_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
Academy kits
Sheehan1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 135 posts
AeroScale: 124 posts
Posted: Monday, May 26, 2014 - 06:27 PM UTC
I am a newcomber and just introduced myself on the forum. I am 66 and this is my first plastic model plane experience (I have some wooden boat kit experience) I have done a little reading about the better kits and it appears Tamiya is good but expensive. I thought I would ease myself in with a mid range product and my research indicates Academy made be OK. Please tell me if you disagree. I like the look of the following two models: 1. 1/48 Lockheed Martin F-22A Raptor and 2. 1/48 F 4B Phantom. Any thoughts on those two would be appreciated
Dragon164
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,909 posts
AeroScale: 508 posts
Posted: Monday, May 26, 2014 - 07:40 PM UTC
Hi Laurie,
Welcome, The F-4 is a very nice kit and I have heard the F-22 is not bad either.

I don't think you could go wrong with either.

Cheers Rob.
lentorpe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alava, Spain / España
KitMaker: 104 posts
AeroScale: 37 posts
Posted: Monday, May 26, 2014 - 07:41 PM UTC
Hi Laurie,
Welcome to the plastic department

I must confess that I don´t know those precise Academy kits. Generally speaking, Academy has a reputation of having these typical features:
- Correct proportions and general dimensions.
- Easy to build.
- Fit issues are not terrible, generally.
- Basic detail (always recessed panel lines, at least)
- Oversimplified cockpits and landing gears.
- Problematic decals in their oldest references.
- Endline: If bought cheap, then perfect models for learning.

Tamiya is not always as expensive as you think. I hate myself for sayng this but I would try Chinese online sellers as Hobbyeasy or Luckymodel. They use to have Asiatic kits at good prices. And, being Australian, you are closer to the Factory of the World and your shipping costs will be small. Another option is eBay; if you are NOT URGED and have the time and patience needed then you can track your favourite subjects until you pick them at bargain prices. I mean you search for economic "Buy Now" kits (+postage), if you don´t find any then select one bidding offer with the cheapest postage charge and bid your máximum acceptable Price - then wait. If you are not lucky and don´t win, select another offer and repeat the process. I got my 16 ton. unbuilt kits stash that way
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2014 - 03:02 AM UTC
Hi Laurie,

I've already responded to your questions about the Academy 1/48 scale F-86-30 Sabre in the cold war forum.

As for the 1/48 scale Academy F-4B, it's a state of the art kit. Part fit is nearly perfect, with just the intakes needing some work to fit correctly. Cockpit detail is very good, as is the seats. Unlike the king of the hill F-4 kits: Hasegawa, which uses the usual two piece fuselage halves, the Academy fuselage is top one piece that snuggly fits into the wings, engine, and exhaust sections. Very little work is needed for a perfect fit. Overall detail is excellent as well. The kit comes with Cartograf decals which speaks for themselves, and a full sheet by Academy of stencils, which took me nearly a month to apply. There's that many.

Here's the link to my build:

F-4B Build Blog

The kit builds up to a highly and well detailed model straight from the box.

As for the F22, I really can't say one way or the other, as my area of interest really ends with Vietnam, with the exception of Grumman and Republic aircraft.

Joel
Sheehan1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 135 posts
AeroScale: 124 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2014 - 08:58 AM UTC
Thanks David and Joel for the response. I will take your advice and check out some sellers and hopefully start posting a build log shortly. Love your avatar David. Those eyes of his were amazing. I am going to try and find a suitable avatar for myself. Maybe someone a bit better looking than Marty Feldman
ViperEnforcer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 204 posts
AeroScale: 202 posts
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2014 - 10:34 AM UTC
I have both kits and though these are good overall. The F-22 kit does have a couple major errors to note. One has to be aware of buying Academy kits, as they can be hit and miss; with more missies. Most of their 48th scale jets have gross shape inaccuracies and are generally not the best picks of those subjects: F-4E, F-14, F-15, F-16, MiG-29, etc..

