346 posts
AeroScale: 292 posts
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2014 - 05:30 AM UTC
Squadron / Encore also includes improved instructional manual, that combines use of PE and resin into one workflow - it minimizes swapping between manuals when installing aftermarket parts.

These kits are quite a bargain - I have Werner Voss F.I in midst of being built and it's quite comprehensive - resin figure, 2 x alternate decals for yellow vs white tail possibilities, Ur.II resin engine (which pretty much leaves a spare styrene engine, which is quite good on its own), 2 x Eduard PE frets and other resin parts (cowling, control surfaces etc)... I'm not sure if Decals are original Roden or if upgraded as well.

The underlying plastic is still Roden though, so expect some fiddling and filling - once you are past that, it's difficult not to recommend Encore boxes enough (in my opinion).
Biggles2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2014 - 10:46 AM UTC
I have a low opinion of Rodent kits.
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 07:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have a low opinion of Rodent kits.

Not at all – the Roden 1:32 kits are, IMO, mostly very good to excellent! (Speaking from experience of having built about a dozen of them) I am currently building an 'off topic' Rolls Armored Car of theirs and, though it has some issues, is a very sweet kit indeed.

If you were to get the Encore version, You get AM decals (which is causing most of the problems with the original Roden kits) and etch in the bargain + some resin – so if the prize is good and its a subject you want to build – snatch it up!!!

Mikael
Biggles2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2014 - 02:16 AM UTC
I based my opinions on a Roden 1/48 Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter, which was the worst kit (warped fuselage, poor fit, and much clean-up and trimming) in armor, ships, as well as aircraft I've ever built. But I did buy the 1/32 Encore SE 5a. While not quite state-of-the-art, it's still seems to be a good kit, with resin and Eduard PE. Still, I miss modern conveniences like locating pins and holes .
lilmerkin
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7 posts
AeroScale: 7 posts
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2014 - 08:33 AM UTC
dropped through the door today,encores rendition of the bluemax pfalz worth the price just for the crazy lozenge ang resin casting og ursela andres
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2014 - 01:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I based my opinions on a Roden 1/48 Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter, which was the worst kit (warped fuselage, poor fit, and much clean-up and trimming) in armor, ships, as well as aircraft I've ever built. But I did buy the 1/32 Encore SE 5a. While not quite state-of-the-art, it's still seems to be a good kit, with resin and Eduard PE. Still, I miss modern conveniences like locating pins and holes .

The 1/32 kits are radically different from the Strutter. Remember they were trying something different with that kit so it's even fussier than the usual run of the mill you get from Roden.
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2014 - 07:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The 1/32 kits are radically different from the Strutter. Remember they were trying something different with that kit so it's even fussier than the usual run of the mill you get from Roden.

Biggles – Yes I have heard that the 11/2 strutter is a very rough kit to build – but like Jessica says 1:32 are really a step up from this. But I agree – they do lack a bit of modern comforts in terms of locating pegs etc. – but, mostly, they build well into very nice models.

Biggles2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 06:04 AM UTC
Can I assume WNW are much better?
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 07:00 AM UTC

Roden Sop. 1.5 kit

Good kit.
Biggles2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 09:44 AM UTC
Yeah, but, any really good modeller can make even a mediocre model look really good.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 12:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Can I assume WNW are much better?

Yes, without reservation. You may happily buy any Wingnut kit sight unseen and be confident that you're getting simply the best 1/32 Great War models available.
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 09:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Yeah, but, any really good modeller can make even a mediocre model look really good.

My answer is perhaps a little more philosophical than Jessies – What makes one kit better than the the other depends on your approach and who you are as a modeler.

In terms of quality, detail and state of the art engineering WNW will beat Roden in a review anytime – I'd go so far as to say it is as good, or perhaps better, than the best 'Tamigawa' can offer. The choice of subjects is also outstanding – especially the two seaters are 'to die for' IMO.

However, because of the very tight tolerances (You could almost build a WNW kit almost without using glue), one can get into trouble, and I often run into issues when I join their fuselages – which may sound a bit surprising... This is probably due to the build up of paint layers making the interiors a very tight fit.

Roden on the other hand has a more 'loose' fit and softer detail, but this also makes them a bit more 'forgiving' when you assemble them. They are also IMO a bit more inviting if you want to use your hack saw to modify or change things. Taking out your Dremmel on a state of the art kit like WNWs is for some reason harder for me...

You also have to take into account the abysmal kits, we as stalwart 1:32 WWI modelers had to suffer prior to Roden releasing their Fokker DR1... When that was released – we all thought we'd died and gone to heaven

Lengthy post from me – Personally I like both Roden and WNW for different reasons. Both builds up into very nice models. Also – lets not forget, there are some nice offerings from other manufacturers too – like Special Hobby. Their Nieuports are really very nice...

Mikael

One of my Roden builds:

One of my WNWs:

Which is better?

P.S. That is a very nice looking Strutter Stephen!
Biggles2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 02:57 AM UTC
That was my point - you're a really good modeller!
Biggles2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2014 - 04:49 AM UTC
I'm having a real little adventure trying to get the engine and engine cowling to sit properly in my SE5a. Maybe I'll just leave the covers off to expose the engine as I've already bothered to do the wiring and other little bits of detailing on it.
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 08:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm having a real little adventure trying to get the engine and engine cowling to sit properly in my SE5a. Maybe I'll just leave the covers off to expose the engine as I've already bothered to do the wiring and other little bits of detailing on it.

Exposed engines always look cool!
 _GOTOTOP