_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
another SE5a question
Biggles2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
AeroScale: 121 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 07:10 AM UTC
This one regarding the Lewis gun on the Foster Mount (I have been doing my homework!). There's a thickish black cable running from just forward of the trigger guard and hanging down. In some pics it just seems to disappear into the cockpit, but other photos have it enter a hole in the cowling just to the forward left of the cockpit opening. Where does it go from there? Is it a cable for the pilot to pull the gun down into a position where he can actually use it? Can you see the end of the cable when you look into the cockpit?
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 08:05 AM UTC
The cable you are referring to, is probably the bowden cable for the gun trigger. I'm no expert on the SE.5 cockpit layout – but my guess would be it runs to the trigger situated on the pilots "stick".

Mikael
CaptnTommy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 424 posts
AeroScale: 389 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 08:26 AM UTC
If you go the the Wingnut Wings site. under Kits click on the SE5a "hisso" model the go to the color picture archive you can almost follow the Bowden Cable from the Lewis to the control stick (except where in goes under the cockpit floor).
one of the lever button triggers on the stick is for the Lewis and you can see the cables straped to the stick.

simple and effective technology.
Captn Tommy
Biggles2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
AeroScale: 121 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 10:50 AM UTC
Great! Thanks. Next time I buy a 1/32 it'll be a WNW!
 _GOTOTOP