However, they have improved over the past few years.
Their recent F-4B and F-4C are great kits, though not without some problems like the inaccurate slotted stabs. I have one ready for decals and though the fit is decent (not perfect by any means) I found that there parts break down was overdone making it more complex than it had to be. Despite that, it’s the best F-4B and C out there.

Academy’s F-22 has a few major errors; the nose and vertical tails being the worst aspect. The nose on the initial kits was too blunt. There are a lot of them out there, so one has to be careful. The vertical tails are well over a scale foot too short! This is quite noticeable built up. The stabs are also wrong, though not in shape but cross section; they are razor thin. There are Stab, Vertical Tail, and Nose/Radome corrections out there for the Academy F-22; just check Sierra Hotel Models.

Academy F-22 shape inaccuracies aside, the model does build up well, though the intakes are a PITA to get right and clean up. Detail is well done and the fit is decent. The exhaust nozzles need some help. Look for the Cross Delta PE set for the Academy F-22 Exhausts; well worth it.
Mike V
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2014 - 10:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have both kits and though these are good overall. The F-22 kit does have a couple major errors to note. One has to be aware of buying Academy kits, as they can be hit and miss; with more missies. Most of their 48th scale jets have gross shape inaccuracies and are generally not the best picks of those subjects: F-4E, F-14, F-15, F-16, MiG-29, etc..

However, they have improved over the past few years.
Their recent F-4B and F-4C are great kits, though not without some problems like the inaccurate slotted stabs. I have one ready for decals and though the fit is decent (not perfect by any means) I found that there parts break down was overdone making it more complex than it had to be. Despite that, it’s the best F-4B and C out there.

Academy’s F-22 has a few major errors; the nose and vertical tails being the worst aspect. The nose on the initial kits was too blunt. There are a lot of them out there, so one has to be careful. The vertical tails are well over a scale foot too short! This is quite noticeable built up. The stabs are also wrong, though not in shape but cross section; they are razor thin. There are Stab, Vertical Tail, and Nose/Radome corrections out there for the Academy F-22; just check Sierra Hotel Models.

Academy F-22 shape inaccuracies aside, the model does build up well, though the intakes are a PITA to get right and clean up. Detail is well done and the fit is decent. The exhaust nozzles need some help. Look for the Cross Delta PE set for the Academy F-22 Exhausts; well worth it.
Mike V

Mike,
I've been building the Academy 1/48 scale F-4B, and it's one of, if not the best fitting kit I've ever built. Every kit has some issues, and every kit has some inaccuracies. It's just the nature of our hobby.
Joel
chris1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 949 posts
AeroScale: 493 posts
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2014 - 07:03 PM UTC
Hey there Laurie,

I've found Academy Kits very much a hit or miss affair.
I tried their A-10 but the engines drove to distraction and yet the P-40s and Mustangs both B/C and D are excellent.

The next one I'll purchase will be the Crusader,it's a good 'un by all accounts

Chris
ViperEnforcer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 204 posts
AeroScale: 202 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 31, 2014 - 09:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Mike,
I've been building the Academy 1/48 scale F-4B, and it's one of, if not the best fitting kit I've ever built. Every kit has some issues, and every kit has some inaccuracies. It's just the nature of our hobby.
Joel

It does fit nice, though not as nice and clean as the Tamiya 48th F-16. It's definitely one the better fitting kits I've built (even if not finished) and Academy's best effort in 48th scale.

I think we all know not every kit is perfect and there are some inaccuracies with all kits. My point is that some inaccuracies are so bad they need to be pointed out. Academy's F-22 Vertical tails being well over a scale foot too short and the blunt nose (initial release lot) are quite significant errors compared to the F-4 stabs. While some modelers won't mind or don't care about major shape inaccuracies, many others do. They can make their own choice as to stick with a kit with such errors and address them, or build the much more accurate Hasegawa F-22; which BTW has the problem of heavy raised LO surface detail. Either way, it's good info to know.

Mike V
 _GOTOTOP