_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
REVIEW
Roland C.IIa Late
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 25, 2014 - 11:52 PM UTC
The early aviation modelling world was on tenterhooks when Wingnut Wings posted a teaser on their website announcing a secret new release. Speculation ran riot as to what the subject could be - and it was certainly no disappointment when all was revealed! A pair of new kits of the Roland C.II, in both "Early" and "Late" versions. Here's a look at the latter.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2014 - 12:58 AM UTC
Nice review Rowan! This looks like another cracker
WoodshedWings
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 141 posts
AeroScale: 139 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2014 - 02:02 AM UTC
Wow! Your review just makes me want this more.
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2014 - 07:16 AM UTC
Cheers Mikael and Mike

I've promised Richard Alexander a build of this beauty once I'd cleared the decks a bit, so watch out for plenty of fun to follow. I reckon I'll be out of my "comfort zone" pretty quickly (but that's half the point ), so any and all advice and suggestions will be more than welcome.

All the best

Rowan
StukaJr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 346 posts
AeroScale: 292 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2014 - 08:03 AM UTC
My Roland C.II arrived yesterday and hit me in the face with fresh styrene smell - must be a thing, 'cause I like it I'll be building the first option, with over-propeller forward firing Lewis gun!

This is probably one of the more straightforward Early Aviation subjects - interior frame contains the "office" (good one) and the engine, fuselage closes around it and you are half the way home... No fiddly struts to deal with, rigging is limited and you can always send it to me (just kidding, you'll make a fine build)

Only complaint is that I've been painting my interiors as varnished wood on Rolands up until WnW came in with their research and common sense... Haven't yet made up my mind if I'll stick with purty wood or proper Roland interior gray...
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Monday, June 09, 2014 - 06:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Cheers Mikael and Mike

I've promised Richard Alexander a build of this beauty once I'd cleared the decks a bit, so watch out for plenty of fun to follow. I reckon I'll be out of my "comfort zone" pretty quickly (but that's half the point ), so any and all advice and suggestions will be more than welcome.

All the best

Rowan

Nice one Rowan, I look forward to your build – like you say, it should be a lot of fun! I'm currently waiting for my CII.a to arrive, curtesy of a well known modeling magazine, who asked me for a build, which I'm very excited about.

Mikael
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Monday, June 09, 2014 - 05:45 PM UTC
A very good review as usual Rowan

I jumped at the early version as soon as it was available because I have wanted to do the fish scale scheme for many years and now I want to produce a mask set for it However I think that I jumped the gun and I should have got this later version not the early one!

I need to sell the early version that I now have before I can commit to the later version, because of the import duty and the stupidly high post office "handling charge"!

However, the kit is another wonderful rendition by WNW
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 - 07:42 AM UTC
Hi Mikael

Great news! We've got to get you building for us too!

@ Mal - Aren't there any "Early" schemes you can work up for masks before you pass the kit on? Always turn any mis-spent cash into an investment wherever possible.

Once the home situation settles a bit, I'm really looking forward to getting started on the Roland.

All the best

Rowan
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 - 06:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

@ Mal - Aren't there any "Early" schemes you can work up for masks before you pass the kit on? Always turn any mis-spent cash into an investment wherever possible.

Yep I can do that but I don't really need this kit to do that but and I could use this kit to get the scales done but, as I will only build one of these (probably as I don't have time to build another) I need the late version so that I can build it

If I didn't have so many kits on the go I would buy the later kit and build along with you
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, June 13, 2014 - 08:25 AM UTC
Hi Mal

I guess I'm just being "über-efficient" in suggesting you make use of the parts you've got before flogging them. It'd be Sod's Law if you find an exotic "Early" scheme later on - only to find the "Late" kit parts don't work for it...

Us build together? Can you work that slow?

All the best

Rowan
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, June 13, 2014 - 06:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Us build together? Can you work that slow?

Ah ah! At the moment yes, it seems
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2014 - 09:07 AM UTC
My prayers have been answered Mick G (kynance) has done a swap with me, thanks mate

It will be next year before I can get around to build this but I will start on the masks as soon as I can; so that's about 6 months then!
kynance
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 5 posts
AeroScale: 4 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 - 10:15 AM UTC
 _GOTOTOP